Harmon DVC-500 2 Blink Code Error

peppedog

Post by peppedog » Sun. Oct. 17, 2010 8:24 pm

I just recently purchased a used Harman DVC-500 coal stove. The guy that I bought it off of said the stove was working fine at the end of last burning season.
After installing the stove today I fired it up and after about 20 minutes the status light begins to blink 2 times. Eventually the combustion blower will go off
and the fire will go out. The manual says that a 2 blink status code there is not negative pressure in the firebox. Is there anyone familiar with this situation
that could give me some advice?
Last edited by peppedog on Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

rocketjeremy
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF-520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo 1CWC
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by rocketjeremy » Sun. Oct. 17, 2010 8:56 pm

I don't have a Harman but it sounds to me like it has a vacuum switch. Some stoves have them to shut the unit down if there is the potential for a leak of gases. Is there a seal on the door or ash door that doesn't seem up to par? ~Jeremy

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Oct. 17, 2010 9:52 pm

Make sure the Draft motor is running and the outlet is not filled with fly ash or blocked with paper or rag.
Clean out ESP probe with a pipe cleaner and follow that up to a clear plastic tube which has a small air filter on it, make sure it is not clogged.
Also, check all door gaskets. Make sure the glass door, the ash pan door, and the hopper door are all sealing correctly. Replace the gaskets if you are not sure.

Attachments

ESP-Probe.JPG
.JPG | 65.3KB | ESP-Probe.JPG

peppedog

Post by peppedog » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 6:51 pm

DVC 500 at last, thanks for your response to my problem. I made sure the the EPS filter wasn't clogged and replaced the gaskets on both doors. I'm still getting the 2 blink status code error. Any other suggestions?

thanks

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 7:36 pm

Don't forget to clean the probe out with a pipe cleaner.

Are you using a wall termination bolted directly to the back of the DVC500? Don't forget to use a gasket (p/n 3-44-06256) between the stove and the terminator, and a gasket between other sections of pipe you may have needed.

Did you verify the draft fan is spinning and free of flyash?

Attachments

DVC500g.JPG
.JPG | 56KB | DVC500g.JPG

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 8:43 pm

Make sure your Fines Tray Cover is not just flapping around? You tightened the thumb screws on it so it is sealed?

Check the glass gasket in the door, to make sure there is sealing the glass correctly?

Attachments

DVC500f.JPG
.JPG | 113.4KB | DVC500f.JPG

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Mon. Oct. 18, 2010 9:11 pm

Make sure the Grate Clean-Out Cover is tight.

The FSS tube runs into the firebox. Clean it our with a pipe cleaner. You can seperate the clear tube at the filter and should be able to blow into the end that goes to the FSS tube.

Attachments

DVC500h.JPG
.JPG | 61.4KB | DVC500h.JPG

peppedog

Post by peppedog » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 9:27 am

DVC500 at last, I have tried everything that you have suggested and I am still getting the same 2 blink error that leads to shutdown. I pulled the termination piping apart and placed gaskets in between them and verified that there was no obstruction. New gaskets have been installed on all doors and glass. The filter on the clear plastic tubing seems to be clear, although I haven't replaced. All motors appear to be running properly. There is a static sensing part located in the control box that I'm about to check and possibly replace. Our local Harman dealer hasn't been much help so I've become very frustrated trying to resolve my problem with this stove.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 9:47 am

peppedog wrote:Our local Harman dealer hasn't been much help so I've become very frustrated trying to resolve my problem with this stove.
Uh-oh, thats not good when your local dealer won't help you. He is supposed to diagnose the issue if you request it. As I have given you all the things I can think of, at this point I would be calling the dealer. If he won't help you, then try harman's customer service number at 1-800-664-3119 and maybe they can help.
Good Luck

Hopefully someone else with a DVC-500 can chime in with more tips...

titleist1

Post by titleist1 » Thu. Nov. 04, 2010 10:31 am

Unfortunately the lack of customer support from Harman and their dealers is an all too familiar experience and doesn't surprise me at all.

hatingharman

Post by hatingharman » Mon. Feb. 07, 2011 11:53 am

We are having the same problem. Had our stove for one and a half years now. It's run a total of 5 months off and on.

