Alaska Kast Console II

MiscCheetah

Post by MiscCheetah » Sun. Mar. 21, 2010 3:08 pm

Greetings, I am seriously looking into an Alaska Kast Console but there isn't one I can see in operation. Sure the dealer has one to look at, but before I drop some serious money I'd like to know the "nitty gritty" about these Stoves.. Maybe see one working.. I guess I'm just a little hesitant about spending, what to me, is a very very serious investment. But I have a pellet stove that just can't survive another winter.. To replace the pellet stove would cost about the same as the Coal stove. Any thoughts? or is there a dealer near southern NH that has one able to run?

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Tue. Mar. 23, 2010 10:37 am

I think you wont go wrong buying the Alaska kast console II, but I don't know much about them.

i would imagine there should be a couple members who could help you out

MiscCheetah

Post by MiscCheetah » Wed. Mar. 24, 2010 6:23 pm

I hope so, I've been with pellet for a loooong time, but with working two jobs I am always running out.. I live on 1800 SQFT. I am hoping to get atleast 12 hours out of the 65 pound hopper.. It's a tight lil house so I am hoping I will. Right now I can get about 9 hours out of my lil pellet stove that is about 10 years old and going down hill fast.. I had to patch weld the heat exchangers at the end of feb. Now it seems like the control board may be dying. It doesn't always respond to the thermostat... -sigh- Damn relay... gah.. I'm rambeling..

Do you, or does anyone think I will be able to get 12 hours out of the Kast Console II? It's got a 65# hopper.. I don't have any exp with coal so I have no idea..

Coalfire
Hand Fed Coal Stove: DS Machine 96K btu Circulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut

Post by Coalfire » Wed. Mar. 24, 2010 8:16 pm

Hi,
You should be able to get 12 hours out of it. My mag only ever swallowed up 65 lbs in 24 hrs. Are you set on the Alaska for a reason? There are also other good stokers out there. The Harman for one, although a little pricey, but also the keystoker and the leisure line. I know a couple people who bought leisure line, with coal trol and could not be happier.
Just my thoughts check them all out if you are gonna buy new,
Have a great day, Eric

Riceburner78

Post by Riceburner78 » Wed. Mar. 24, 2010 8:37 pm

Hello. Just thought I'd give you my 2 cents worth since I have an older Alaska. I'm Not the biggest fan for one reason the motors used to power the stoker aren't the best and also don't like the fact that the same motor is used for feed and air. But you can do as I did and put on a separate combustion fan from grander. It will make the stove much more efficient. I used my Alaska this winter hooked up to a thermostat setup from a Harman and only went through 2.5 ton. $500 to heat my house for a winter not too bad. Now my house isn't the largest only 750 square ft with 750 square ft. basement so total 1500 square ft. I kept the stove in the basement and kept my house at 70deg and never used more than 65Lbs of coal for a 24 Hour Period. Even though I'm getting a newer Harman stove this year and will be selling my Alaska this upcoming year I would still recommend this stove over a pellet stove anytime.
Eric
PS you will have to clean the glass every day or you wont be able too see in. at least that's my experience. If you have any questions Ill check back in.

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Thu. Mar. 25, 2010 12:02 am

as was suggested before, I would take your time, since it isnt as cold anymore and look at all different kinds of coal stoves. I personally (if I could afford a new coal stove) would look at http://www.leisurelinestoves.com/ .

I think they have very nice stoves and would love to own one. They have stoves with hoppers that hold anywhere from 60lbs to 200 lbs. I have nothing against an Alaska stove, I just like the leisure line stoves.

I would love to put the Leisure Line Pioneer LE Back Vent in front of my fire place as a secondary heat source :D

MiscCheetah

Post by MiscCheetah » Wed. Mar. 31, 2010 1:51 pm

Thanks for all the input! I've been looking at stoves for a while and each has their own demons.. I have chosen Alaska for the simple reason there is a dealer very close to where I live. They also carry Leasure Line, Why Alaska.. the model stove will fit perfectly on my hearth and being a dog breeder the fact the motors are consealed inside the hearth is a plus.. I also would like to throw out a big Thanks to "Tom Manning" He is a kast Console owner who contacted me and took me under his wing so to speak.

