Duct Fan Heat Tolerance

ewcsretired

Post by ewcsretired » Thu. Jan. 18, 2007 8:03 pm

I am going to get the jacket for my Hyfire 2. I have two, six inch pipes coming off the stove to registers in the first floor, the stove being in the cellar. The one pipe is a 15 foot run so I can get the fan away from the stove outlet far enough to not be concerned with overheating the fan. The other pipe is more of a concern, I can get at the most six feet away from the stove output.

Most fans I have been able to locate are rated at max temp 125 degrees. What temps can I expect in the pipes when the stove is really cranking?

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Thu. Jan. 18, 2007 9:32 pm

The problem here are the 2 small 6" pipes. When that stove is crankin I don't think the 2 runs will wash enough heat off of the stove, making it less efficient and sending much heat up the smoke pipe. I know that your in a bind for space, but. My daughter is heating her 2000' home with a Hyfire II and has not started up the second burner yet. She has a jacket with 2- 8"runs with duct fans half way up the pipes. One is about 6' from the the stove, the other is about 8' from the stove. So far no trouble but she is only burning 1 burner. Because of your 6" pipes I'm afraid to say what the temps of the air would be. There are many factors that play into this. Basement air temp, speed of the duct fans, if the air is directional or does it need to go around bends causing back pressure etc etc. I would be lying if I told you the fan motors won't burn up, because I don't know, and neither does anyone else. When you place the duct fans near the registers they can drive you crazy with the noise. This is a tuff call, and I think only you can make it by trial and error.
Good luck,
Jerry

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 8:40 am

Check out this link, say's max operating temp is 266 deg for their duct fans. Metal blades not the plastic ones.
Stay warm, Jimmy

**Broken Link(s) Removed**

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 8:42 am

Pretty good price too.

AL-53

Post by AL-53 » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 4:51 pm

The fans Jimmy linked you to are very good fans...I use them and they work great....you should not have any problems with them pulling heat off the stove...they are good build quality...If you need more CFM to pull ..use a 8" with a 6" reducer on both ends...

AL

coal_kid

Post by coal_kid » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 6:42 pm

I have two 8 inch fans I got from airboosterfans.com. I have their speed control too. I have each fan plugged into an outlet, and that entire outlet is on the speed control. I plan on getting two more for my upstairs rooms, and $15 line thermostats.

I was very happy their fans are Made in the USA.

ewcsretired

Post by ewcsretired » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 9:21 pm

Appreciate all the valuable information gentlemen, thanks.

rouxzy
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Mark III
Coal Size/Type: Stove, Nut / Anthracite

Post by rouxzy » Sat. Jan. 20, 2007 12:54 pm

I had an in line fan from Home Depot that wasn't really designed for my application. My Harman Mark III got a little over fired one day and, well lets just say the fan doesn't work anymore. I believe the fan was rated for 140 degrees. Go with the fans noted above.
Tom

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”