What Hot Water Coil to Use

maurizziot

Post by maurizziot » Thu. Mar. 03, 2011 10:46 am

I have a leisure line bottom vent pioneer stove, I wanted to know what Hilkoil coil I should use, and should I mount it
towards the top of the stove about 2" from the top (Horizontally), if someone has some pic's that would be great. I have an 80 gallon storage now.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Mar. 03, 2011 12:46 pm

Do a search on HOT WATER COILS, there are numerous threads on here on them.

Usually about 1/2 way between the burner and top, Depends on any obstructions or things in the stove or on the sides. You have to make sure it is only single wall steel too that you don't open the fire box up to convection air, make sure everything is sealed good. Some put them right on top of the fire....
I guess as long as you have all the safety stuff and circulation piping correct, shouldn't matter too much.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 7:57 am

A single loop coil is usually the one that gets installed in the Pioneer, if you have two to three people using the hot water that should be plenty large enough to keep the tank stocked up with water. As WNY said there are lots of threads on the different ways to hook up the coil with a domestic water system using a circulator and PRV to make sure there is no chance of making a steam generator.

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 8:49 am

Watch out for Hilkoil --Buyer Beware!! Be sure to read the other link on that thread ...

You've been warned. :nono:

Interesting Info for Those Looking to Purchase Hilkoil Coils

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 8:54 am

Thanks for the input Smitty, every one out there should understand that Anthracite fly ash is very corrosive, all stoves should be immediately cleaned and protected at shut down!

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 9:00 am

More of a warning against that guy's business practices.

A warranty should be honored. In this case, I was accused of cleaning them in acid. The owner of Hilkoil obviously doesn't have a clue about the market he's in ... or he's just being deceptive to make a buck. After dealing with them, my money is on the latter.

I'd recommend these guys over Hilkoil any day: http://www.therma-coil.com/ They can custom build any coil you want, too.

maurizziot

Post by maurizziot » Fri. Mar. 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Does the coils work in the coal stoves, searched hundreds of post but nobody say it works. I was going to tie the hot water loop onto my boiler and if I have so shed some he I can to a zone like the basement zone. I am not going to hook up the hilkoil, to the domestic water but to the coil in side. I'm going to run my boiler cir pump continuously and while the coal stove is on the water will cirulate and potentially satisfy the boiler or help in the amount the boil cycles. If any has tried this I would like to see if it works. And did any relief valves go of. Or dump addition heat to a local zone
And I know there are posts on this not exactly but. Just can search any more

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 2:11 pm

Yes it will work for this purpose, just remember you will only get out as much heat as you put in with burning coal (minus waste out the stack and heat transferred to space). For example if you are putting 50,000 btuh into the stove that is ~ 4 pounds per hour and will probably result in ~ 15,000 - 20,000 btuh going to your boiler minus any piping and other loss. Depending on how much water your boiler holds this could work out really well.

maurizziot

Post by maurizziot » Tue. Mar. 08, 2011 9:56 pm

Thank Matt for the response, I'm going to hook it up this weekend, here's a pic of what I installed so far

cn670
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum
Coal Size/Type: Rice or buck
Other Heating: Wall mount propane, as needed

Post by cn670 » Mon. Dec. 21, 2015 8:01 pm

I have 5 coils in a Harman magnum. 4 are used for In floor heating , with a 40 gallon storage tank. 1 coil is used for DHW, also a 40 gallon storage . DHW is ok for our household of 2 people, recovery is slow. My guess for 80 gallon you want no less than 2 coils ( t21) hilkoil. My oldest coil has been in use since 2007, newer ones are 2011 and 2015. All were purchased from hilkoil, no issues with the product to this point. The only complaint I have is slow shipping, 10 to 14 days after purchase.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”