The 2-blink status is haunting us now. The dealer we purchased the stove from told us for $99/hr from the time they leave their office (1.5 hrs away from our house) to the time they return for a service call plus parts. Um, NO! We contacted another Harman dealer who came out to look at our stove. Said everything looks perfect and there is no reason for the 2-blink status but because we didn't buy the stove from him....he couldn't offer up any additional suggestions other than to remove the cap on the vent outside because the 2-blink status was possibly being caused by turbulance and back-draft from the wind outside. This the cap at the bottom of the straight pipe - not the arched vent pipe on the outside.

We removed the cap as he suggested and the stove ran for about 4 days....we are now back to a 2-blink status with no idea what the cause is. Only now we have condestation in the hopper which never happened before we removed the cap.

If you figure out what is causing the 2-blink status on your stove, Please be sure to send me a message and let me know what you found out....and I will do the same if we figure our 2-blink status out. We have done everything listed by other users online, in the manual and suggested by the manufacturers website...to no evail the stove still doesn't operate!

We were told when we purchased the DVC-500 that Harman and this stove were the best of the best. $6000 later...a dealer that refuses to assist without r*ping us.....I'm ready to make it an expensive lawn ornament in our dealers front yard!

Good Luck!

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Tue. Feb. 08, 2011 1:33 am

Call Harman direct. I had a problem with my dealer over a warranty part on my DVC-500. I advised what an a$$hole my dealer was, who it was and that my warranty covered stove has an issue. Harman advised that I could use another dealer to handle any warranty issues. Call them, cant hurt.

Harmon Customer Service: 1 800 664 3119

haikaa

Post by haikaa » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 9:43 pm

We are having similar issue. We got brand new just 7 months ago. Our problem started with running out with coal (i forgot to fill hopper before going to work last week).
When I got back from work, I started the fire and then it shut down with 2 -blink lights. Then I googled around I came to this great forum. I did some cleaning but nothing helped. I am kind of puzzled, almost brand new, and the problem started when hopper went empty. I spoke to a dealer, but so far they do not know much.

Any suggestions what could be wrong here? Than you

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 10:34 pm

haikaa wrote:Any suggestions what could be wrong here? Than you
Page 30 of the DVC500 Operators Manual explains all the reasons for a 2-blink error code. Go down the list and check ALL OF THEM.
The most obvious reasons will be :
1) The Fines tray door is not closed. It could be that the build up of fines BEHIND the tray, is not allowing the tray to be pushed fully in, and it will prevent you from closing the door. LOOK IN THERE WITH A FLASHLIGHT. If you see any fines, use a vacuum to suck them out.
2) There could be a piece of coal on top of, or UNDER, the hopper lid gasket, causing it to stay open a crack. Vacuum UNDER it.
3) The Grate clean-out cover not closed properly. Pull out the ashpan, and look up under the grates, and check to see the butterfly nuts are tight.

Also, how long have you been running the stove? If you have been running it for 3 months or more, you HAVE to completely remove the Flu pipe from the Exterior Termination, and clean the Flyash out. IT WILL BUILD UP TO THE POINT OF CAUSING A 2-BLINK ERROR. Same holds true for the DRAFT Motor Fan, which is in the Ashpan compartment. You have to remove the Ash Sheild, and then the Blower Cover to expose the Draft moter fan. Clean this out with a brush and vacuum cleaner.

Check each and every item on page 30, I am sure you'll find the issue.

haikaa

Post by haikaa » Sat. Nov. 19, 2011 11:16 pm

I got the stove in April, but I would say I run total 2 months. I did follow almost everything in the manual and your/others comments here.
I did removed the pipes from outside and vocume termination pipe also. I vacuumed from insde the stove also, and around esp probe, but I did not use any pipe claening to clean the probe like you/others suggested above.

My feeling is if we did not run out of coal in the hopper, we would not had this issue. Does that help to pin-point the problem?
When I start the stove in exactly 4min and 20 seconds, the 2 blink starts.

After 3 days of waithing, dealer called and asked me to disconnect the power cord and to reset the system. I could not stop loughing. I called another dealer, he said bacause it is only 7 months old, you need to call the dealer who installed it. Is that correct?

Thanks for your help

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”