We had a great afternoon and evening, Tom took it upon himself to invite me over and we went through his stove front to back, and even pulled it away from the hearth. We fired it up and shut it down.. simulated power outages and he gave me a few great ideas. His stove is hooked up to a Harman battery back up system and he keeps the marine batt behind the stove in the hearth! He also pointed out the motors but he hasn't had a problem in the three years he's had the stove. I never knew how much of a difference there was in coal eather.. Blaschak is his coal of choice. We talked over dinner and he thought I was a few cans short of a six pack for putting that size stove in my home. He said "You'll never have to clear your driveway just open a window and it'll melt!" He has a "Coal trol" hooked up to his stove and he explained how it worked.. Something I am going to think about, but I think I want to try the stove with out it first.

As to another point made in the helpful replys made by the fine folks who watch these forums, I am confident in all "name brand" stoves. True some may be more expencive or some may have better features. But in the long run they all heat your home and heat it well. the dealer that is close to me has been in buisness for a long time and isn't likely going anyplace. I kind of like the idea of having a source for parts (when I need them) close at hand. I will however pick up a spare motor or two... some of them do look kinda small.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to reply to my delema, and for the advice given. Now it's just a question of time. I've started a lay-a-way on the stove, thanks to the dealer for that. I'm glad some folks are still willing to do things "in house" and not through a credit corp.

Thanks again!

-Miscellaneous Cheetah

brckwlt

Post by brckwlt » Wed. Mar. 31, 2010 1:55 pm

good luck with your purchase and keep us updated once you get the stove and have it installed. Pictures would be nice as well once its installed!

MiscCheetah

Post by MiscCheetah » Wed. Mar. 31, 2010 2:02 pm

Count on it! I am like a child before x-mas! only another month and it'll be Mine!! Count on Pics as well!

Thanks again everyone!

-Miscellaneous Cheetah

Badog

Post by Badog » Sat. Apr. 03, 2010 12:11 am

You will be like a kid at Xmas getting a sled but there is no snow. :D

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Thu. Apr. 15, 2010 10:54 pm

Enjoy your new sled with no snow! I convinced my bride to buy a Keystoker last May, took delivery in late August, after the 2008/2009 stove crunch with oil going through the roof. It has been a great winter the Keystoker, it is my pride and joy! It's a coal thing. I had a Buderus hand fed for 27 years and convinced my wife the old man needed an easier way to heat the house. To say the least I am a hero. The house has never been warmer, and the Coal-trol has been my technical breakthrough along with the Keystoker. The other nite she had a blanket on and I said "are you cold? I can turn up the heat" she said I just want to be cozy! She never said that with oil. I think her new boyfriend might be King Coal! What do you think? :D :D

MiscCheetah

Post by MiscCheetah » Thu. Apr. 22, 2010 6:47 pm

I an looking forward to the house actually being above 40 degrees when it's 5 degrees outside.. My lil pellet stove has the hart of a hawk but the output of a nuthatch. I've decided to get a coal trol as well, now that I have a better understanding on how it works. I am gonna keep my pellet stove and rebuild it over the summer.. it'll be a great think to "take the edge off" in the early spring and fall. For those loverly days when ya only need a lil heat in the morning for an hour or so.. also it's nice to push a button and have it go. I'll save the coal stove for when it's cold enough to run it for more than an hour or so.

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Sun. Dec. 03, 2017 10:36 pm

Curious how things went with the Kast Console? I'm considering one in fireplace.

lincolnmania
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 350
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: reading allegheny stoker
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: alaska kodiak stoker 1986. 1987 triburner, 1987 crane diamond
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by lincolnmania » Mon. Dec. 04, 2017 7:47 am

can't go wrong with an alaska.......mine is 31 years old. great stoves!

swattley01
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alaska Gnome 40
Baseburners & Antiques: Buckwalters Vale Oak 315
Coal Size/Type: nut / rice
Other Heating: March Brownback potbelly #12

Post by swattley01 » Wed. Dec. 06, 2017 8:38 am

i just put the alaska gnome 40 in my ground floor living room and love this stove, i have a wood stove up stairs and miss the nice warm heat it puts out on my second floor. but i getting older and do not have the time or strength to keep up with the wood as a full time heat source, i will always have firewood here but the advantage of filling up my hopper wth 70 pounds of coal and it last me couple days since it is not real cold in ny yet but down to freeze every night, it is amazing how much heat this little stove pumps out. i could not afford one of the high end stokers and do not need all the auto thermostat features, i put the feed on maybe as high as 3 and it heats the whole first floor. as far as the motors it looks easy to repair as well.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”