Need a Hot Air Stoker for Tight Fit

spc

Post by spc » Sat. Jan. 06, 2007 10:08 am

I have a waterford stove & would like to replace it with a stoker. The raised hearth my stove sits on is 28" deep & the stove vents through the top. I was thinking of a leisureline Econo Sidewinder but it vents through the back & would need an elbow out the back of the stove & one going back into the chimney. The back wall is non combustible. I don't no if I have enough clearance for the stove pipe to run up behind the stove. Is there a top venting stoker that will fit? I could make another hole in chimney where the stove vents but I'm trying to avoid this. Thank you.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 4:09 pm

Hi spc welcome to the forum. I have been waiting for someone to try to answer your questions but with no response yet, I'll give it a try.

We really need a photo of your raised hearth and current chimney/stove setup. A photo will save a lot of writing.

Your raised hearth, is it a few inches above the floor? Like an area paved with bricks?? It may be easiest to extend or enlarge the hearth area to accomodate a bigger stove.

Is the location an actual fireplace, or a non combustible wall with a chimney 'thimble' about 5' above the hearth?

There are some stoker stoves with top vent and side mounted hoppers, older Alaska units I thnk. I'm not sure about new units, I'd just contact all the current manufacturers of stoker stoves

Post us a photo here so we can help better.

Greg L

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 6:47 pm

LsFarm wrote:Hi spc welcome to the forum. I have been waiting for someone to try to answer your questions but with no response yet, I'll give it a try.

We really need a photo of your raised hearth and current chimney/stove setup. A photo will save a lot of writing.

Your raised hearth, is it a few inches above the floor? Like an area paved with bricks?? It may be easiest to extend or enlarge the hearth area to accomodate a bigger stove.

Is the location an actual fireplace, or a non combustible wall with a chimney 'thimble' about 5' above the hearth?

There are some stoker stoves with top vent and side mounted hoppers, older Alaska units I thnk. I'm not sure about new units, I'd just contact all the current manufacturers of stoker stoves

Post us a photo here so we can help better.

Greg L

Yes you are correct L.S Alaska still makes a few model's with side hoppers it is a model 140 it has a 200 lbs hopper on it and can be swich from rihgt to left side it as a 1550 cfm. blower on it and with a opt. for second feeder they also make it with two auger one for coal and one for pellets and it can be used with chimney or power vent there is another model with top feed hopper and top stack I think it is a kodiak hope I did this right and Ihope this helps

spc

Post by spc » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 7:04 pm

Greg, Thanks for your reply. I am looking at the Leasureline. Jerry said he could top draft an Econo Sidewinder.

Attachments

Stove5.jpg
.JPG | 56.6KB | Stove5.jpg
Stove2.JPG
.JPG | 40.8KB | Stove2.JPG

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 7:29 pm

SPC, What is that back wall made of? It doesn't look non combustible. Is it dry wall on wood framing? That stove is really close to it.

spc

Post by spc » Fri. Jan. 19, 2007 7:43 pm

It's steel studs with 1/2" cement board. The finish is a cement product made by "dryvit". I have 10" from back of stove to the wall.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”