Building a TRUE Sinewave UPS for My DVC-500

SMITTY
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520 Highboy
Coal Size/Type: Rice / Blaschak anthracite
Other Heating: Oil fired Burnham boiler

Post by SMITTY » Sat. Apr. 04, 2009 10:04 pm

Do you happen to have a wiring diagram made up for your work? I was trying to follow in the slide show, but the multi-pin relay threw me off -- I understand how the automotive 4 pin relays work (+ & - for primary, then secondary is just like a switch, joining 2 wires), but that one had me baffled! :shock:

I wish I had a better understanding of electronics. I know the very basics, but not enough to rig something like that up -- that is sweet! :up:

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Sun. Apr. 05, 2009 9:48 pm

SMITTY wrote:Do you happen to have a wiring diagram made up for your work? I was trying to follow in the slide show, but the multi-pin relay threw me off -- I understand how the automotive 4 pin relays work (+ & - for primary, then secondary is just like a switch, joining 2 wires), but that one had me baffled! :shock:
Smitty, I threw together a diagram that I hope makes sense. It shows the layout of the relay itsself, and the connections I made for the UPS.
Hope it helps answer your questions.......
4PDT_relay.JPG
.JPG | 93.8KB | 4PDT_relay.JPG

coalnewbie
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: LL AnthraKing 180K, Pocono110K,KStokr 90K, DVC
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Invader 2
Baseburners & Antiques: Wings Best, Glenwood #8(x2) Herald 116x
Coal Size/Type: Rice,
Other Heating: Heating Oil CH, Toyotomi OM 22

Post by coalnewbie » Wed. Aug. 05, 2009 9:31 am

I am reading with interest. I guess these machines need good quality power and the electricity does go off of course mainly in winter. Being a little technically challenged ( or getting lazier in my old age) I searched for made up solutions. Buy.com has Pro-Source 1500 UPS - PPCUPSPS1500 - pure sine wave and OCZ makes a lot of good stuff. I think Toms hardware did a review of this unit. Tiger wants $426 by the time shipping is paid for. Buy.com has free shipping and it is about $300.

2001Sierra
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90 Chimney vent
Coal Size/Type: Rice
Other Heating: Buderus Oil Boiler 3115-34

Post by 2001Sierra » Mon. Oct. 26, 2009 9:03 pm

I used an oscilloscope on my vintage Coleman Powermate 4000W generator and it produced a true sine wave, yes the power was a little dirty but full peak to peak sine wave. Hooked up a a Topaz Power conditioner to it and cleaned up the sine wave better than the output we have at my computer repair shop at the university.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm finally got a quad relay and am about to wire up my inverter back up unit. One question: It says in the inverter instructions to never run 110V from an outlet into the inverter. After this is all wired up, when the power goes out, it switches to the inverter, no problem, but, when the power comes back on, isn't the inverter getting 110 line volts for a split second until the magnet in the relay pulls the points apart?
It seems to me that either A: a mili-second of 110 from line voltage won't hurt the relay. ( I'd sure need some convincing!) or B: there should be a delay relay so the points open before the line voltage so the inverter doesn't get that little jab of power. Whatcha think?

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 1:38 pm

Freddy wrote: It seems to me that either A: a mili-second of 110 from line voltage won't hurt the relay. ( I'd sure need some convincing!) or B: there should be a delay relay so the points open before the line voltage so the inverter doesn't get that little jab of power. Whatcha think?
Freddy, No, 110vac will never be fed INTO the inverter, if you hook up the relay correctly. Double-check the relay diagram above.
1) The BLUE arrows tell the rest of the story. What gets hooked up to the center pin, is the inverter's old 110vac OUTLET that has been cut out of the inverter. THE OUTLET can be connected to either 110vac from Utility (Wall outlet), or from inverter's 110vac output. There is no way the inverter output can be hooked up to wall outlet. Thats a no-no..... :fear: :eek2:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh DUH! Slap me up the side of my head. Of course.... that split second only the COIL of the relay sees the line 110. I get it! I get it! Thank you. <back to the soldering gun I go>

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”