Lighting a Stoker

stockingfull

Post by stockingfull » Thu. Feb. 28, 2008 1:21 pm

I'm a little late to this party but I also use Match Light. As some have noted, I dig out a low spot toward the feed end of the grate and pile about a dozen briquets in there. I disengage the feed clutch, light the charcoal, let it burn until the starter fuel burns off, then start the blower. As the charcoal fire builds in intensity, I use my hand shovel to flatten it, then add some coal a few times when it gets hot. I then feather the feed clutch to bring feed coal to the fire while making maximum use of the charcoal. (The blower, of course, runs constantly until the thermostat turns it off, usually hours later.)

Usually takes me 45 min to an hour to get it to the point where I can walk away.

JSikorski

Post by JSikorski » Sat. Mar. 08, 2008 11:22 pm

Well my first coal stoker and I just started my first coal fire, life is good. Purchased a second hand Alaska Kast Console and installed it in my basement. The only problem is I'm sitting here in my offiice on a conference call rather than downstairs watching the fire. Oh well, maybe later. Thanks to all the great advice posted throughout the board. I've been following everything over the last week or so. I felt like I almost knew what I was doing even before I picked up the stove this afternoon. I'm running a Whitfield pellet stove in the livingroom. We'll see how it goes on it's maiden flight.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Mar. 09, 2008 12:03 am

Welcome J, you will be well pleased with the Alaska, can't beat the heat per $ for getting one of those old Triburners used. :)

Keep us posted on how it works out for you, I'm sure the pellet stove will not be long for this world in the upstairs! :P

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sat. Apr. 19, 2008 7:41 am

Can a torch be used? Propane? Map gas? Acetylene? Hand held nuclear device?

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sat. Apr. 19, 2008 7:58 am

Freddy wrote:Can a torch be used? Propane? Map gas? Acetylene? Hand held nuclear device?
Oxy-Acetylene works good, works even better with the cutting torch. When the coal is nice and orange hot the extra oxygen really helps to give it a kick. Be careful if you use this method, you don't want to blow hot coals on you. Cut back the oxygen pressure that you would use for cutting or hold the torch back away from the coal.

Complete Heat

Post by Complete Heat » Sun. May. 11, 2008 9:22 pm

A coal mouse is the best and easiest way to start these things. Light the fuse, close the door and walk away. It is that easy!

Mike

steevesj

Post by steevesj » Sat. May. 31, 2008 9:46 pm

Complete Heat wrote:A coal mouse is the best and easiest way to start these things. Light the fuse, close the door and walk away. It is that easy!

Mike
Where do you buy these coal mice?
Jon

szembek

Post by szembek » Wed. Aug. 06, 2008 11:49 am

I don't know where to buy these coal mice either. I just break 2-3 pieces of charcoal, heat them with a torch, then turn the stove on. Once the charcoal is red hot, I put a handful of coal on top. Wait a few minutes, then 1 more handful. Works flawlessly every time, and I've only burned coal for one season. 1 $5 bag of charcoal looks like it will last me at least 2 heating seasons since I only light the stove a few times a year. I'd be interested in trying one of these coal mice though for if somebody other than me needs to start a fire. Do you bury the mouse in coal, or does it burn long enough for the stoker to push coal into it?

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Wed. Aug. 06, 2008 2:21 pm

I use to have a link to an internet site that sells them. I'm sure someone will post it here, eventually.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Fri. Aug. 08, 2008 8:39 pm

I know CSM in Munson Mass. has them....I'll be picking some up when I go to me first load of the season. I've had good luck with charcoal as well , (especially if you soak it a bit in diesel) ;)

jrn8265

Post by jrn8265 » Tue. Aug. 19, 2008 9:45 am

Hi, anyone have this coal mouse internet site purchase link? thanks!

Linc
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stoker

Post by Linc » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 4:27 am

I purchased the paper bag starters from my local dealer. $.75 ea or 15 for $10. They work great. Stove lit 1st try. :D

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 4:54 am

The Fireplce Gallery has coal mice but they don't ship. He was considering maybe doing some online business but with a item like that I was wondering if UPS and FedEx would even allow it. I'm sure its out of the question with USPS but then again they have to get shipped to the store. Don't those things use magnesium, that stuff burns HOT. I'd imagine if you had a big enough box hot enough to go right though vehicle or plane.

Greyhound
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 105
Other Heating: Lenox Oil HA, Heat Pump

Post by Greyhound » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 8:24 am

Probably gets shipped with a Haz-Mat sticker or whatever they put on things like primers for ammunition. Of course, I think a lot of those are made as a cottage industry, so they may just get delivered in person.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Aug. 26, 2008 11:50 am

Greyhound wrote:so they may just get delivered in person.
I believe that is the case for the Fireplce Gallery as he mentioned the person being in the store. But if you're a place like Complete Heat that is hundreds of miles away...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”