Rotted Hopper

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Mar. 01, 2012 11:21 pm

whistlenut wrote:Kinda like oil pans that rust through on ford trucks(mostly fords).
Yep, already been through that nighmare. How the hell they rust through when there is oil on the on the inside is beyond me!!!!!
whistlenut wrote:The body shops and plow guys are ecstatic....lots of business! :|
Forecast from the body shop network tonight was 8-9 wrecks. Somewhat less in the lower elevations.........Yeah baby.....bring it on !!!

Rick

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. Mar. 02, 2012 4:43 pm

Rick 386 wrote:whistlenut wrote:
Kinda like oil pans that rust through on ford trucks(mostly fords).

Yep, already been through that nighmare. How the hell they rust through when there is oil on the on the inside is beyond me!!!!!
I replaced 4 oil pans.What a PITA. They paint they used on the oil pans keep all the moisture in between the bare metal and paint and the it would rust and blister between. The last one I done sprayed carb. cleaner then siliconed over the holes and saved me 20 hrs. of work

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. Mar. 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Yep, the carb cleaner/silicone has been working on my 350 Chev truck for a few yrs. I'm to old to get into that replacement crap.It's sure not like just dropping & replacing anymore.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 10:22 pm

freetown fred wrote:I use old drained oil & a paint brush. Point being--doing something is better then doin nothing. Like Sierra stated, I've got a 1990 Chev 4X4 truck & have way less rust then a bunch of people around here with much newer vehicles.
There is so much truth to "doing something is better then doin nothing" ! My buddy and I always try to keep our trucks and anything metal in top shape even if what we do makes appearance suffer slightly. We believe it is better to try something than sit in the house and wonder what happened to everything that we ignored. LPS3, oil, cold galvanizing, rust o'leum, are just a few of tried and proven solutions with rust. High heat areas can prove challenging as not all products will be safe in high heat areas, common sense and research will prove worthwhile. There is a product called "Weld through Primer" that may prove helpful where heat is an issue, just a thought.

TractorDre
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Ambassador and Montana//Harman Mark 1
Baseburners & Antiques: Atlantic Kitchen stove #40
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil

Post by TractorDre » Sun. Mar. 04, 2012 10:58 pm

New here.

I have an Efel Montana that after 15 years the bottom of the hopper disappeared during the winter use and needs replacement parts(Both front and rear half).

Since I can't get new parts I was thinking of welding on some plates.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 7:47 am

And they'll come out better then anything you could buy. Just one old farmers thoughts. ;)

TractorDre
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Efel Ambassador and Montana//Harman Mark 1
Baseburners & Antiques: Atlantic Kitchen stove #40
Coal Size/Type: Pea
Other Heating: oil

Post by TractorDre » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 9:52 am

I hope so. :)

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:03 pm

heat lightweight motor oil. melt paraffin wax in motor oil. spray mixture while hot. no more rust.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 5:38 pm

With the paraffin, does it rub/wear/melt off easily? I know the oil base will stay.
Berlin wrote:heat lightweight motor oil. melt paraffin wax in motor oil. spray mixture while hot. no more rust.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:14 pm

depends on the ratio of paraffin to oil; on my truck and cars I spray with more oil so that it has the consistency of grease, on my stokers I spray so that when it dries it has the consistency of a solid, oily, wax. I re-apply at the end of every season and I dump half a quart or so of oil down my hopper to sit in the auger tube; it's stopped rust since I've owned it. I also oil my coal which helps prevent not only rust, but excessive wear on my auger etc. as well as pretty much eliminating all dust from the coal itself.

freetown fred

Post by freetown fred » Mon. Mar. 05, 2012 6:19 pm

Gottcha, sounds like a real good preventive to me. :) I oil the snot out of my hopper & boot--Plus pretty much the whole inside of the Hitzer--no rust showing what-so-ever ;)

Fire375
Verified Business Rep.

Post by Fire375 » Tue. Mar. 06, 2012 7:09 am

On the Hitzer stokers they went with all stainless steel hoppers. It will be awhile until those rust out! :D

jeff216410

Post by jeff216410 » Tue. Mar. 20, 2012 9:41 am

When I got my new stove I painted with coal hopper with the black paint called POR15, the auto guys in here I'm sure are aware of it. A nice heavy wet coat and it dried super glossy. The coal does not stick at all, and no rust at all either. I burn (sometimes very wet) Blaschak coal and have no rust at all in the hopper.

dave brode
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KAA-2
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: used to have a 5 section Red Square
Coal Size/Type: rice anthracite

Post by dave brode » Tue. Mar. 20, 2012 10:05 am

jeff216410 wrote:When I got my new stove I painted with coal hopper with the black paint called POR15, the auto guys in here I'm sure are aware of it. A nice heavy wet coat and it dried super glossy. The coal does not stick at all, and no rust at all either. I burn (sometimes very wet) Blaschak coal and have no rust at all in the hopper.
Good idea! That would do very well in a hopper. It's wonderful stuff. I recommend two coats, 2nd after the 1st just tacks up. I brush painted my 14ga flue pipe with it, as well as the "black" pipe on my system and the tube on my auger. It looks like it was done yesterday. I spilled some on my basement floor while doing the underside of a truck 15 years ago. It's still there. If you don't mix dirt in with it like I usually do [LOL], the brush stroke all lay out and it looks like glass.

Dave

Attachments

Oct09^09.JPG
.JPG | 131.1KB | Oct09^09.JPG
Oct09^06.JPG
.JPG | 96.9KB | Oct09^06.JPG
Aug29^05.JPG
.JPG | 65.4KB | Aug29^05.JPG

sterling40man
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker K6

Post by sterling40man » Tue. Mar. 20, 2012 2:56 pm

dave brode wrote:I brush painted my 14ga flue pipe with it
:shock: That's some thick stuff! Where'd you get it?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”