Coal Ashes Clumping Together in Keystoker

voss

Post by voss » Mon. Oct. 23, 2006 6:06 am

Hello,
i have a question about the ashes from my keystoker. The ash seems to clump together like it is not all completely burned. Is this normal for the ash? is it poor quality coal?
also I have access to a lot of old feed bags and was wondering if anyone has went to a supplier of bulk coal and bagged there own at bulk prices.

red ash

Post by red ash » Mon. Oct. 23, 2006 3:32 pm

Minor "clumping" is not a problem! I burn high quality, low/red ash coal and still get some clumps! If you adjust your feed rate correctly you should not have unburnt coal falling off the end of the grate! The coal is packed fairly tight on the grate and looses over 90% of its weight as it burns. This light ash clings to itself and often retains the shape of the grate!

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Oct. 26, 2006 6:00 am

You can expect some some clumping and unburnt coal. Also be aware that stoker ash differs from hand-fired ash. I've mentioned this before, I've burned the very same coal that was being used in a Van-Wert stoker in a Franco Belge hand-fired stove and the consistency of the ashes from the Van Wert were as usual slightly chunky. The coal from the hand fired stove was like talcum powder. Barely a speck of anyhting in it.

Having said that the clumps should not be that large and you should be able to break them up easily with your hands. Generally the faster you run it the more likely you are to get these clumps.

There's a old pamphlet here from Van Wert that bescribes how the coal will look when burnt and even metions that it may not all fully burn.

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”