Outfoxing Old "Rusty"?

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 6:11 pm

Next year FLUID FILM, Sprayed bottom of dump trailer, my Sierra, and the wives van. It really is friendly to humans, I truly believe LPS3 is far superior but we are only trying to protect our coal burners for the summer. I really think fluid film will become the no brainer of choice.

http://www.fluid-film.com/

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Nov. 23, 2013 8:59 pm

If you want something more durable for the vehicles, use fluid film "AR" - melt it in a turkey fryer and spray it on warm.

vulcan
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: keystoker koker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby rear vent

Post by vulcan » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 7:39 am

I wasn't happy with the results after the water and baking soda cleaning this past spring either. I have decided when I shut the koker down this spring I will dry vac it then place one of the small ceramic heaters in it for the summer. I saw that previously posted here by someone but can't remember who. It seems like a good idea and probably doesn't use much more power than a light bulb.

Carbon12
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice/Anthracite
Other Heating: Heat Pump/Forced Hot Air Oil Furnace

Post by Carbon12 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 8:32 am

Anyone use an infrared lightbulb like the kind they use for keeping pet reptiles warm in their tanks? They have low wattage ones. It's a bulb designed for heat and not for light.

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 8:49 am

Part of the desired effect besides heat is the convection air currents created...that reptile lamp has some convection ,but is more so a radiant heat.

dalmatiangirl61

Post by dalmatiangirl61 » Sun. Nov. 24, 2013 4:37 pm

Anyone here in a desert environment with virtually no humidity? Do you still get rusting? I'm wondering how my SS chimney will hold up if not cleaned/de-acidified yearly?

Un-slaked lime is not that dangerous, it just requires some common sense, and needs to be kept away from children :lol: . Finding un-slaked lime is just about impossible today, mainly because of laws concerning transporting it. I make my own lime about once a year by burning limestone with coal, then I slake it (yes it is an exothermic reaction that will boil the water) and mix it with sand for a traditional lime mortar, its far cheaper than buying it from the few places that sell it, and no crazy haz-mat transport fees.

oliver power
Stoker Coal Boiler: KEYSTOKER Kaa-2
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 50-93 & 30-95, Vigilant (pre-2310), D.S. 1600 Circulator, Hitzer 254

Post by oliver power » Mon. Nov. 25, 2013 8:01 pm

vulcan wrote:I wasn't happy with the results after the water and baking soda cleaning this past spring either. I have decided when I shut the koker down this spring I will dry vac it then place one of the small ceramic heaters in it for the summer. I saw that previously posted here by someone but can't remember who. It seems like a good idea and probably doesn't use much more power than a light bulb.
Hi Valcan, That was me who mentioned the ceramic heater (small cubical heater). I discovered this by mistake. At shut down time, I pulled the stove pipe off. Capped the smoke outlet, and plugged the bottom of the hopper. I then temporarily stuck the small cubical heater in the ash pit till I had time to properly clean the inside of boiler. When that time finally came, I noticed the heater wasn't running. At closer observation, I realized the heater's dial thermostat (set on low) had shut the heater off. The water temp gauge read about 30*. No rust, No dampness, and no corrosion. It was working so good, I never did clean the boiler that summer. Come time to fire up the boiler again in fall, I pulled the heater from ash pit. The inside of the boiler was as if I never shut down. It worked so good, I purposely did the same thing this last past summer, with GREAT results. This is now my yearly shut down practice for the boiler. As for the metal chimney, and stove pipe; I rinse clean with garden hose. Then spray mixture of baking soda & water. Baking soda & water works GREAT on metal chimney, and stove pipe (Another yearly practice).

coalkirk
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1981 EFM DF520 retired
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507 on standby
Coal Size/Type: Lehigh anthracite/rice coal

Post by coalkirk » Mon. Nov. 25, 2013 8:16 pm

Seems like a ceramic heater would be more expensive to run than a 60 w bulb. As long as you seal up all the openings you don't need much to keep the moisture in check.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”