How Do You Oil Coal in Your Bin as You Fill the Bin?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 10:26 pm

Does anyone have any answers to what is best to use to oil your coal as it is added to your hopper? My coal in bags is wet which I drain prior to loading my outdoor hopper, and I would like to oil the coal so it does not freeze as adding more water would do and it should keep the dust down when loading the Keystoker hopper in the house.
Last edited by 2001Sierra on Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gater

Post by gater » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 10:31 pm

it will keep the dust down but won't keep it from freezing.the guy who I get coal from said they use peanut oil for dust only cost $10.00 extra per ton..

2001Sierra

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 10:37 pm

I am trying to keep the dust down after reducing the water moisture. Thanks for the information, I realize I will not make the coal freeze proof by adding the oil if water moisture is present.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 11:14 pm

The only thing I can suggest is getting a pesticide type garden sprayer and mist it as you add in each bag.

Edit:
My coal in bags is wet which I drain prior to loading my outdoor hopper,............ the Keystoker hopper in the house.
Does that hopper feed right into the Keystoker hopper? If it doesn't then your really going backwards, one thing that creates dust is moving it around such as dumping it it into something...

Don't be overly concerned with the moisture in the coal and putting it into the hopper. The best method with bags is to put the bag right in the hopper of the stove , cut the bag with a razor and pull the bag out.

2001Sierra

Post by 2001Sierra » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 11:20 pm

I will try the peanut oil misted with a garden sprayer and update the forum with my progress. My clearances on the stove's built in hopper do not allow me to bring in 50 lb bags and load them directly, also I have been hauling coal for 27 years and am looking to improve the handling of it as of course I am not getting younger :P . I have built a stainless steel lined outdoor hopper that should be completed within the next week. Have to get the wife's van in the garage before the snow flies or I will be living in the shed :!:

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Wed. Nov. 11, 2009 11:28 pm

How do you dry it? Maybe oil the top of it a day or two before before you move it and it will wick down. Adding the oil while moving it would still have a dust issue I would think. We're big on science projects around here. :)

Besides pouring and spraying would be a two man job. I don't let anyone get that close to my coal.

Coalbrokdale

Post by Coalbrokdale » Fri. Nov. 13, 2009 7:27 am

What type of oil is exceptable. Has any one use waste motor oil or fuel oil. I'm sure the smell would not me to nice. does this in crease the chances of a hopper fire?

2001Sierra

Post by 2001Sierra » Fri. Nov. 13, 2009 9:54 pm

You guys are killing me :shock: . I just want to pour dryer bags of coal into my bin, and add/spray oil on it to allow for dustless or cleaner transfer of coal when it is finally poured into my Keystoker 90 hopper in my living space. Nothing fancy just a cleaner transfer of coal. I plan on staging my bags of wet coal outside with weep holes in the bottom prior to loading my bin. Just trying to find out what kind of oil is best, and the quantity that should be applied.
Thank You

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Fri. Nov. 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Coalbrokdale wrote:..... Has any one use waste motor oil or fuel oil?......
I have 40 - 50 gallons of it if you need it. :D ;)

Razzler
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM DF520
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by Razzler » Fri. Nov. 13, 2009 11:15 pm

Forget the oil and just get your self a spray bottle and give the coal a spirit's of water before you shovel it in to your bucket. You don't need much, just a misting over the coal will keep the dust down.
http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/RL%20 ... 998TL.html

wefinish

Post by wefinish » Mon. Nov. 16, 2009 10:28 am

Don't over atomize the oil. Inhaling oil is extremely dangerous for your lungs and cannot be undone easily.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Mon. Nov. 16, 2009 6:13 pm

I think where I get my coal they will oil the coal at the rate of 1 gallon per 2 tons of coal. They use a non food grade vegetable oil. If I were doing it I would see what was in the kitchen because you may have some old rancid oil sitting around that can be used. I doubt the smell will be a problem because of the small amount of oil being used but you may want to test with a small amount of coal first. If using any old vegetable oil setting around the house is not an option I would just find the cheapest vegetable oil available and squirt it on with a garden sprayer or even a hand spray bottle if you are not doing much at a time.

gater

Post by gater » Sun. Dec. 27, 2009 11:01 pm

peanut oil in a hand sprayer

Bratkinson
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III
Other Heating: Gas FA

Post by Bratkinson » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 12:27 pm

The "old coal hand" at work gave me the dust solution I needed...

Turn on the shop vac with a hepa filter installed! I put the hose alongside my mini-bin coal chute (see COAL BIN Pics (about 1/2 way down)) and let 'er rip! I concurrently spray water on the coal while I'm filling the bucket. When I dump it into the hopper, there's no dust flying around that I can see! For what it's worth, now I'm getting a light accumulation of white dust (ash?) on my stove, ducts, and flue, not black coal dust these days...

As for the hepa filter, I bought a generic one at Home Depot and put it in my 20+ year old shop vac. Works great!

ken

Post by ken » Mon. Dec. 28, 2009 1:25 pm

I just sprayed the whole bin with used motor oil. Sprayed it heavy so it would just work its way to the bottom. Reduced the dust to almost nothing.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”