Harman Magnum Stoker Installation

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Mon. Nov. 02, 2009 9:37 pm

This is a follow on to my Harman Magnum Stoker Restoration post...

Harman Magnum Stoker Restoration...

I finally got around to installing the stove and my install is a bit unique so I thought I'd share the details...

The combustion and convection blowers are mounted in the basement to eliminate the noise from the living space and the convection blower pulls the return air from the opposite side of the house setting up a circulation of warm air. Additionally, both the combustion and convection blowers operate 24x7 via discrete fan speed controls.

a 2x12 with 2x3" diameter holes + 8 mounting holes (4 for each blower) drilled and 2 3" duct pipe sections caulked into place.

mounted on the chimney foundation below. note the holes on the floor for ductwork and electrical

blowers mounted with ductwork through the floor. electrical in place

View from top. A kill switch for the stove stoker feeder operates off the outlet. 2 separate fan speed controls go to a split outlet in the basement. Only the feeder motor operates off the Harman controls. Both blowers run 24x7. I hope to replace the flex duct with rigid eventually.

To install the duct to the stove blower adapter, cut a piece of sheet metal the size of the blower adapters and drill a 3" hole through them. insert the pipe into the hole and epoxy in place with JB weld which also provides an air tight seal.

Intake side of the convection blower. 4" starting collar to a 4x7 increaser to a 7" semi rigid duct to 2x5' sections of 7" round duct.

Other side of the ductwork. 7" round to oval adapter going through the floor.

hole cut out in between the walls for the round to oval duct and another hole for the register on the wall (I had to move the outlet).

Opposite side of the wall.

With a 10x10x1 return filter register installed.

Expanding form insulation around the duct and register before the drywall is replaced.

With the filter installed... I'm using my coal stove to eliminate the dust in the house... How great is that?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Nov. 03, 2009 7:28 am

Awesome install! :) Very Clean and well thought out.
How's the noise with the blowers mounted below?

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Tue. Nov. 03, 2009 7:38 am

WNY wrote:How's the noise with the blowers mounted below?
I can hear a low hum when the convection blower is running at full speed. This is not the blower but rather the air moving through the stove and out the front. If I back off the speed just a tiny bit I can't hear anything. I can't hear the combustion blower at all.

I did this after reading a post from another forum member (mjb) and multiple suggestions for running at least the combustion blower 24x7. Having done it... I can recommend this arrangement to anyone who has a basement or access to their stove from below or another room where the blower noise won't be a problem. All new hearth installs should have the holes "built in" for any stove that has a combustion or convection blowers (including pellet stoves).

jws3

Post by jws3 » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 8:30 am

Excellent job!! Is the combustion blower running at 100%, or do you have it slowed down. I put a rheostat on my distribution blower, and although it worked quite well, these little AC motors will hum and get hot if slowed too much.

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 9:16 am

jws3 wrote:Excellent job!! Is the combustion blower running at 100%, or do you have it slowed down. I put a rheostat on my distribution blower, and although it worked quite well, these little AC motors will hum and get hot if slowed too much.
Both the combustion and convection blowers are running 24x7 on a fan speed control. The combustion blower ductwork is providing some resistance (pressure head) and acting like a restrictor plate so I don't have to turn down the fan speed control much. I am still "tuning" the burn but even with the temps in the mid 30's at night the stove is dwelling most of the time.

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 5:51 pm

Thanks, very nice install. Would like to do the same with my Magunm. Have a 5 inch hearth that I core drilled for the pipes for the hot water coil. The noise from the blowers is annoying, would love to quite it down.
Stay warm jimmy

NEastUnlmtd
Stoker Coal Boiler: GJ-EFM Hybrid
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Harman Magnum

Post by NEastUnlmtd » Thu. Nov. 05, 2009 8:29 am

How is the draw on that return? Mine would need to be at least 20 ft. so I am reluctant.

Great install! I wanted to put my blower under the floor when I had my Mark I in the living room. I ended up getting a deal n a Mag so I put it in the cellar.

eelhc

Post by eelhc » Sat. Nov. 07, 2009 5:15 pm

NEastUnlmtd wrote:How is the draw on that return? Mine would need to be at least 20 ft. so I am reluctant.

Great install! I wanted to put my blower under the floor when I had my Mark I in the living room. I ended up getting a deal n a Mag so I put it in the cellar.
The draw is pretty good. My return run is ~12ft and I'm using 7" duct. For 20ft, 8" or maybe even a 12" duct should do. I have both blowers on fan speed control switches and the convection blower is turned down a bit. The blowers so run cooler as well since they're not mounted directly on the stove.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 6:12 am

Pure genius. :)

Blackdiamonddoug

Post by Blackdiamonddoug » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 6:56 am

great install looks like you solved the noise problem and cut down on the dust

Doug

traderfjp

Post by traderfjp » Sun. Nov. 22, 2009 8:39 am

Kudos for creativity.

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Sat. Sep. 29, 2012 9:04 pm

Finally got to move the blowers to the basement....fired the mag up today....silence.....also combustion air is now coming from the exterior, was tired of the breeze coming past my chair. Also distribution fan is pulling air from opposite side of the house. Took me 7 years but was worth the wait.
Jimmy

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Sun. Sep. 30, 2012 8:47 am

Very nice! You do nice work. I love how our installs evolve and improve every year.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”