Can We Use Power Vent W/ Top Mount Hole?

2blessingsfromabove

Post by 2blessingsfromabove » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 2:11 pm

We have just purchased a Channing III (used) we have our permit and wondered if anyone has or knows if you can use a power vent w/ a top mounted pipe?? :wink:
Any pointers for setting it up too? :?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 3:01 pm

here is a link to the way a SWG power vent is used on the Liesure Line Stokers. The same set up will apply to the channing. Your local plumbing supply can supply you with the SWG 4HD model (Stainless Steel). I paid $197 for mine from RJ Walker (wholesale plumbing supply).
http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/
You will need 6" stove pipe and fittings, a 6" to 4" reducer to adapt to the power vent, and a 6" barometric damper. You will also need a speed control to be able to adjust the power vent to the right amount of draft. I would recommend buying a Dwyer MK II model 25 manometer to measure the draft or find a friend who has a draft gauge. This tool is needed to properly set up the speed once you are burning for the first time.

There are lots of folks on here that are using the new style Channing III, I myself have only used the old Triburner style of Alaska Stoves. If it is the old style (carpet to push coal instead of paddle) I can help you. I'm sure once you get ready to we can help answer specific questions on how to get everything going. :)

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 4:18 pm

I must be missing something but quoting from Fields web site, "Patented SWG Power Venters are ETL and cETL listed for all LP gas, natural gas, or oil-fired heating equipment." Notice solid fuel, wood, pellets or coal is not mentioned. When I called Fields engineering department last season they said the Fields SWG is not approved for coal use, and they don't recommend it be used with coal. Knowing that Leisure Line sells stoves with a "SWG like" power vent I questioned them in a private e-mail. Quoting a portion of Jerry's response, "The SWG-4HDs is a Field Control product, but I hold the UL approval for it to be used with a Leisure Line coal stove." So while I don't know the details of any product modifications or what was involved in getting the UL approval, I would caution anyone from using anything other than a Leisure Line purchased SWG power vent. Using a Leisure Line SWG on another stove brand would not transfer any UL listing. For stove owners using Fields SWG power vents purchased through a heating supply company are you modifying the unit? If so how?

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 4:44 pm

If you purchase a SWG 4HD from Liesure Line or from Alaska (i have personally looked at the units in the boxes) there is no apparent difference form the unit I purchased at the plumbing supply house (at least not as can be noticed outwardly or by part marking). I would not recommend purchasing a unit that would cause a problem with your insurance company.

My unit has not been inspected by my insurance agent (State Farm) so I cannot say if it would be approved. So basically I could be self insured when it comes to a coal stove related fire (I checked with my agent and he said chances are no problem with use of a coal stove, unless of course they can prove I caused the fire). I choose to use common sense and a fair amount of self reliance, others may want to do as they feel is right for them.

Also the Authority having Jurisdiction (probably your local Fire Chief) has the final vote as to conformance to NFPA and related fire safety rules and regulations.

Thanks Yanche for adding a note of caution to this thread. When dispensing or using advice on this forum it is always best to remember, you get what you pay for. :)

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Oct. 11, 2007 11:33 pm

One more item I forgot to mention, refer to the link for an excellent manual for safe installation of you SWG power vent on an Alaska Stove:
http://www.townleycoal.com/pdfs/alaska_power_vent ... manual.pdf
One thing to note is the installation of a fume switch, they are available from a coal stove dealer with instructions for installation if your stove does not have one.

nwaelder
Verified Business Rep.

Post by nwaelder » Fri. Oct. 12, 2007 12:38 am

The powervent from Leisure Line is different. Ask Jerry.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Oct. 12, 2007 8:48 am

Will do, thanks Neil. Always learning! :)

ken

Post by ken » Fri. Oct. 12, 2007 12:02 pm

you guys are so smart on these stoves. I hope someday I can answer a qestion lol. it's great you guys take the time to help us rookies. :)

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Oct. 13, 2007 12:45 am

ken wrote:you guys are so smart on these stoves. I hope someday I can answer a qestion lol. it's great you guys take the time to help us rookies. :)
Hey ken That's what this forum is all about Helping

one another That is why this forum is So Great and Having some

Fun aswell Boy it is Nice having Everything back to Normal Being that you

Know who is Gone Hip Hip Hair Ray :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”