Keystoker Feed Rate Adjustment

cozmo469

Post by cozmo469 » Mon. Nov. 13, 2006 6:12 pm

Well, I have my keystoker up and running for about a week...it work like a champ. I installed it myself with a direct vent...no problems. I cut a template for the hole, drilled right through the interior and exterior wall, centered the drill hole and traced the template. No matter how much planning you do, it is heart wrenching to cut through your wall.

I saw in a few posts that people discussed backing the system down to bare minimum. Do you simply do this by adjusting the feed rate?rate? How do you know what feed rate is sufficient (just watch and learn?)

When I got it, it seemed like the feed rate was set pretty low. I turned it up a bit, but not much. I seems like I will take out the bolt if I back it down any more than the factory preset. Right now when the temp is in the 50's and 60's during the day, I would like to use as little coal as possible. I'm using about 1/2 bucket every day. Just curious to find out "how low will it go".

Thanks,
Tom

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Nov. 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Yes, you can adjust a couple of different ways. You said it, by trial and error, but minor adjustments only! That is how I have learned...

1. The Turn Screw on the back of the stoker should be set at around 2 turns from the factory, turn clockwise in, then back off 2 full turns, you can then do 1/4 - 1/2 turn and check the burn size, it will take a while (1-2 hours) then, it should start to decrease to slow the feed down and the burn area will start to go dimmer, just keep an eye on it so it doesn't go completey out.

2. Timer -You can pull out 1 pin every 10 mins for 10-15 seconds off the time for the stoker to run. This keep its it pushing just enough to stay burning.

It takes approx. 1 to 1-1/2 minutes (60-90 seconds) for a complete cycle of the stoker arm, so 6 pins x 15 secs = 90 seconds or so.

When warm, I have gotten mine down to about 1#/hr or less without going out. About 50# bag every 2-3+ days.

The drawback in decreasing the feed rate is when it needs more heat via the thermostat, it will take longer to fire back up, since now you are feeding it less per stroke of the pusher and more strokes required. Maybe when it gets colder, you can turn the rate back up a bit, that is what I do.

Note: When really cold, it can go thru 25#''s over night!

Have fun! :)

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”