Alsaka Kodiak Stoker Stove II

Dialdirect

Post by Dialdirect » Tue. Apr. 17, 2007 12:49 pm

I am looking to purchase an Alaska Kodiak Stoker Stove II from a friend of a friend for about $200. The stove is in fair shape but with a little work should look as good as new by the end of this summer. The stove need new glass, gaskets and ash pan. I've been told that the blowers and motors work but have not been able to check for myself. I called Alaska and they still make all replacement parts for the stove. Alaska also informed me that I could powervent the stove out my basement , which is the route I'm going to go with this stove.

I wanted to know if anyone else had any information about these stoves. I presently own a Harman Magnum Stoker in the main part of the house but need some coal heat in the basement area and this deal seems to good to pass up.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Tue. Apr. 17, 2007 2:26 pm

Direct,

I think a Kodiac is a gravity fed stove, the only motor would be the blower fan.

Wire brush,paint and cooler of Beer should do the job.

Also I it will burn Pea or Nut, not Rice like your Magnum Stoker.

BK

jpen1
Stoker Coal Boiler: LL110
Coal Size/Type: Rice/ Buck

Post by jpen1 » Tue. Apr. 17, 2007 5:02 pm

Is the stove you are looking at a Kodiak or a Kast console 2. The Kodiak is a gravity feed shake grate stove and like BK said it only would have a convection fan. The Kast console 2 is a side mounted stoker . Either way $200 is a good deal . I wouldn't try to power vent a hand load stove like the kodiak. The Kast console would be okay witha power venter.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Apr. 17, 2007 6:56 pm

Dialdirect wrote:I am looking to purchase an Alaska Kodiak Stoker Stove II from a friend of a friend for about $200. The stove is in fair shape but with a little work should look as good as new by the end of this summer. The stove need new glass, gaskets and ash pan. I've been told that the blowers and motors work but have not been able to check for myself. I called Alaska and they still make all replacement parts for the stove. Alaska also informed me that I could powervent the stove out my basement , which is the route I'm going to go with this stove.

I wanted to know if anyone else had any information about these stoves. I presently own a Harman Magnum Stoker in the main part of the house but need some coal heat in the basement area and this deal seems to good to pass up.
is it like this one on http://www.ebay.com item# 150110856353 or is it the older kodiak that was a handfeed only made back in the 80tis I had one myself there should be a info plate on the back lower left corner that will tell you when it was made and other info p.s. if you still have the other coal stove pm me.

Dialdirect

Post by Dialdirect » Thu. Apr. 19, 2007 8:09 pm

I looked at the stove on e-bay and they don't look the same. The one I'm buying looks similar to the Alaska Channing stoves of today. The Kodiak stoker looks to be about the same shape but has a smooth outer finish - no decorative pattern on the outside. It has a hopper that feeds from the back with a carpet and has two blowers one underneath the coal to keep it from going out and one to move the air overtop the stove. I wrote to the Alaska Stoves to get their take on the stove and this is what they wrote - The stove was built between 1985 and 1996 and we will always have replacement parts available for that stove. And, yes, you can power vent that stove.

I will post pictures when I get the stove on Saturday.

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Thu. Apr. 19, 2007 9:41 pm

OK,Rice coal it is!

BK

Dialdirect

Post by Dialdirect » Wed. Apr. 25, 2007 3:30 pm

Well I haven't had any time yet to take and post pictures but I will report that I picked up the stove on Saturday and I'm pretty happy with the purchase. I will need a new piece of glass - around $60 from Alaska Stove in Bloomsburg - and a new ash pan - but everything else is in good working condition. I disassembled the entire stove and cleaned all the coal ash out from all the hidden places. Hopefully this weekend I can sand the main part of the stove down and put a fresh coat of black paint down. After that I can finish cleaning the motors and reassemble the stove with new gaskets. If anyone has any tips or pointers please let me know. The last step is to decide weather I will powervent the stove or put up a chimney myself???

Thanks,
Eric

stokerstove
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kodiak Stokerstove 1

Post by stokerstove » Wed. Apr. 25, 2007 6:31 pm

Eric, I have an old Alaska Stokerstove in the basement, and after replacing the glass I found it wasn't long before it became dirty and finally spiderwebbed with cracks - even with the clean glass system. Since it is in the basement I decided to put in a piece of plate steel and do away with the glass alltogether.
I hope you already have an ash pan, cause having two saves you from having to immediately dump one and replace it.
I use a masonry chimney that I put up myself (around 30') and have 0 problems with draft or anything else. From what I've read, I would try to go with the reg. chimney and avoid the power vent.
I would also recommend a barometric damper.
The Alaska Bloomsburg store always has what I need, as well as advice, and my stove is one of their oldest.
If you ever do need blowers, check out Grainger (you need a business acct. to buy), but they have very reasonable prices.
I found the key to keeping the stove in good shape is cleaning and storage at the end of the heating season. I totally disassemble the stove, including the stove pipe, clean it well, leave it open and keep it dry. I run a dehumidifier in the warmer months to keep things dry in the basement. Some people use products like WD-40 to protect the metal, but I've found I don't need to do this and I don't like the smell and smoke when you light it back up.

Dialdirect

Post by Dialdirect » Thu. Apr. 26, 2007 10:40 am

Thanks for all the good advice. I think I'll give the masonary chimney a shot.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”