Pocono 90K to 110K Upgrade

cbc6
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by cbc6 » Wed. Nov. 18, 2009 7:48 pm

was wondering what the cost was to upgrade, the older post I saw was $250.00. Is it a kit that can be ordered? Can I get it from my local dealer or do I have to call the factory?

scotty

Post by scotty » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 9:03 am

It coast me $300, 250 plus shipping plus tax bla bla bla !!! But well worth it if you need a few more BTU's on a cold winter day. You have to take off you hopper, and 4 bolts that hold the burner, blower assembly in the stove. Real easy, I called my dealer and he had it in a couple days.

Scotty

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 11:39 am

The upgrade will be purchased through your local dealer. It is an exchange deal, the old feeder needs to be returned to us. :)

Rick 386
Stoker Coal Boiler: AA 260 heating both sides of twin farmhouse
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL Hyfire II w/ coaltrol in garage
Coal Size/Type: Pea in AA 260, Rice in LL Hyfire II
Other Heating: Gas fired infared at work

Post by Rick 386 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 1:51 pm

Matt,

Could the burners be swapped out on a Hyfire II ?? Just curious. Potential 220k output. Increase fan speed in the ductwork or add another fan downstream to push the heat farther in this slightly insulated open air garage of mine.

Then I could do the "Tim the Tool Man" grunt. :blowup:

Rick

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 2:11 pm

Funny you should mention that, there just happens to be a Hyfire double feeder frame with double 110 plenum/grate bases on it that we welded up today (Dave has been scheming! :lol: ). It will require a UL recert though to make the stove legal, so will be a little while yet till they are available. ;)

gambler

Post by gambler » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 2:35 pm

Just a stupid question because I know nothing about heat transfer and I can prove it. :lol: At what point do you need more stove body to transfer all of that 220k to the air? I would think that yes it could make 220k but will it be usable or will it go up the stack.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 2:38 pm

gambler wrote:Just a stupid question because I know nothing about heat transfer and I can prove it. :lol: At what point do you need more stove body to transfer all of that 220k to the air? I would think that yes it could make 220k but will it be usable or will it go up the stack.
VERY good question! :D

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Thu. Nov. 19, 2009 10:40 pm

No such thing as a stupid question, we are going to do some testing and answer that very question! ;) :D

As a side note, the current stack temps of the 180K BTU unit are very favorable and indicate there is more heat to be scrubbed off the stove, especially if you add the optional hot air jacket with a 14' or bigger outlet.

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Sat. Oct. 30, 2010 4:21 pm

I to have my doubts of getting all the heat from a potential 220K hyfire III(?) box. I need a lot of power so 220K in the form of two Pocos (really 240K) is great (disclosure - LL pays me to post :whistle: ). Sure, I could do that and more with one stove but two Pocos works for me. I paid a little more and got a little more. When they run at about half throttle the coals is more powdery and as the box area is double I assume I am getting better heat transfer. Of course, I have no real world data. I'm getting brave enough to take on the big boys on this system vs zoned hydronics. Hopefully, I can make it interesting enough to keep the NEPA boys entertained in the upcoming winter. Water is for drinking, scrub that - vodka is for drinking and water is for washing - scrub that too - water is for boating - scrub that, too expensive - who needs water?

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”