Replacing an Old 1986 Alaska Kodiak II Stoker Stove

totouchantler

Post by totouchantler » Tue. Sep. 04, 2007 11:32 pm

feel like the stove is getting old...rusty....hopper is deteriorating...etc...etc.....How much should I look to spend on replacing a stove of this model? It heats our house very nicely.......just want to get some comparative models and prices.....any sugestions greatly appreciated.

Chris

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Wed. Sep. 05, 2007 7:42 am

It will cost a lot less to buy the needed parts and rebuild your current stove. Just about any stove is going to cost a minimum of $1500-$3000 plus all the hassle, dirt, sweat etc. to install it.

Contact Alaska with your list of parts, I'm sure they can help you. A few new parts and a coat of paint and the stove will be like new.

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Wed. Sep. 05, 2007 12:44 pm

Greg is correct it would be way less inexpensive to replace parts and clean and paint then buying a new one contact Alaska first they should have what you need very good company to deal with here is there address http://www.alaskastove.com you can call them or email them :)

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Wed. Sep. 05, 2007 8:23 pm

An Alaska Channing III which would be their current comparable stoker's base price is $1875.00 plus tax. With the thermostat option brass door accents and clean glass sytem it came to $2380 with tax last year for my new one.

Dialdirect

Post by Dialdirect » Thu. Sep. 06, 2007 10:02 am

I agree with the other replies. I have a new Harman Magnum upstairs that cost me $2900 new last year. I also purchased your exact stove from a friend for $200 in April. I plan to replace the glass, ash pan door and paint the stove - I'm putting the $200 stove in my basement. Alaska Stove Company has been very helpful with answering all of my questions and they have every part for that stove in stock at a reasonable price.

Eric

foulhook

Post by foulhook » Thu. Sep. 06, 2007 10:12 pm

jpen1 wrote:An Alaska Channing III which would be their current comparable stoker's base price is $1875.00 plus tax. With the thermostat option brass door accents and clean glass sytem it came to $2380 with tax last year for my new one.
Just put mine up for sale in the classifieds. Only burned about two tons of coal in it bought it under two years ago. Perfect condition. Thermostat, Blower, Glass, Legs, etc. $1200

I travel to much and my wife won't touch it. To difficult for primary heat right now so propane is coming next week... :o

Someone come get this stove...She is a beauty

npd2408

Post by npd2408 » Thu. Sep. 27, 2007 1:06 am

Short story

I have had my SSII for about 7 years now. I bought it from my fathers friend for $300.00. He became lazy and did not like the up keep, He bought it in 1987 and used it for about a year and a half, then it sat. When I looked at it I went to remove the ash pan that still had ashes, they went to the floor when I pulled it out. The hopper was still half full of coal. So I offered him $350.00, He stated for you $300.00. Well I got it home Cleaned it up, and got it ready for winter, I live now about 40 minutes from the Alaska stove company, Bought two ash pans, and a new contolr box for the feed and blower motor it cost me $300.00 give or take. so I have about 600.00 invested. Used it for five years in my old house, when I moved to my new home I took the stove, During that month which was Jan. my natural gas bill was $450.00 since the stove was removed, In five years my highest bill was $55.00 and that was with a gas water heater. So I spent $300.00 on coal with some labor per year, beats spending over $400.00 a month on sometihing they call "Natural" gas. So on my 7th year with the stove and periodic maintance has paid off, I have the stove in my ranch home now the old home was a two story, the only problem I have now is getting the heat to move from the room the stove is in to the second floor Oh well Guess Ill figure something out, Sorry So long, but If it needs some work and it produces good heat for the dollar fix it up. good luck. and thank you members for all your help in the past, you have life easier for me and warmer for my family thank you again...

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”