Power Venter

rt42

Post by rt42 » Fri. Sep. 24, 2010 7:28 pm

Hello all,
I am interested in getting a coal stove. And now I am looking into possibly power venting it. My main question is, are the Power Venters that LL sells, are they approved for use in a mobile home? I am interested in a Econo 1 model. I would like to power vent it out the side of my mobile home, but I have yet to find any approval information. Any help would be appreciated. Also, how bad is the smell coming coming out of the power venter? I know that with chimney installs you can hardly smell anything, but I wasn't sure about with a power venter. Also, also, is there any concerns with someone or a pet walking by and getting burned? I am trying to gather all of my facts so I can intelligently speak to my neighbor and make sure he has no concerns. Thanks for all the help.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 11:53 am

The unit is approved for a mobile home, however the stove will need a fresh air intake for combustion air to be compliant. As far as the Power Venter goes here is the manual for your review, the questions you have asked have many variables such as quality of coal and location of installation. It cannot be mounted less than 7' above the ground where there is a walkway (see the manual) so there should be no concern for passers by.

Attachments

PV Manual0001.pdf

This Manual contains data for use with Leisure Line Stoves Only

.PDF | 5.6MB | PV Manual0001.pdf

Lumberjack

Post by Lumberjack » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 2:27 pm

I can give you a partial answer to your questions. My current location has a power vented oil furnace that exits the house 24 inches from a sidewalk and about 12 inches from the ground.

Yes some days you can smell the combustion products as you walk by the area. I would not reccomend using one near an area where people tend to hang around at. The odor does dispurse very quickly and is not noticable at 6 feet away.

With the sidewalk 24 inches away I know of no person or animal that has gotten burned on the unit. It does keep the snow clear underneath it.

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 3:55 pm

The Installation that Lumberjack spoke is illegal for our unit, cannot mount it closer than 7' above the walk area. The unit doesn't get hot enough to burn anyone but should not be where people will be touching it. With regards to odor, the quality of coal is the determining factor, I have smelled the coal flue gas at my house on certain windy days and it is coming from a 36' tall chimney. Of course the odor is not offensive to me so I don't mind an occasional whiff. :)

rt42

Post by rt42 » Wed. Sep. 29, 2010 4:34 pm

Thanks for the info everyone. Where I intend to locate it there shouldn't be anyone hanging around it. But occasionally some might pass by it but it sounds like there should be enough room to go around it easily. And it is reassuring to hear that the odor is not that bad. Of course that depends on the coal, but it sounds like it shouldn't be too offensive. At least know I can talk to my neighbor a little more intelligently.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”