Keystoker 90 Refurb Project

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Aug. 01, 2007 4:18 pm

This is the never ending project!!! I'm amazed at how much time this thing has taken up since I hauled it home in the back of my Jetta Wagon via Greg L courtesy of Matthaus.

Today, FINALLY, I got around to painting it. I have spent HOURS with a wire wheel, stripping pads, etc. getting a lot of rust and two layers of paint off the stove and doors. I took it down to bare metal. But, after exchanging the wrong paint (I got chimney and flashing paint by mistake - at least in the Charcoal color I ordered), I was able to get the majority done this week. It's been pretty hot here, but no wind and dry, so PERFECT painting weather. It's the StoveBrite charcoal color, which was the original color from Keystoker, and it looks really awesome. The prep work paid off and the job looks factory.

I still have to paint the hopper, stoker unit, and the direct vent housing, but I'll just do those in basic black stove paint. I need to order a hopper lid and ashpan from Keystoker, also.

Then it's time to move the beast down into the basement along with a hearth pad, core bit a 5" hole through the wall, and hook it up with PelletPro 4" vent.

Greg, man, I feel for you on that Anthratube rehab project!

All I can say is when I light up this stove for the first time (and get the stink out of the house from the paint), it's going to be very satisfying!

I'll post some pics when I get a little closer to finishing it all up, before and after...

Chris

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Aug. 01, 2007 4:45 pm

Next time you want to clean up a lot of rust. Just get a bag of citric acid and soak it in a tank with that stuff mixed with water. You would think it was just cast after a day in that stuff. It is non-toxic (not sure but isn't it like.... vitamin C?). Rinse with water and blow dry is all the work you do.

europachris

Post by europachris » Wed. Aug. 01, 2007 4:54 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to remember that! Most of the rust was on the inside of the stove and in the power vent assembly. Doors and stove body weren't too bad, just old.

I must say that coal ash is the most corrosive stuff I've ever seen. Anywhere it lands on bare metal, it rusts almost immediately! LPS 3 or paint will NOT prevent it from rusting if there is any residue of rust or ash left on the surface.

I sure hope this puppy doesn't start rusting under my brand new paint job!

Chris

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Thu. Aug. 02, 2007 12:54 am

europachris wrote:This is the never ending project!!! I'm amazed at how much time this thing has taken up since I hauled it home in the back of my Jetta Wagon via Greg L courtesy of Matthaus.

Today, FINALLY, I got around to painting it. I have spent HOURS with a wire wheel, stripping pads, etc. getting a lot of rust and two layers of paint off the stove and doors. I took it down to bare metal. But, after exchanging the wrong paint (I got chimney and flashing paint by mistake - at least in the Charcoal color I ordered), I was able to get the majority done this week. It's been pretty hot here, but no wind and dry, so PERFECT painting weather. It's the StoveBrite charcoal color, which was the original color from Keystoker, and it looks really awesome. The prep work paid off and the job looks factory.

I still have to paint the hopper, stoker unit, and the direct vent housing, but I'll just do those in basic black stove paint. I need to order a hopper lid and ashpan from Keystoker, also.

Then it's time to move the beast down into the basement along with a hearth pad, core bit a 5" hole through the wall, and hook it up with PelletPro 4" vent.

Greg, man, I feel for you on that Anthratube rehab project!

All I can say is when I light up this stove for the first time (and get the stink out of the house from the paint), it's going to be very satisfying!

I'll post some pics when I get a little closer to finishing it all up, before and after...

Chris
Hello Chris sounds like you are having a lot of fun :lol: anyway to make a long story short I have the ash pan for you unit here is the short story it happens that a few months back I went to look at a coal boiler and in the conversation talking to the seller it so happens that he was the owner of you stoker and mathaus bought it from him so he gave me the ash tray for the stoker to give to mathaus but when I talked to mathaus he told me that he sold it to you so what I will try to do is when Greg comes down myway to get coal I will give him it so he can drop it off to you I believe he will be coming down in october ? I will call him soon and ask him if he could do it for you or if you would like to pm you address I can send it to you take care let me know sorry for the long quote :)

europachris

Post by europachris » Sat. Aug. 04, 2007 10:00 am

what I will try to do is when Greg comes down myway to get coal I will give him it so he can drop it off to you I believe he will be coming down in october ? I will call him soon and ask him if he could do it for you or if you would like to pm you address I can send it to you take care let me know sorry for the long quote :)
Sounds like a plan to just drop if off w/Greg. I'm probably going to order a ashpan anyway from Keystoker when I order the hopper lid just so I have two and can just swap one for the other for cleaning.

I'd just drop it off with Greg when you see him and I can then swing by his place on one of my business trips to Auburn Hills or Sterling Heights. His place isn't too far out of my way, and I need another excuse to get there to see his Anthratube 'baby'.

Chris

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Sat. Aug. 04, 2007 11:28 pm

europachris wrote:
what I will try to do is when Greg comes down myway to get coal I will give him it so he can drop it off to you I believe he will be coming down in october ? I will call him soon and ask him if he could do it for you or if you would like to pm you address I can send it to you take care let me know sorry for the long quote :)
Sounds like a plan to just drop if off w/Greg. I'm probably going to order a ashpan anyway from Keystoker when I order the hopper lid just so I have two and can just swap one for the other for cleaning.

I'd just drop it off with Greg when you see him and I can then swing by his place on one of my business trips to Auburn Hills or Sterling Heights. His place isn't too far out of my way, and I need another excuse to get there to see his Anthratube 'baby'.

Chris
Will do CHRIS when I see him I will give him it. pm me anyway I could save you some cash on ordering & shipping on hopper lid / ashpan keystoker is 8 miles from me I could pickup them and give them to Greg to. let me know take care talk to you later :)

europachris

Post by europachris » Sun. Aug. 05, 2007 7:56 am

coal berner wrote: Will do CHRIS when I see him I will give him it. pm me anyway I could save you some cash on ordering & shipping on hopper lid / ashpan keystoker is 8 miles from me I could pickup them and give them to Greg to. let me know take care talk to you later :)
WOW, nice to be right around the corner! I might be able to kludge something together for an ashpan and hopper lid just to get the stove going until I can pick up all the parts at Greg's place. I don't know when I'll be firing up the stove for the 'season', but I doubt it will be much before the end of October.

I'll call Keystoker this week and see if they have the ashpans and hopper lids in stock. They didn't several months ago due to the fire....

Chris

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”