Replace Gaskets Or Not on a Used Harman stoker

heatwithcoal
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: AK-110

Post by heatwithcoal » Wed. Sep. 19, 2007 7:35 pm

I just bought an 01 Harman stoker and trying to decide if I need to change the gaskets.

I have it runing into a cinder block/clay chimney and figured before trying it with coal I would throw some paper in and see if I have any leaks. Yes I have some smoke coming out from the tile close-out panel in the bottom door and I think also the glass.
Is this a good way to tell if I need new gaskets, or once the coal starts going, the natural draft will improve. When I started it up before I bought it, it was in the guys driveway with no chimney and once the coal started really burning I did not see any smoke. Although gases could have been leaking out without me knowing.
Wood stoves sometimes have gaps in the glass area. How is the stoker any different.
My pellet stove is about as old and I have not even thought about having to put new gaskets in it.

Generally speaking, what is the lifespan of gaskets on a stove that runs all winter?

Thanks for any advice

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Sep. 19, 2007 8:24 pm

yes replace the gaskets you do not want any extra air with coal for lots of reasons gases burning coal to fast smell I replace all gaskets every few years when they start to leak all air with anthracite coal needs to be from the bottom threw air vents or with stokers bottom blowers go to your local stove shop or hardware store they sell it by the foot anywhere from 1.09per ft to 1.99per ft there are several sizes so you need to measure yours width and lenght 3/8 in 1/2in 9/16in 5/8 in 3/4in 1in

Gary in Pennsylvania

Post by Gary in Pennsylvania » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 6:46 am

coal berner wrote: go to your local stove shop or hardware store they sell it by the foot anywhere from 1.09per ft to 1.99per ft there are several sizes so you need to measure yours width and lenght 3/8 in 1/2in 9/16in 5/8 in 3/4in 1in
Cool - Thanks for the info. I need new gaskets too before the burning season begins.

Gary in Pennsylvania

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 8:31 am

Thanks for the help. I took a closer look at the doors and it seems like there is no gasketing where I was getting smoke. This leads to the question, is there supposed to be.
I started a post asking mag stoker users if there is gasketing in these locations, or if the lack of gasketing in the door is for an air-wash. I am not sure why there is no gasketing between the tile close-out panel and the bottom door. Idid see an older post here last night that Harman does not offer gasketingthis area.

Magnum Stoker Gasket Locations

Thanks for any info

Mark

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 8:45 am

Hi Mark, the missing gasket on the top and bottom of the glass is the way the stove is built. Like you said an 'air wash' system.

I'd just buy some silicone sealant for the lower tile job. The temperature is not that hot at the base of the stove, so it should work fine.

Greg L

heatwithcoal

Post by heatwithcoal » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks to all for the help. Very useful stuff. What a great forum!

Mark

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”