Harman 44 Magnum Update - Still Not Fixed

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Sun. Mar. 06, 2011 8:54 pm

OK, so it started out we thought the motor was bad.

See thread here: 44 Magnum Coal Stoker: FEEDER GEARMOTOR - 2RPM Where to Buy?

Turned out the circuit board has fried. We ordered a new one it took about two weeks to come in. I swapped out the circuit board and plugged it in & the motor turned a few times and stopped. Long story short, the bearing that's part of the entire auger assembly froze. After some persuasion with a 5 lb sledge and a copper rod, we popped the auger out. I noticed the old circuit board has a 7A fuse on it & the new one had a 3A fuse on it & Harman changed the part number.

What I think happened. The auger assembly started to freeze and the motor was using extra amps to turn the auger. This cause the circuit board to heatup & fry. If it had the 3A fuse in it, that probably would have blown & the circuit board would have been saved.

So, I'll order the auger assembly tomorrow and hopefully we'll get that in by the end of the week!!

Stay tuned.....

I now know what makes the 44 magnum tick! ....and knowing is half the battle :lol:

MURDOC1
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark 3 Top Flue

Post by MURDOC1 » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 10:32 am

beatle78 wrote:I now know what makes the 44 magnum tick! ....and knowing is half the battle
Glad to hear this G.I. Joe, you are a real American Hero!!! :D :D :D

beatle78

Post by beatle78 » Mon. Mar. 07, 2011 12:30 pm

Hey, we lucked out! They had the auger in stock. Turned out this is the exact same auger that Harman uses in their pellet stoves.

I also looked at Harman's stoker mechanism for their pellet stoves. It looks identical to the 44 magnum. I just revived another thread where an owner with the Harman P61 (pellet stove) was burning rice coal with no problems. Here is it.... Faq About Coal in a Grain or Pellet Stoker???

davisrs
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman 44 MagnumRic
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Electric Baseboard

Post by davisrs » Mon. Feb. 12, 2018 12:47 am

Parts for my 2001 44 Magnum are becoming rare, but I just finished replacing the burn pot in 2016 with the P-61 burn pot and now the auger bearing froze up in January. It was a real bear totally disassembling the rear of the stove to get to the auger since it is up against a brick wall, but I got it.
A new auger from Mountain Heart Products (I could only find one other supplier who was more expensive) got the new auger to me 2 weeks ago.
Now this little stove is maintaining a nice even 70 deg even when it is below "0" outside!
With those P-61 parts, this stove actually operates more smoothly and burns better than when new!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”