How Can I Get My Pocono Set up Like This?

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 1:22 am

I just saw this picture of a member's Pocono with dual flu pipes coming out to the top of the Pocono.

Is this a standard configuration? The LL website always shows one exhaust pipe coming strait up from the middle of the top - and that pipe is going up the chimney.

It looks like these two pipes on this configuration are hot air jets would be connected to ducts into the house.

Is my take on this picture correct. Two hot air jets - each driven by its own blower fan - ready to be connected to my house duct work ?

Will my LL dealer set me upo like this ? If so I don't think Id need the jacket .

If I could set mine up like this - what advantage would a hot air jacket give me over this dual output configuration ?

Attachments

PoconoTVFirstBurn.jpeg

The 2 pipes coming out of the top are not what the standard picture of the Pocono shows on the LL website.

.JPEG | 772.4KB | PoconoTVFirstBurn.jpeg

Matthaus

Post by Matthaus » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 5:34 am

The dual pipes in the picture are from the duct top and not the flue, you can see the flue coming off the top with black pipe connected (it exits at the rear top of the stove). This stove is using a dual outlet duct top, which is an option, normally there is one outlet and generally uses the convection fans on the stove to push air through the ducts, you can also add inline duct fans to boost the flow for long runs.

If you look closely at the picture you can see a piece of metal blocking the normal air outlet at the front of the stove just under the top. The convection fans on the Pocono are at the rear and force air up the back and across the top, this configuration creates a plenum out of the back and top of the stove. The fans are both feeding this common plenum and do not individually feed the ducts, but rather create air flow in both ducts pretty much equally.

The hot air jacket on the other hand extends over the sides of the stove as well and omits the use of the convection fans in the back, it uses a larger inline duct fan, generally the hot air jackets use 12" or 14" round outlets to facilitate connection to the duct fan. This configuration is usually hooked to the cold air inlet of a hot air furnace, but can also be used to distribute the air to floor registers. The other attribute of the jacket is less radiant heat in the space where the stove is located, in other words more surface area of the stove is covered and putting heat into the ducts.

As you plan your system and get ideas I encourage you to continue posting on the forum and talk with your dealer as well. You can also reach us at the plant at [Phone Number Removed]. I salute you on the questions you're asking, they'll help you stay warm this winter! :)

smokeyCityTeacher
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 30-95

Post by smokeyCityTeacher » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 2:42 pm

Thanks for the explanation. The hot air jacket is still the plan. I want as much of the stove's heat going into my ducts.

More questions.

1) If I get a jacket+coil for the Pocono can I put a magic heat reclaimer unit on the exhaust flu to take that last bit of heat from the flu to be used to heat the space where the heater is located - or is the jacket so efficient that there is not enough heat in the flu to justify a magic heat reclaimer unit?

2) Will the upgrade of the 90KBTU burner to the 110KBTU burner affect my ability to use the jacket + coil configuration ?

Thanks again for your patience with these questions - I just want to squeeze every BTU out of my $3000+ furnace project!

cbc6
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Hyfire II
Coal Size/Type: rice

Post by cbc6 » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 3:51 pm

as far as the magic heat reclaimer unit....i am not sure,i also have pocono back vent and the exhaust flue/chimney pipe doesnt get hot enough so that I cant touch it. The upgrade from the 90k to 110k burner shouldnt make any difference at all, its the burner grate that is modified. Hope this helps and if I am wrong I know someone will correct me :D

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Sun. Nov. 01, 2009 4:08 pm

Don't waste your money on a magic, they are made for Wood stoves, the exhaust on the coal stoves is much lower and you don't want to decrease your temps too much and loose your draft up your chimney.
Do a search on here for heat reclaimer, been discussed quite a few times.
Thread on Heat Reclaimers....pros/cons.

Heat Reclaimer

Magic Heat Reclaimer

Heat Reclaimer?

I don;t think upgrading to the 110K will affect the jacket or coil, Just gives you a bit more heat output.

Uglysquirrel

Post by Uglysquirrel » Wed. Nov. 04, 2009 9:26 pm

Stokers burn at a lower draft compared to hand feds, pulling a small amount of heat you can render from the heat-o-later attached to the stove pipe will lower your draft on warmer days, make sure you have CO detectors and someone is home if you have pets.

b

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”