Adding Fan Inside Og 6" Duct Pipe

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Oct. 22, 2007 1:02 pm

Here are some Draft inducers on E-bay that Greg mentioned
**Broken Link(s) Removed**

**Broken Link(s) Removed**There is 11 more on there now for less money goo luck if you Bid

wtfdidido

Post by wtfdidido » Sat. Dec. 22, 2007 7:43 pm

TJERNLUND AD-1 AUTO-DRAFT DRAFT INDUCER WOOD/COAL STOVE
Item number: 110133578332
as listed on ebay(dec 22)

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Sat. Dec. 22, 2007 9:00 pm

how\where would you use this fan. do you have pix of your install?

mina678

Post by mina678 » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 7:27 am

Well now you got me thinking again and that could be dangerous,I 'm the new guy from last month with the keystoker 70 hand fed which is out performing my expectations everyday.
After burning wood this thing is the best,
I have my fan that blows air off the stove piped up from the basement so I don't hear the motor running and it works ok there seems to be a draw from upstairs down(heated space) to the basement (not heated space).
My question this time is I have a forced air furnace that I don't use at all or very little I was wondering if I should open some of my return registers on the floor where the stove is and let the fan suck through them.
Some of the registers are near the fan in the basement and maybe that would make the loop better.
Addicted to coal and this forum
Thanks
Tim

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 10:29 am

Hi Tim, if you can somehow duct from those cold air return grills to the input side if the distribution fan on your stove, you will create a circulation loop.. Right now from your description, your distribution fan is pulling air off the basement floor? This is the coldest air in the house. If you can get the stove to reheat the air from upstairs by ducting it back to the stove's fan with out the air traveling across the basement floor and cooling... you will have a much greater heat output for upstairs..

Food for thought.

Greg L

mina678

Post by mina678 » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 12:29 pm

It is already plenty hot upstairs what I would like it to do is warm up the basement some.
Thats why I was thinking if I open up the returns the distribution fan in the basement might suck the warm air down to some degree.
I could duct it from the return and see if it does anything should I go to the furthest point or doesn't that matter in my situation ?

Thanks

Tim

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi Tim your situation is the reverse of the normal. Usually folks have too much heat in the basement and can't get it upstairs. This is why I recommend the return air to be ducted directly to the stove's fan. If you duct the upstairs return air to the stove's fan inlet your basement will be cooler and the upstairs hotter, not what you want.

So, you want your basement warmer... then I'd put a small box fan, like a window fan or a small pedistal fan behind the stove and run it on low.. I think the addional air circulating over the hot surface of the stove will add a significant amount of heat to your basement.

Let us know how it works for you

Happy and safe Holidays.

Greg L

mina678

Post by mina678 » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 5:33 pm

Now I think I even have you confused my stove is on the first floor and not in the basement,
But the fan is in the basement trying to draw air down stairs which Is not great.

Tim

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 23, 2007 8:56 pm

Yep, I'm confused, I missed that the stove is on the main floor and not in the basement. :D :lol: :) :shock:

OK, lets see, you need to pull air from the basement to hopefully get some of the warm air on the first floor to migrate down the stairs to the basement. So I guess hooking into the cold air return that pulls air from the basement would be a way to get air out of the basement. But you will need to cover the other grills to the return duct or you will be pulling air from all over the house, not just the basement.

I hope this makes sense this time.

Greg L

mina678

Post by mina678 » Mon. Dec. 24, 2007 5:31 am

I'm good at confusing people LOL How about since I already have the stoves distribution fan in the basement( and the stove on the first floor)I leave that the way it is. Say I just open up a return in the basement(forced air furnace)and blow air up stairs would that in turn cause more air to be forced (or sucked) down stairs.
I'm thinking if I opened up a return on the first floor It would make the loop stronger than just the distirbution fan trying to suck
Is this the right thinking ?

Tim

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Dec. 24, 2007 6:00 am

I think you may get some more air from upstairs through the return trunk, try it, and check it with smoke to see if air is flowing the way you want.

Greg L

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”