How Much Coal Have You Burned So Far

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Thu. May. 10, 2012 11:11 am

210 days of burning (so far). About 4.6 tons burned to date.

~2,500sq-ft of heated living space (including our heated ~800 sq-ft walk-out basement) maintained at 68 degrees. We also maintain our attached 2 car garage at 45 degrees.

Annually we average about 6,200 heating degree days here, though from the day I fired it up in mid October through today the total of heating degree days for this very mild season has been only about 4,850 here.

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Thu. May. 10, 2012 11:25 am

That would scare me off if I was a newbie. I don't think we'll see that article on any of the coal stove company websites anytime soon. If he had a CO detector he would be alive. I guess there is something to be said about having to get a permit to install a stove. I know that most of us skip this process but it would have saved his life.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Thu. May. 10, 2012 11:54 am

traderfjp wrote:That would scare me off if I was a newbie. I don't think we'll see that article on any of the coal stove company websites anytime soon. If he had a CO detector he would be alive. I guess there is something to be said about having to get a permit to install a stove. I know that most of us skip this process but it would have saved his life.
What article are you talking about?

jim d

Post by jim d » Thu. May. 10, 2012 1:02 pm

i think he's talking about the thread "cautionary tale " the guy should have had a "safe@home device " plugged in witha stoker

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Thu. May. 10, 2012 9:24 pm

I put 5 ton of "Buck" in my hopper. Still burning since last fall. Looks like a good 1/2 ton still in hopper. I'm talking coal for the Kaa-2 (house). For the HITZER , I bought bagged chestnut. In other words, I didn't use any coal from the hopper for the HITZER (shop).

freetown fred
Hand Fed Coal Stove: HITZER 50-93
Coal Size/Type: BLASCHAK Nut

Post by freetown fred » Fri. May. 11, 2012 5:36 am

I'm right at the end of my yearly 3 ton of nut & still idling along w/ the 50-93. Got probably a weeks worth left--friggin hard frost this AM. Damn global warming. :clap: toothy

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Fri. May. 11, 2012 6:31 am

I guess there is something to be said about having to get a permit to install a stove. I know that most of us skip this process but it would have saved his life.
Yes, I'm from the govt and I am here to help you. Knowledge is the power not regs.

Yes, he got approved 5 years ago but did not have the knowledge that CO detectors are time dated. Do the inspectors, who can hardly spell caol, (SIC) have knowledge of placement and numbers? Perhaps that is just an observation of OC inspectors in NY.

CO level is at 9ppm and that is bad.... So CO level at 5ppm and rising is that good? There is no safe level of CO only a level at which physical effects are noted.

CO detectors are a wonderful and necessary band aid but are like safety belts in cars, they are there in case of a screw up. The first line of defense is to prevent a CO build up in the first place is by knowledge. Perhaps they catch the squirrel that died in the chimney but my guess this that 99% of incidents are owners related and due to lack of knowledge. Read the FF note in cautionary tale - that is correct!

Vigilance not regs - we already have got enough of those.

Dennis
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: AHS/WOC55-multi-fuel/wood,oil,coal
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite/stove size

Post by Dennis » Fri. May. 18, 2012 7:07 pm

I have shut down and totaled up.
last year I burned 3.16 ton with 131 days
this year I burned 3.89 ton with 204 days

Thanks to everyone here and what I learned, I saved alot of coal from last year's rookie season :clap: :punk:

lsayre
Stoker Coal Boiler: AHS S130 Coal Gun
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh Anthracite Pea
Other Heating: Resistance Boiler (13.5 KW), ComfortMax 75

Post by lsayre » Sun. Aug. 26, 2012 2:04 pm

I topped 5 tons of coal burned (or rather burned, plus sitting in the boiler) today. Although I still have two super-sacks full of Blaschak pea remaining (with roughly one full ton in each) I have dipped into my new coal bin and used some UAE Harmony pea for the very first time today, adding about 180 lbs. of it to my AHS S130's approximately 250 lb. hopper to completely top it off. In about 8-9 days the AHS should have burned through the Blaschak in the fire tube and the lower hopper and I will be burning straight UAE Harmony pea from that point forward.

I'm keeping the two super-sacks of Blaschak in storage as my emergency reserve.

One thing I noticed immediately is that the Harmony pea is larger than Blaschak pea (which is turn is noticeably larger than the Stockton pea that I had been blending with Blaschak for most of the past year).

Fran654

Post by Fran654 » Mon. Aug. 27, 2012 7:42 am

hi all , I have burned 7.5 tons since this date last year, all uae coal, my AA130 is just a dream, at $165 a ton that breaks down to $3.49 a day, best thing I ever did heats my house to 72 in the winter , hot water, domestic all year ,best thing I ever did, only 2 out fires the whole year , once the fines clogged the coal tube, the second was when it got warm ,had to change my timer from 1 min every hour to 1 min every half hour, no demand, now I wonder if the dude that bought my hand fired furnace ever installed it???

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Mon. Aug. 27, 2012 8:25 am

I have about 300 lbs remaining from the 8.75 tons I got last September...plus I burned about 300 lbs of UAE as an experiment this summer...call it 9 tons in 12 months.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”