Lighting a Stoker

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post by dave brode » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 11:41 pm

I'm lazy. I used an oxy-acetylene torch. 1 minute or so.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 9:32 am

Me too. See photo below I posted much earlier in this thread. I'll be doing in again soon, firing up for the season.

gtchief

Post by gtchief » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 10:12 am

I just got my Harman magnum installed and started it up today. I had matchlight from last year so I used them and a torch. It probably took me longer than it should, but it was my first time. I probably still have to work on getting it adjusted right, but its lit and I'm happy for no more hand fired.

GeorgiePorgie

Post by GeorgiePorgie » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 11:11 am

It's great that you Macho Guys have torches, but when the average coal stoker user, especially the beginners, need something more accessible, and ask for help on starting their stoves, torches are NOT the way to go . You are simply scaring off more and more people to go the "Coal " route for heat. We need more people using coal for heat, and we need to show them lots of the simplicity and other benefits.

gtchief

Post by gtchief » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 12:08 pm

By torch I meant a small propane torch as used for plumbing. I've started my old hand fired without one in the past, but the match light has been sitting around so I used the easier method. I used maybe 12 briquettes across the grate in 2 lines and once there was a nice glow in between I dumped on some coal and watched as the fire grew.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Oct. 19, 2010 12:27 pm

GeorgiePorgie wrote:It's great that you Macho Guys have torches, but when the average coal stoker user, especially the beginners, need something more accessible, and ask for help on starting their stoves, torches are NOT the way to go . You are simply scaring off more and more people to go the "Coal " route for heat. We need more people using coal for heat, and we need to show them lots of the simplicity and other benefits.
Georgie...This thread has gone 13 pages. If a beginner can't find something in there that will work for them, well I think they just don't deserve to burn coal. :lol:

tikigeorge
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6

Post by tikigeorge » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 8:39 pm

Charcoal briquettes and map gas sure beat the old way of starting a coal fire. Give a try, no use paper and kindling.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Oct. 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Four Tablespoons of diesel in a cup or two of cheap wood pellets. Shake well.
Pour wood pellets into a 'valley' of rice coal, made on the top of the burn grate.
Pull the rice up the sides of the wood pellets, but do not fully cover them.
Light the wood pellets with a match or lighter.
Once they get red hot, the rice will begin to burn.
Simple

A bag of soft wood pellets ($5) will last 4 or 5 years, depending on how many times you need to start your stoker during the burn season. Just keep it sealed.

Hot Rocks
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Water Coil

Post by Hot Rocks » Mon. Oct. 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Lite stoker first time I have a hyfire II have switches on back of hopper I turn switches off for feed motors & convection blowers, leave combustion blowers on, use cowboy charcoal & propane torch, add a little coal on top, after about 5 min. turn on feed motors & convection blowers, Drink beer & enjoy the heat.

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Tue. Oct. 26, 2010 7:31 am

Hot Rocks wrote:Lite stoker first time I have a hyfire II have switches on back of hopper I turn switches off for feed motors & convection blowers, leave combustion blowers on, use cowboy charcoal & propane torch, add a little coal on top, after about 5 min. turn on feed motors & convection blowers, Drink beer & enjoy the heat.
That's the ticket! Especially the last part!

jacknanticoke
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by jacknanticoke » Tue. Oct. 26, 2010 7:55 am

I use a piece of cardboard as a dam on the grate and pile up some rice coal behind it with a "coal rodent" buried in the pile. I then use some paper / cardboard to get a fire going in the ash pan so that it will heat up the chimney and get a draft going. Then Iight the wick, let it start, and plug in the stove.

I'd like to skip the whole ash pan fire bit cause it gets a bit smelly from the smoke, but I was told to do so by the installers. They said I have the chance of getting CO in the house if I just light the coal without having any draft first.

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Tue. Oct. 26, 2010 3:34 pm

jacknanticoke wrote:........I'd like to skip the whole ash pan fire bit cause it gets a bit smelly from the smoke, but I was told to do so by the installers. They said I have the chance of getting CO in the house if I just light the coal without having any draft first.
Jack,

Several on here have suggested using a hair dryer to heat the flue. Try it you may eliminate the smoke part. All you need is to get some heat in the flue. For me, I just take 1/2 sheet of newspaper, crumble it to make a torch, remove the ash pan and hold the lit paper fire right in front of the flue. You will immediately know when the draft starts.

Rick

efo141

Post by efo141 » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Hey I did it even easier-called my dad-he flew in from GB WI and showed me how to light it.Think he'll do this every year? haha Ok so he did use started logs broken up, and little pieces of wood and lighter.No torch. Threw on the blower and a little more wood and waalaaa. Fire scarecrow! Less than 10 minutes. I know I can, I know I can, do it my self. LOL

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Mon. Nov. 01, 2010 9:46 pm

efo141 wrote:Hey I did it even easier-called my dad-he flew in from GB WI and showed me how to light it.Think he'll do this every year? haha Ok so he did use started logs broken up, and little pieces of wood and lighter.No torch. Threw on the blower and a little more wood and waalaaa. Fire scarecrow! Less than 10 minutes. I know I can, I know I can, do it my self. LOL
You'll get the hang of it in no time Paula! :)

BillMarti
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by BillMarti » Tue. Nov. 09, 2010 9:34 pm

The easiest way I found is the cheapest. Get yourself a bag of charcoal and some charcoal lighter (perfumed kerosene) put about 5-7 brickets in and squirt some charcoal lighter in let it soak for a minute or so then light it off. Now let it burn foe a few minutes then turn combustion air on. Let them get a full glow about them. Throw a shovel of coal on top wait about a 1/2 hour or so until you get a good burn then turn your coal feed on. Now your done sit back and be amazed at the flames. Remember don't go near the pretty flames :oops:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”