High Temperature Silicone or Gasket Cement?

A Coal stoker furnace or stove controls most operations including automatically feeding the coal. They are quite similar to any conventional oil and gas units and easily operated for extended periods of time. They commonly use rice coal but may use larger sizes like buckwheat. They can be used as primary heat, supplementary heat or have a dual set up with your existing oil/gas furnace.
eelhc
Stove/Furnace Make: Harman Magnum Stoker

Post Fri. Sep. 18, 2009 10:23 pm

Gasket cement withstands temperatures up to 2000*F but can be a PITA to clean off.
High Temperature Silicone comes off easy enough but the ones I've found are only rated for 600*F max. This should be good enough for the doors but what about the grate holder and the grates?

Scottscoaled
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520, 700, Van Wert 800 GJ 61,53
Baseburners & Antiques: Magic Stewart 16, times 2!
Coal Size/Type: Lots of buck
Other Heating: Slant Fin electric boiler backup

Post Fri. Sep. 18, 2009 10:53 pm

What I have been finding out the hard way is the high temp silicon evaporates, assimilates, or something like that. It dissapears. I put it around my door on the boiler and it doesn't last as long as the other stuff.
I think a man does what he can, untill his destiny is revealed. Right now that is trying to sell my EFM plate boilers in 520 and 700 sizes.

009to090
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 HighBoy
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: DVC-500 x 2
Coal Size/Type: Anthracite Rice

Post Fri. Sep. 18, 2009 10:54 pm

The grates can be sealed with furnace Cement.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”