Keystoker Koker, Direct Vent Maintenance

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Fri. Feb. 16, 2007 11:00 am

I am just about to buy a Keystoker Koker direct vent to install in my basement. I have a center chimney but it is not lined and corbeled (?)(it angles up where it goes through the attic) and the chimney experts said no way to line it. My question is how long of a vent can I run horizontally and how often does it need to be cleaned out and how hard is it? I don't mind doing the work but I'm afraid of having to shut the stove down and take the vent all apart every few days will get tiring. I could run a 6" triple wall stainless chimney on the outside of the house but that will put the stove in a very undesireable spot and the added $$$$ doesn't help. Thanks for any advice.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Feb. 16, 2007 11:17 am

You are much better off with an interior masonry chimney. Did you look into a cast in place liner? They will seal and stregthen the chimney. As long as it doesn't have any leaks (holes) you should be fine.
The longer the horizontal run, the more often you will need to clean it. I clean mine about twice per heating season, your mileage may vary.

e.alleg

Post by e.alleg » Sat. Feb. 17, 2007 12:55 pm

The chimney guy said for the price of cast in place liner I could buy an outdoor boiler. I didn't look into any further, the idea is to save money not go into debt,

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Feb. 17, 2007 4:10 pm

honestly I wouldn't be too worried about using an interior unlined chimney for coal only. wood is a different story, but with coal I wouldn't hesitate provided it's not completely falling apart.

Yanche
Stoker Coal Boiler: Alternate Heating Systems S-130
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Pea

Post by Yanche » Sat. Feb. 17, 2007 10:28 pm

I grew up in a home with an interior unlined brick chimney that had a gentle offset in it. Burned Anthracite coal for 50+ years before we switched to natural gas. Never a problem and it's still going strong. At about year 50 the exterior bricks visible above the slate roof were replaced when the rusted tin flashing was replaced. Never burned wood except to start the coal fires.

Yanche

Complete Heat

Post by Complete Heat » Sun. Feb. 18, 2007 2:09 pm

You can direct vent the Koker for far less money than a liner (stainless or cast in place), or a "Class A" chimney. Ideally you would want to run it into a chimney, but I have installed Keystoker boilers and 2 Keystoker 90s with the direct vent, and they operate just fine with minimal maintenance. Try to keep your horizontal run to a minimum and install a Tee section, to allow access to the horizontal run for easy cleaning. Remember, the longer the horizontal run, the more maintenance. I would try to keep it under 3 feet.

Mike

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”