What a B@LL Buster!!! -Or- Keystoker Is in Da House!

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Well, today was the day I've been dreading for 7 months. I now have my Keystoker sitting in my basement. I couldn't put it off any longer, and had to just get on my pair of cajones and move the sucker into the house.

In reality, it was easier than I expected, but I always fear the worst. But, it took just renting an appliance dolly, some furniture pads, and the help of my next door neighbor who is fortunately stronger than my 6'0", 168 lb. frame. Further assisting was my wonderfully patient wife, who also could kick my butt easily in spite of being 'only' 5'7".

Anyway, I just strapped the stove to the dolly after wrapping it with a furniture pad. It had to go up 3 steps plus a 90 degree turn to get into the house from the garage, move through the laundry room, several turns to the top of the stairs, and then down the stairs to the basement (all finished) with a 180 deg. turn halfway down. My visions of the stove going through the wall were unfounded due to some excellent patience (again) by my wife. So, the three of us got it down to the basement without any injuries to either body or household. I did knock about another pound of ash out of the top recesses of the stove again. I think this stove was taken out because it was likely clogged solid with fly ash. Now I have to put it all back together!

I'll post up some pics after I shrink them down a little. Gotta have some dinner now!

Chris

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 6:09 pm

Here's a few pics. The camera doesn't do the charcoal color justice. It's a very rich finish, with a hint of metallic in it, a very 'steely' grey/black color.

Now I have to go pick up the 54"x54" corner hearth pad and then get the stove up on it and the venting setup with the 5" core bit through the concrete wall.

Chris

Attachments

Dsc03424sm.jpg

Pic of the stove in the basement

.JPG | 33.7KB | Dsc03424sm.jpg
Dsc03416sm.jpg

Looking the rest of the way down

.JPG | 14.7KB | Dsc03416sm.jpg
Dsc03414sm.jpg

Top of the stairs

.JPG | 11.9KB | Dsc03414sm.jpg

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Sep. 30, 2007 11:42 pm

Hey Chris, nice job fixin her up! The previous owner was not big on cleaning the stove eh!? It is amazing how those stokers can collect ash in lots of places you can't get to!

I have finally dragged all the other stoves out and am disassembling, sand blasting and generally breaking my back and creating pain in the brain pan. :banghead: :killerheadache:

Got one of the Harmans done today, starting on the Alaska hearth tomorrow, just three more Alaskas, one Keystoker, and another Harmon, saving the Keystoker to last, think I might keep that one for a while and use it in the garage.

Enjoy the stove, you will be nice and toasty this year! :onfire:

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 7:56 am

Thanks, Matthaus! I'll be sure to take several more pics as I get her put back together. Now I need to install all the new gaskets, finish up on the door glass clips (made all new ones from stainless steel strip w/stainless screws), install the blowers, and wire up all the controls again. It should work like new and look like the day it rolled out of the Keystoker factory.

As I was at the stove shop picking out the hearth pad on Saturday, I saw the electric dolly they use to move stoves up and down stairs. Pretty slick, but after moving my stove yesterday, there was no way that would have worked for me, it was just too large to make the turns down the stairs.

Only way that stove is coming out of that basement is with a cutting torch.....

Chris

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 9:16 am

Congrats Chris! The stove looks really nice. A long way from when you picked it up!

Slow and careful does the job on the stairs. I bet you had a few 'victory sodas' after the stove was in the basement. :lol: :)

Take care. Greg.

europachris

Post by europachris » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 9:30 am

Indeed - victory sodas, wine, etc. along with a wonderful dinner and some homemade chocolate ice cream.

So, what is this "sickness" we have with "rescuing" old stoves, boilers, etc. and going through all this work to fix them up? Good thing I don't pay myself for doing this, as I'd be better off working at a fast food joint.

I suppose it will all come together the first time I fire it up and avoid CO poisoning or burn the house down, LOL. Already looking forward to spending more time in the basement this winter with the stove going watching movies, practicing guitar, and playing games with Nathan.

Chris

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 10:44 am

There is nothing like radiant heat. The comfort from a warm object radiating heat toward your body makes for a feeling of comfort and content that will never be replaced by a forced air heat system!!

I'm sure you will really enjoy your basement this winter.

Greg L

Last edited by LsFarm on Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 11:29 am

That's why I'm keeping the stove in the house!

Despite Hope's dislike of the dust I am going to run the unit all winter on low to supplement the coal boiler and make that spot where I can come and warm up. :lol:

LsFarm

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 11:50 am

Matt, I guess you are just going to have to learn to wield a dustmop, and feather-duster !! :lol: :) :lol: Gotta keep peace in the family!!

I think Swiffer makes some pretty good dusting products...

And this is from the guy who as been looking at the dirt on the leading edges of the ceiling fan blades for several months, thinking, yeah, I should clean the fan .... someday..... :lol: :lol: :)

Matt: there is NOTHING like that warm spot in your kitchen : cozy, you can drip-dry your boots and gloves, thaw frozen fingers and toes. In my house I have to stick my toes in the baseboard heat vents. Or turn on the propane range and roast my finger over the open fire!! Or go back outside to the boiler building and give the boiler a HUG !!

Greg.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Yep, I am planning to get the Swiffer from the townhouse as we speak! :lol:

Guess I will have to tend to my cleaning duties right along with the coal and ash hauling, but then as you said, definitely worth it. The good news is that I can burn buckwheat in all four burning appliances (yes that's right, four coal burners, two boilers and two stoves. It is amazing what you can do for less than $1,500 if you are a scrounge)!

So now I just have to build the coal bin in the basement for the boilers.... Sheesh, and to think last September when I found out about coal burning I was just thinking to reduce the gas bill. They will be coming to replace the gas meter again for sure now since there should be only enough usage to keep the water heater and boiler pilots light lit! :lol: :onfire:

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 12:42 pm

looking good Chris. stairs had to be fun. you better get busy , we are going from this nice weather to cold soon lol. mines all ready to go. I will post a pic soon.

JerseyCoal
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Franco Belge model 10.1475

Post by JerseyCoal » Mon. Oct. 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Hey Greg L.:

I know what you mean about the coal dust building up on the leading edges of the fan blades. I have a fan on a 48" downrod almost above the stove to move the air around. I was thinking about letting the dust and cobwebs build up over the years, sort of like McSorley's Pub in New York City. A real manly look. I wouldn't mind it a bit, and my son would think it's cool. BUT, every time my daughter comes home from college, I have to listen to the endless complaints of how the house is such a mess! So, I jumped up on a ladder with paper towels and a bottle of Windex and cleaned it up. No longer can I proudly gaze at my filthy fan blades but, at least I have vivid memories of that black gunk falling into my face as I cleaned it up!
John

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”