Newbie Looking for Coal Stove Help Harman or Alaska?

rich16liz

Post by rich16liz » Thu. Oct. 25, 2007 7:33 am

Looking at getting a coal stove to heat my home this winter. Have used a pellet stove but like the BTU output of coal. Leaning towards the Harman DVC-500 or the Alaska Cast Console II

Anyone own one of these? Likes/dislikes? Recommnedations?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 25, 2007 10:33 am

Hi Rich, welcome to the forum! :)

A few questions are in order to determine a good match for a stove:

1. How many sq. ft.?
2. How long are you gone from home at a time?
3. Do you have a chimney available where the stove will sit?
4. Can you easily set up a way to get the cold air to return to the stove and the warm air out to the rooms in the house?
5. How much clearance is available from combustable materials around the stove?

These are only a few of the questions that can be asked to get to your requirements, if you look at the posts on the forum for a bit you will see many threads concerning stove selection.

I have an Alaska Kast Konsole II (the older stoker mechanism) with a SWG power vent and I love it. I have the Coal-trol installed and my stove keeps the whole house within 1* F with no problem. The Coal-trol not only saves coal but allows an easy time when the weather is on the borderline of needing heat.

You are also looking at the DVC500, is your requirement for a direct vent?

This answer will just serve to get the discussion started, I'm sure there will be much more to follow! :)

FireJumper

Post by FireJumper » Thu. Oct. 25, 2007 1:06 pm

If you have a chimney you can use and are looking at Harman I would go with the Magnum Stoker rather then the DVC-500. It's cheaper and will give you more BTU then the DVC-500. Just my opinion.

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Thu. Oct. 25, 2007 11:10 pm

The DVC is a direct vent only stove and can't be used with a chimney. The Kast console II is usually intended to be used on a fire place hearth and is a side mounted stoker and hopper. The Kast console III is like yours Matt with the stoker opposite the door. If it isn't hooking into a fireplace then I would go with Alaska's channing III or the kast console III. Both of those even with a direct vent or power vent will be cheaper than the Harman. Also consider that the Harman stove company is being bought out and that they have a poor record for customer service from the factory as many of us here have had the plesure of experiencing. I have a channing III an I have had good luck with it. It has the same stoking mechanism as the kast console models. However if you have a leisure line dealer nearby check out one of there stoves. They have the coaltrol thermostat on them right from the factory which really will keep your room/house at an even temp without messing with feed settings all the time. Just set the coal trol fill it up and empty it.
Last edited by jpen1 on Fri. Oct. 26, 2007 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Oct. 25, 2007 11:21 pm

I also agree with jpen1 On the Alaska I would Look at Leisure line aswell
I would give jerry or Karen a call they are great People and they make a
Great Product And will stand behind it Here is they site http://www.leisurelinestoves.com give them a call

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”