Econo Combustion Fan Motor LOUDLY Vibrating??

erikajoe

Post by erikajoe » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 8:05 am

Hi All!
I fired up my Econo yesterday and the combustion fan motor is LOUDLY vibrating. It appears that its vibrating on inside the housing since I do not notice any movement on the outside. The noise is driving me insane. Does anyone have any suggestions??? This is only our second year with the stove and it definitely did not make this noise last year. HELP! Thanks so much :)

erikajoe

Post by erikajoe » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 10:07 am

I also wanted to add that the motor gets VERY hot. What should I do? Anyone?

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 3:41 pm

check to see if the squirrel cage is really dirty. sometimes if they get full of crud it will throw them off balance. this would cause the vibration as well as the excessive heat, the reason being the motor will pull more amperage than if it was running at full speed. hope this helps.

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 3:47 pm

sorry, I should have explained myself better. the squirrel cage is the part of the fan (not the motor) that actually spins and pushes the air. If it worked OK when you shut it off last year, check to to be sure there is not a dead critter in there. seriously- I found a dead dehydrated mouse in one once. made a heck of a racket when you fired it up.
Good luck, let me know how you make out.

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 4:02 pm

Yeah, sounds like theres a mouse in the squirrel cage. If you can, add some oil to the motor's bushings, as well.

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Tue. Oct. 13, 2009 7:27 pm

It's a long shot but ck the protective cover around the feeder motor. Just a box type cover made out of sheet metal. When I reassembled my Econo, I dint have that cover just right and wow did it make some noise. I thought the gearbox, bearings and fan all went bad. I reached around back and moved that cover and all went quiet. Good luck.

Rereading your post, that cover may be your issue. Hope it helps

k9 Bara
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1996 EFM 520 DF
Coal Size/Type: Buck / Reading

Post by k9 Bara » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 11:17 am

Any luck? You get it fixed? :?:

idruthrbfishin

Post by idruthrbfishin » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 11:19 am

sorry, Chris F. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence, just trying to be helpful to someone who is having a problem. Maybe you don't have mice in NJ? :D

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Oct. 14, 2009 1:57 pm

idruthrbfishin wrote:sorry, Chris F. I didn't mean to insult your intelligence, just trying to be helpful to someone who is having a problem. Maybe you don't have mice in NJ? :D
No, seriously, it sounds like something really crawed into the squirrel cage :shock:
We have WAYYYYY too many mice around here, and that has happed to us. They get into the clothes dryer and get baked, then the clothes all smell like cooked road-kill :sick:

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”