Retrofitting the Alaska140 With a Coal-Trol

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 6:15 pm

I have heard different opions about retrofitting the Alaska140 with a Coal-Trol. First is it doable? Also how is the combustion blower motor affected? Does it adjust the speed?
I want to start gathering some info as this heating eason winds down.
Thanks

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Mon. Feb. 23, 2009 7:34 pm

The combustion blower runs 24/7 at 100% with the Coaltrol. It only regulates the feed rate and depending on the blower setup, varies that too based on Room Temp/setpoints.

If you only have a 1 speed blower like some of the other larger Coal Stokers or using your furnace blower, you have to get the "Optional Output Contacts" to control it.

If you have the variable speed built in blowers, the Coaltrol can control those very well.

I retrofitted my Hyfire and it works very well. It was only Rheostat controls before.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 7:01 am

So when the fire is at"IDle" as Alaska calls it the combustion motor is running slower?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 7:14 am

The Combustion blower run 24/7 @ 100% ALL the time. There is NO variable speed. It burns much better at higher velocity even at idle.

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 11:28 am

The Coal-trol does work with the 140, both auger and stoker fed. Depending on the current rating of the blower motor in the one you get, it may be controlled by the convection output (we recommend on these larger blowers that you increase the CFM setting on the Coal-trol up to 40-50, this will prevent the motor from being turned too slowly to cool the motor properly). However, most people with these larger stoves and blower setups, even if the motor is rated for the Coal-trol to run it, opt to keep the plenum limit switch controlling the blower fan. In this configuration the blower runs independently from the coal-trol and the coal-trol only operates the stoker and combustion motors.

Kungur

Post by Kungur » Tue. Feb. 24, 2009 5:01 pm

Paul,
Thanks fgor your reply. So I guess my question now is "what difference would a Coal-Trol make as opposed to what came with my Alsaka 140?"

pvolcko
Verified Business Rep.

Post by pvolcko » Wed. Feb. 25, 2009 6:35 pm

If you are happy with what you've got, then we're not pushing you to make a change.

Many people, though, are displeased with their standard controls, specifically their ability to maintain a steady temperature. Our claim and the reason for the Coal-trol existing is to solve the fluctuating temperature issue that so many observed with their old thermostatic controls. For those with dials and timers, the ease of use along with the steady temperature control is a very welcome upgrade. Providing steady temperature control in the manner our controls do has the side benefit of saving fuel.

In some few cases customers are left wanting, so we offer a money back satisfaction guarantee (don't recall the period off hand, 60 days is a safe bet, if you're interested in the specific length let me know) in addition to our 3 year warranty and many customer service options: phone, email, a growing set of dealers who can answer many questions, PM's and messages on this forum and a great set of customers here on the forum that are very responsive, along with years of posts to search for questions and answers.

One of the things we make clear to potential customers installing on an Alaska stove: Alaska tells their customers that installation of the Coal-trol on their stoves while they are still under warranty will void that warranty.

We do not provide warranty coverage for anything but the Coal-trol product, so unfortunately installation on an Alaska is more of a buyer-beware proposition than with other maker's stoves. Knowing all this, many people chose to install it anyway and I've never heard of anyone being denied warranty coverage on their stove due to Coal-trol installation.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”