Temperatures for Harman Magnum Stoker

ericcjack

Post by ericcjack » Sun. Nov. 05, 2006 8:22 pm

Just fired up my Magnum Stoker for the first time!

I was curious what other people have for stove temps.

i used a laser...here are some numbers.

stove top center 188
flew base 210
flew center 125
flew top 119
door glass 240
top front where air blows out 350

good? bad?

~E~

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Sun. Nov. 05, 2006 9:17 pm

hey, I do not get very hot stove pipe either under 120 the stove has ranged from 100-300 300 put real hot air out the front - 100 puts warmish air but then again the coals are much lower. Before I installed I tore an entire dry wall down and replaced with cement board because I was under impression temps would be near 500-700 range. sounds like its working if your getting the hot air from distribution outlet.

ginski

Post by ginski » Mon. Nov. 06, 2006 2:52 am

good morning,

it was in the upper 20's last evening (very light wind) and only pushing 1.5 dots on the feeder, and the digital thermostat set to 74 upstairs, the magnum stayed in idle mode the whole evening and kept the house at 77 degrees with the vent setup I have going to the living area on the second floor. cellar stayed at 75 degrees where it is installed.

sidewall temperature stayed around 225 degrees. barometric damper was 1/2" open all the time, keeping a percentage of the heat in the stove where it belongs.

by the way, I use a bar magnet (1" X 12") to block the front distribution airway (adjustable) to allow more or less air diverted up the duct pipe.

i'm very impressed with this machine.

regards,
tom

jimbo970

Post by jimbo970 » Mon. Nov. 06, 2006 8:06 pm

I am wondering where you got te bar magnet to block the front? Why will leaving the baro half open allow you to get more heat into the room? Thought that would suck warm air from the surrounding area and send it through the flue to outside.

I have a magnum too. Can you attach a digital therm ove the analog one that came with the stove? If so what brand did you get.

Thanks
Jimbo

wenchris

Post by wenchris » Mon. Nov. 06, 2006 9:08 pm

Tom, like the bar magnet idea. Where does one acquire one. Stay warm, Jimmy :idea:

ginski

Post by ginski » Tue. Nov. 07, 2006 3:07 am

bar magnets could probably be found at grainger.com or mcmaster-carr supply houses. I got mine from a job site I was on years ago, so I don't know where it came from. you don't have to use a bar magnet...just cut a piece of 24 gauge sheet metal (heavier if you like) to the size you require, and use 2 smaller magnets (available at staples or office max) to hold it in place.

the mercury thermostat that came with the stoker is not as sensitive to the smallest changes in room temperature as a digital one. the honeywell digital thermostat I bought at home depot for $39 is sensitive to a 1 degree change in ambient air (honeywell model RTH230B). just follow the 2-wire heating schematic that came with it (one wire from the stove connected to 'W' & the other wire connected to'Rh' on the thermostat) and you're good to go. it's 7 day programmable (if you wish) and there's other brands available which do the same thing.

the barometric damper's opening was 1/2 inch open, not completely half open, and it's main purpose is to save you money on whatever fuel you're using by keeping the heat in your appliance. by providing a small percentage of room air to go up the chimney instead of the heat in your coal stove, your stove is more efficient on fuel & stays hotter. you're heating the inside of your house better with it, than without it.

all the best,
tom

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”