Lighting a Stoker

n0useforaname
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Baseboard Electric Backup

Post by n0useforaname » Fri. Feb. 05, 2016 9:37 am

raiderfan wrote:
Just make sure you are putting it over the holes in the grate.. then putting coal around/on top of it with only the wick sticking out. Turn the stove on so your air is blowing.. then light the wick and close the door. That's all I've ever done, works great.[/quote]

Ok. I know I have definitely been lighting the wick BEFORE plugging the stove in, so I'll try to plug the stove in first this time around. Thanks. (I could have very well been putting the mice to high up on the grate - above the holes - as well). I'll have to keep an eye on that, too. Thanks again.[/quote]

Yeah, you need that air flowing to make it HOT... Think about it this way.. if you unplug a stoker when you only have a small bit of coal burning, it will fizzle out completely in 15 minutes.. and that's already pre-burnt flaming hot coal.

raiderfan
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Anthracite

Post by raiderfan » Fri. Feb. 05, 2016 10:28 am

n0useforaname wrote:
raiderfan wrote:
Just make sure you are putting it over the holes in the grate.. then putting coal around/on top of it with only the wick sticking out. Turn the stove on so your air is blowing.. then light the wick and close the door. That's all I've ever done, works great.
Ok. I know I have definitely been lighting the wick BEFORE plugging the stove in, so I'll try to plug the stove in first this time around. Thanks. (I could have very well been putting the mice to high up on the grate - above the holes - as well). I'll have to keep an eye on that, too. Thanks again.[/quote]

Yeah, you need that air flowing to make it HOT... Think about it this way.. if you unplug a stoker when you only have a small bit of coal burning, it will fizzle out completely in 15 minutes.. and that's already pre-burnt flaming hot coal.[/quote]

Makes sense. The lady where I get my coal and mice from told me to light the mouse and wait for it to flash (ignite) then plug in the stove. I'm eager to try it the way you describe and see if it works for me (along with making sure the mouse is over the holes on the grate!)

raiderfan
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Channing
Coal Size/Type: Rice - Anthracite

Post by raiderfan » Mon. Feb. 08, 2016 7:50 am

One mouse start up yesterday! Plugged the stove in THEN lit the wick and shut the door. Thank you.

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Feb. 08, 2016 7:54 am

Nice rf. :)

Pocono Pete
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing 111
Coal Size/Type: Rice Anthracite

Post by Pocono Pete » Mon. Feb. 15, 2016 1:01 pm

I also build a dam at the end of the grate made out of cardboard and have the controller set between 2 and 2.5. The cardboard stops the coal from falling off the grate to fast. Little tip the dealer showed me and it seems to work for me.

captcaper

Post by captcaper » Wed. Dec. 28, 2016 5:03 am

I do the handful of cowboy charcoal in a coffee can dampened with some paint thinner or lighter fluid.. dump it on the grate hit it surrounded by rice coal then hit it with a lighter and off it goes..

Ctraffie
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130
Coal Size/Type: Pea Coal

Post by Ctraffie » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 9:42 am

traderfjp wrote:
Wed. Oct. 17, 2007 11:13 pm
Cheapheat: I cook all the dinners in my house but the wife does the dishes. I guess it's not a bad deal since she also does my laundry. I agree that the "mice" are the easiest method. Where are you getting them for 1.00? I thought wikipedia was a dictionary?? I was just thinking how thankfull I am that there is an alternative to oil. I had to buy 300 gallons this week for hot water and I paid 2.60 a gallon. 2-3 years ago I paid 65 cents. It cost about 2600 to fill up my oil tank. Now if I could only find a way to get my own coal froma breaker I would really be saving.
I am from Southern NH and for me it’s worth driving 6 hours west to Lehigh Coal in Tamaqua PA to get 5 tons . Just went about a month ago and it was $165/ ton. Over double that here in bags.

StanT

Post by StanT » Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 1:00 pm

I use wood pellets, no smell, lights great, Put some in a jar, put lighter fluid on them wait 3 to 4 minutes, make hole in the coal, light .

Good luck Stant

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sat. Nov. 17, 2018 9:20 am

StanT wrote:
Fri. Nov. 16, 2018 1:00 pm
I use wood pellets, no smell, lights great, Put some in a jar, put lighter fluid on them wait 3 to 4 minutes, make hole in the coal, light .

Good luck Stant
Stan when I started this thread 12 years ago I was trying to light a Harman VF3000. Now that I have an EFM I gotta agree with you. A handful of wood pellets works great. A 40 lb bag of pellets should last me the rest of my life!

StanT

Post by StanT » Sun. Nov. 18, 2018 7:40 am

I have tried everything, I have found that wood pellets work the best, Put some in a jar add some kero or lighter fluid. wait 5 to 10 minutes for it to soak into the pellets,, works great.

Stant

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 18, 2018 8:13 am

shredded paper, broken up charcoal, wrapped in newspaper or small paper bag, bury it in some coal, light, and turn on stove, usually works every time. our local hardware store sells the coal mice for $1.

StanT

Post by StanT » Mon. Nov. 19, 2018 1:44 pm

I use pellet stove pellets, some kero, works the best,
Stant

lamina1982
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker econo 90
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lamina1982 » Tue. Nov. 20, 2018 7:34 am

I just started mine last night and was the easiest fastest yet. Handful woodpellets handfull charcoal on that coal pushed up around, lit with torch and took off great!

swattley01
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Gnome 40
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalters Vale Oak 315
Coal Size/Type: nut / rice
Other Heating: March Brownback potbelly #12

Post by swattley01 » Sun. Dec. 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Hi, try to wrap the crushed matchlight in a sheet of news paper, place your coal all around this paper ball and light the paper and turn on the blower for the coal grate, mine worked every time after try this, before i did this it was 50/50 on the coal lighting

i've tried matchlite with mixed results. This is only my second season so I have a few things to learn. I usually make a pile of crushed charcoal (pain in the butt) and then onceit gets going I dump a cup of coal on the fire. I also use a horshoe made out of band iron to keep the coal pieces on the grate. Can anyone give me tips to get my succcess rate to 100%?
[/quote]

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Mon. Dec. 10, 2018 8:55 am

I was going to try the can method but then saw the nut shells & cherry pits that I normally throw in the hopper. I had one mouse left so figured I'd try the pistachio & cherry pit as starters, just dumped some on the mouse & in a line across the grate & the coal behind with a bit on top. Lit it up & then plugged it in, best & quickest start up I ever had (I can see where pellets would work as well) I dislike the thought of putting accelerant in there. I eat pounds of black cherries in season & the nuts mainly in winter so didn't have to buy anything just not throw them away.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”