Econo 1 Hopper

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
Post Reply
User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Fri. Feb. 11, 2011 6:36 pm

Hi all,
I finally got my Econo 1 all inspected and now it is running. I am incredibly happy with it. I have one small issue that I am wondering about. The hopper on the stove seems to be tilted back. The other day the fire died because the feeder was empty. There was still coal in the hopper but it was around the sides and towards the back leaving the feeder open. I am attaching a picture of the side of the hopper to hopefully make what I am trying to say a little clearer. Is this the way they are supposed to be oriented? It doesn't look like there are any adjustments to the mounting points that can be made. They look like they are a solid standoff so I don't think I can remove any spacers to pull it in any. Thanks for any tips and advice.
Robert
Attachments
100_1309.JPG

User avatar
WNY
Member
Posts: 5849
Joined: Mon. Nov. 14, 2005 8:40 am
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Stove/Furnace Make: Keystoker, LL & CoalTrol
Stove/Furnace Model: 90K, Hyfire I, VF3000 Soon
Location: Cuba, NY
Contact:

Post Fri. Feb. 11, 2011 6:56 pm

I think my Hyfire is the same way, there are spacers at the top that tilt it a bit. I always keep mine 1/2-full all the time.
I think to keeps some air flow up the back and keep the heat away from the hopper.
- Dave
Hyfire I & Keystoker 90K heating an 1890 Victorian
- Amsoil Authorized T1 Certified Dealer

User avatar
Freddy
Member
Posts: 6605
Joined: Fri. Apr. 11, 2008 2:54 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading piece o' junk in the barn (rice)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined
Location: Orrington, Maine

Post Fri. Feb. 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I had a similar issue with my Reading steel box. I added a piece of angle iron as in the picture. It made a big difference, but, it's not as easy as just stuffing the angle iron in. I had to empty the entire bin and loosen the bolts that hold the bin to the stoker mechanism. Then straighten it up, insert the steel and tighten the bolts back down. If you just stuff in the angle iron it wants to move the stoker and it won't move. I can't remember if I had to oval the holes or not, but I do remember it taking a couple of hours to do the job.
Attachments
Angle Iron.jpg
Orrington, Maine
Fred

"If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all".

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Fri. Feb. 11, 2011 10:03 pm

rt42 wrote:Hi all,
I finally got my Econo 1 all inspected and now it is running. I am incredibly happy with it. I have one small issue that I am wondering about. The hopper on the stove seems to be tilted back. The other day the fire died because the feeder was empty. There was still coal in the hopper but it was around the sides and towards the back leaving the feeder open. I am attaching a picture of the side of the hopper to hopefully make what I am trying to say a little clearer. Is this the way they are supposed to be oriented? It doesn't look like there are any adjustments to the mounting points that can be made. They look like they are a solid standoff so I don't think I can remove any spacers to pull it in any. Thanks for any tips and advice.
Robert
Looks like the wrong stand offs were used . Give me a call at the shop on Monday 570-752-1811 to figure out what we need to do . I think they can be cut shorter probably with a hacksaw but will need a little more details . We have not made many econo's since the Lil heater was introduced. Can that be old stock from somewhere. Do you know when it was purchased from us by the dealer ? Thanks ,Dave
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.


User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 8:32 am

Flyer5 wrote: Looks like the wrong stand offs were used . Give me a call at the shop on Monday 570-752-1811 to figure out what we need to do . I think they can be cut shorter probably with a hacksaw but will need a little more details . We have not made many econo's since the Lil heater was introduced. Can that be old stock from somewhere. Do you know when it was purchased from us by the dealer ? Thanks ,Dave
It was actually a used stove that the dealer sold me. Not sure how long they have had it for. I take it then that it is not supposed to be angled like that? How long are the standoffs supposed to be? Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Robert

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 10:53 am

rt42 wrote:
Flyer5 wrote: Looks like the wrong stand offs were used . Give me a call at the shop on Monday 570-752-1811 to figure out what we need to do . I think they can be cut shorter probably with a hacksaw but will need a little more details . We have not made many econo's since the Lil heater was introduced. Can that be old stock from somewhere. Do you know when it was purchased from us by the dealer ? Thanks ,Dave
It was actually a used stove that the dealer sold me. Not sure how long they have had it for. I take it then that it is not supposed to be angled like that? How long are the standoffs supposed to be? Thanks again everyone for the advice.
Robert
3/4" + the washer so about 7/8 "
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 11:27 am

At the top of the hopper where the biggest gap is, it is about 1 1/4". At the bottom it is about 5/8". And where the standoff are it is about 1". Do you think trimming those studs down about an 1/8" would help any? Thanks again for the help.
Robert

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 7:35 pm

rt42 wrote:At the top of the hopper where the biggest gap is, it is about 1 1/4". At the bottom it is about 5/8". And where the standoff are it is about 1". Do you think trimming those studs down about an 1/8" would help any? Thanks again for the help.
Robert
Also noticed the hopper is bulging out toward the studs . I think between straightening the hopper and shortening the studs would help. Dave
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.


User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Sat. Feb. 12, 2011 8:51 pm

Thanks for the help Dave. I am going to straighten out the hopper and trim the standoffs. Hopefully that will fix the problem.
Robert

User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I trimmed down the studs on the hopper about an 1/8". And I added some pieces of square tubing on each side to help straighten it out. It is much better now, nice and level. Once I put it back together and adjust the height of the hopper so that it blows straight across the top of the stove I noticed that it is sitting kinda high. The gasket on the bottom of the hopper is not near the feed mechanism. If I drop the hopper down to where it sits on the feed mechanism which would be about 1/2" then the blower won't be too lined up with the top of the stove. Is this a cause for concern regarding safety? I.e. CO escaping from there or it spoiling the draft or a hopper fire? It seems to be working quite well right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.
Robert
Attachments
100_1317.JPG
Adjusted hopper
100_1314.JPG

User avatar
Flyer5
Verified Business Rep.
Posts: 10382
Joined: Sun. Oct. 21, 2007 4:23 pm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer
Location: Montrose PA
Contact:

Post Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 9:12 pm

rt42 wrote:I trimmed down the studs on the hopper about an 1/8". And I added some pieces of square tubing on each side to help straighten it out. It is much better now, nice and level. Once I put it back together and adjust the height of the hopper so that it blows straight across the top of the stove I noticed that it is sitting kinda high. The gasket on the bottom of the hopper is not near the feed mechanism. If I drop the hopper down to where it sits on the feed mechanism which would be about 1/2" then the blower won't be too lined up with the top of the stove. Is this a cause for concern regarding safety? I.e. CO escaping from there or it spoiling the draft or a hopper fire? It seems to be working quite well right now. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again everyone.
Robert
Hopper should be down all the way.Should not effect the fan much . Dave
http://www.leisurelinestove.com


You know when people say it was "better back in my day"?

They were right.

User avatar
rt42
Member
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed. Feb. 07, 2007 7:06 pm
Location: MA

Post Sat. Feb. 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for all of the help Dave.
Robert

Post Reply

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”