Keystoker

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Aug. 15, 2007 2:08 pm

hope some day I can answer some questions here. I have a chance to buy a used keystoker 90,000. I just can't get the $ for a new unit at the time. is keystoker a nice unit and could you tell me a little about them. I went to their web site , but theres no info. thank you , ken

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Aug. 15, 2007 7:36 pm

I typed up a nice post, hit Submit (or so I thought) and POOF, it never showed up.

Cliff's Notes version - I'm rebuilding a direct vent model Keystoker 90. Got it for a good deal, but it is NOT cheap to put one back in top shape. $50 in paint, $50 in gaskets, $100 in glass, misc. screws and hardware, a blower motor or two, flex conduit, wiring, etc. and a LOT of sweat equity.

However, this stove will look and perform like new when I'm done, so it's still worth it.

Keystokers are built like a brick poop house. VERY heavy, thick metal, good airflow and smoke path design. They've been around for a long time. Great company to deal with, also.

If you buy it, take it completely apart. I found some pretty serious corrosion hiding behind the stoker where fly ash collected, got damp, and started eating away pretty good. Fortunately it's not a safety issue, and hidden behind the stoker, but I plan to pull out the stoker at least every other year and clean that area well. I've probably pulled about 10# of fly ash from behind the stoker, under the grate plate, and from up inside the heat exchanger area (by moving the stove around, tipping it on one side or the other and blowing it out with air).

I'll post some before and after pics when I'm done with it and have it installed. I better get my butt moving or I'll not have it ready for the winter!

Chris

ken

Post by ken » Thu. Aug. 16, 2007 1:19 pm

i didn't see your post. I will keep an eye on it for some pointers. thank you

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Aug. 16, 2007 2:52 pm

We have a Keystoker 90K also, only a couple years old and heated our old house exclusively with it. it runs from late Nov. to May, 24/7 except for a few quick cleanings. Very happy with it.

ken

Post by ken » Thu. Aug. 16, 2007 7:39 pm

went to the auction today and got the stove for $500 + 5% fee. it's the bay model with direct vent included. it's pretty new , was used only 2 season's. so I guess i'm on Chris's post on the keystoker like glue lol

europachris

Post by europachris » Thu. Aug. 16, 2007 8:05 pm

Nice job! That's a better deal than I got on a newer stove!!!

Can you take some pics and post them to the group???

What is the "bay" model??? Is it rear vent or top vent?

I would give the stove a good once over. Pull off the direct vent and take it apart for cleaning. Pull out the grate plate (or remove the combustion blower) and suck out all the junk under the grate. Inspect the door gaskets, hopper gasket to the stoker, and all the other nooks and crannies. Lubricate all the blowers with a few drops of SAE 20 non-detergent oil. Also make sure the grate plate is sealed with furnace cement from the stoker up to the first set of holes for proper burning.

If you don't have a copy of the manual, that's easy to get from Keystoker. My copy is for an older model stove, but it should apply to yours.

I'd even go so far as to pull the stoker unit out of the back of the stove and clean out that area between the inside and outside shell of the stove where mine started to corrode.

For venting, I plan to use PelletPro 4" pipe. High grade stainless that can handle the corrosive ash of coal (or corn for a corn stove).

Have you moved it yet? Good luck if not and bring help! LOL!
Chris

ken

Post by ken » Thu. Aug. 16, 2007 11:31 pm

hi Chris. it's direct vent on the bottom. he's giving me all the piping and the platform it's sitting on. also 2 ash bins and the brush to clean the DV. one thing i'm not to happy about is the hopper , it only holds 50 lbs. they have a pic of the bay model on there web site. the glass is like 3 sided for veiwing the fire. the unit is red with alot of brass and very nice shape. I have the manual for it. i'm trying to get together some friends to move it saturday. keystoker sent me the info before I went on the 90,000. it listed the stove at 300 lbs. I will take the unit apart and clean it all up like you said and the manual discribes. funny , I already ordered the coal 2 weeks ago. I ordered 3.5 tons in 40 lb bags.

europachris

Post by europachris » Fri. Aug. 17, 2007 7:02 am

You STOLE that stove, LOL! :shock: Very nice.

The hopper is probably about the same size on mine, although I don't know for sure - haven't put coal in it yet. However, the hopper slopes down all sides to the stoker, so you can USE all 50 lbs. Other stokers have flat bottom hoppers that HOLD more coal, but a good percentage is NOT useable, it just stays in the corners and sits there.

But, if that's your only issue with the stove, you'll be counting your money all the way to the bank this winter!

Have fun moving it! If it only weighs 300#, pigs can also fly. I think just the bare stove body I have is 300#, less the doors, stoker, hopper, direct vent, and blowers!

If you can, take off at least the hopper and the direct vent blower to make it easier to handle (and the doors). I'd take EVERYTHING off of it, but if you have enough guys, you can save that project till you get home, as it makes a bit of a mess. GregL and I used his front loader with forklift tines to tip the stove down on it's side and slide it right into the back of my VW Jetta TDI Wagon, using some hardboard sheets as a 'slide'. Packed the rest of the parts in heavy bags and tucked them around the stove, tied it down with straps, and I drove it back from MI to IL.

Now I have the project of moving it into the basement......

Enjoy!

Chris

ken

Post by ken » Sun. Aug. 19, 2007 12:09 am

today we went and picked up the stove. the owner had it outside on his deck. we backed the pickup to the steps and loaded it up. in the paper keystoker sent it has it at 305 lbs Chris. getting it in house was easy with the wheelchair ramp lol. I guess the red color kinda grows on ya too. I was talking to the owner , he told me he paid $3,700 , I don't know if thats true. he gave me the platform , thermastat , 2 ash bins , CO detector and my first peek at rice coal in the hopper. we set the platform and stove where it will go. all we need to do is hookup the flue. do any of you guys have a ceiling fan above your stove? I was thinking of putting one above it and putting the fan in reverse , on low.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sun. Aug. 19, 2007 7:18 am

ken wrote:he told me he paid $3,700 , I don't know if thats true. he gave me the platform , thermostat , 2 ash bins , CO detector
Probably the installed price w/goodies.

ken

Post by ken » Sat. Aug. 25, 2007 12:36 pm

have the stove all set up and clean out. I don't think the owner ever cleaned it out. do you guys have a ceiling fan above your stoves? I have 10' ceilings and think it would be I good :idea: . any comments , thank you :)

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Sep. 03, 2007 11:09 am

bump :)

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Sep. 03, 2007 3:49 pm

Hi ken, a ceiling fan is a good idea in just about any room, certainly a good idea in a room with a heating appliance. There is no reason to have air temps at the ceiling over 100*! Unless you have air ducts cut into the ceiling letting hot air up through the floor to rooms above.

You will find that moving the heated air around the house is crutial to keep somewhat even heat.

greg L

ken

Post by ken » Wed. Sep. 19, 2007 10:21 pm

thank you LsFarm.

GENERD66

Post by GENERD66 » Thu. Sep. 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Hi Ken I bought a new Keystoker 90 last Jan. $2400.00 I have a 2 story old farm house around 2500 sqft. Having the stove cranked I went through about 30-35 lbs of of rice per day.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”