Alaska Stoker Lubrication and Glass Cleaning

jacknanticoke
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III

Post by jacknanticoke » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 8:19 am

Should I be oiling any parts during the burn season? If so, which ones and whats the best way to lube them up.

Also, my glass is totally fogged up from burning. I wipe off the flyash with a dry towel, but its still fogged up. I am afraid to spray anything wet on the glass while its hot for fear it will crack. How do you guys clean the glass while burning and whats the best thing to use?

bksaun
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Legacy SF-270
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 503
Coal Size/Type: Stoker/Bit, Pea or Nut Anthracite

Post by bksaun » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 8:22 am

There is a grease fitting on the bearing for the feeder and a little turbine oil on the fans would not hurt.

Bk

jacknanticoke

Post by jacknanticoke » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 8:29 am

bksaun wrote:There is a grease fitting on the bearing for the feeder and a little turbine oil on the fans would not hurt.

Bk
So I can use a regular grease gun for the fitting? Also, how do I oil the fans? I know there is one for the grates and the other for my blower.

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 8:52 am

jacknanticoke wrote: So I can use a regular grease gun for the fitting? Also, how do I oil the fans? I know there is one for the grates and the other for my blower.
Standard grease fitting yes. The feeder fan...haven't yet oiled it, didn't find a need.

For the Blower If you look at the housing you'll notice on top surface (side opposite the screen) 2 small notches in the sheetmetal, those are holes you'll to put a few drops of 3-1 Oil or any other favorite you choose.

Your glass, well theres a whole topic about that on here, just use the search feature. I just wipe it down and live with it fogged out, gave up last year. It's not in a living area so I really don't care, you on the other hand may want to anti-fogging Glass Alasaka sells as an option.

GettingStoked

Post by GettingStoked » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:33 am

I burned solid for 3 months and when I shut it down to clean the stove I also attempted to clean the glass. If you do a search you will find just about everything under the sun that was attempted. I used 0000 steel wool because its safe for glass, so figured it would be ok for ceramic and it worked relly good on areas that weren't etched. The parts that are etched will still look hazy or cloudy. Not much you can do about that.. though I know they make a product for taking scratches out of glass and acrylic.. I wonder if they would polish the scratches out... might have to check into that one myself. :) good luck..

jacknanticoke

Post by jacknanticoke » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Ed.A wrote: Standard grease fitting yes.
Can I use any type of grease, for example grease used for cars?

Ed.A
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Channing III/ '94 Stoker II
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Ed.A » Fri. Mar. 13, 2009 11:16 pm

jacknanticoke wrote:
Ed.A wrote: Standard grease fitting yes.
Can I use any type of grease, for example grease used for cars?
Yes....yes you can. :)

Albanypaul
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Kast Console III rear vent
Coal Size/Type: rice
Other Heating: oil

Post by Albanypaul » Fri. Sep. 23, 2022 8:09 am

I have purchased a high quality battery operated grease gun I really really like. Due to the compact area behind the stove this gun is the best option I have found. It wasn’t cheap but I now use it on all equipment. I also use red high temperate grease on my Alaskan stove, seems to work well. Sure wish the exhaust motor had grease fittings but 3-1 oil is my choice for now. Now have to find a working solution to clean and keep clean the glass on the face of my stove. Had it for over 10 years now and have replaced glass several times but nothing seems to work. Any ideas anyone? Thanks and best wishes, stay warm

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”