Direct Vent Keystoker using Pellet Pro Exhaust

homeskillet
Other Heating: pellet

Post by homeskillet » Thu. Aug. 09, 2018 8:41 pm

Does anyone have a direct vent Keystoker 105 adapted to use 4" pellet pro exhaust (all plumbing downstream of direct vent unit is pellet pro) to include a pellet pro wall thimble. Its all stainless steel and I cant understand why it wouldn't work but I thought id throw it out here for discussion. Thanks in advance

McGiever
Stoker Coal Boiler: AXEMAN-ANDERSON 130 "1959"
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: BUCKET A DAY water heater
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 414A
Coal Size/Type: PEA,NUT,STOVE /ANTHRACITE
Other Heating: Ground Source Heat Pump and some Solar

Post by McGiever » Thu. Aug. 09, 2018 11:35 pm

The 4" pellet pro pipe is too small to work on that coal stove as designed by Keystoker.
Nice try, but you're trying to reinventing the wheel. :baby: Just go with a proven method. :)

Stainless stove pipe is not what it is hyped up to be when using it with coal. And you could find a lot of reading on the subject right here.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 7:16 am

While its true, the direct vent unit has a 6" diameter pipe upstream of the exhaust fan (the stove side), its reduced to 4" dimension downstream of the fan where the pellet exhaust will be installed. 4" is 4", how can it be to small. Am i missing something?

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 8:34 am

Do you have this unit presently in your home?
Go ahead with your idea and report back so others may learn.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 11:18 am

You need to be very careful with choosing stainless stovepipe for coal. It's expensive and some grades are not going to fare well. The good stuff costs even more. I'd stick to black steel.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 8:45 pm

McGiever wrote:
Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 8:34 am
Do you have this unit presently in your home?
Go ahead with your idea and report back so others may learn.
Ive got a 3" pellet exhaust on my pellet stove (which is being deep 6"ed). My coal stove has 4" exhaust. After looking around i see that Harmon uses pellet exhaust pipe on the DVC-500 so the idea holds water. When i get it installed ill send pics

samhill
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: keystoker 160
Hand Fed Coal Stove: hitzer 75 in garage

Post by samhill » Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 9:06 pm

I would tend to think it would work but you may have to play with your draft settings & or fan speeds (if possible).The optimal man-o meter setting may need an adjustment but once found it may well work quite well except the noise level might increase.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sun. Aug. 12, 2018 10:48 pm

samhill wrote:
Sat. Aug. 11, 2018 9:06 pm
I would tend to think it would work but you may have to play with your draft settings & or fan speeds (if possible).The optimal man-o meter setting may need an adjustment but once found it may well work quite well except the noise level might increase.
I am obviously missing something. The "direct vent" Keystoker 105 is designed for a 4 inch exhaust just downstream of the direct vent unit and...... a 4 inch exhaust pipe is 4 inch exhaust pipe, whether it's a 4 inch stainless pellet pipe exhaust or 4 inch stainless stove pipe exhaust. In saying this, it is clearly evident that the pellet exhaust approach is not as popular as i thought it would be. Gonna have to keep doing research !

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 6:39 am

When all else fails, just read the manual...the manufacture has the Best Advice for what will work with their product.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 7:34 pm

McGiever wrote:
Mon. Aug. 13, 2018 6:39 am
When all else fails, just read the manual...the manufacture has the Best Advice for what will work with their product.
The manufacturer is vague..... it call for 4 in stainless pipe downstream of the direct vent unit.

Rob R.
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: EFM 520
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Chubby Jr

Post by Rob R. » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 9:40 pm

homeskillet wrote:
Thu. Aug. 09, 2018 8:41 pm
Does anyone have a direct vent Keystoker 105 adapted to use 4" pellet pro exhaust (all plumbing downstream of direct vent unit is pellet pro) to include a pellet pro wall thimble. Its all stainless steel and I cant understand why it wouldn't work but I thought id throw it out here for discussion. Thanks in advance
If Keystoker calls fro 4" stainless, and this Pelletpro piping is 4" stainless, I can't see why it would not work.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Tue. Aug. 14, 2018 11:33 pm

Pellet stove piping has proprietary joint connectors that vary across brands which seldom interchange. And all come in certain common factory lengths, so not as easy as hacksaw cutting for odd lengths either.
From starting the 4" pipe off the DV an expensive adapter is need first thing. (~$117.00) and w/o buying an adjustable slip pipe for any adjustment will force the stove's position in or out to match factory lengths.

And since this is a Direct Vent every joint needs high temp sealant due to operating always (24/7) at a positive pressure...so more joints are more potential leaks to always inspect and to maintain.

IDK what Keystoker recommends, but there are not many pipe options out there approved for positive pressure Direct Venting of highly corrosive fuel exhaust, but what few that do exist are not cheap. :roll:
Sell Sheet  DTM Kits.pdf
.PDF | 117.1KB | Sell Sheet DTM Kits.pdf
Brochure  DirectTemp for MultiFuel.pdf
.PDF | 2MB | Brochure DirectTemp for MultiFuel.pdf
105K_Stoker_Direct Vent_servicemanuel5.pdf
.PDF | 1.4MB | 105K_Stoker_Direct Vent_servicemanuel5.pdf
It might be worth mentioning here that a PowerVent, w/ it's Negative Pressure can use common stove pipe and fittings, and w/o sealing joints also. ;)

ASea
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Alaska Kast Console II
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Coal Chubby
Baseburners & Antiques: Glenwood Modern Oak 114, Glenwood 30 "Estate" Warm Morning 120
Coal Size/Type: Sherman Anthracite Nut/Stove from C&T Coal
Other Heating: Peerless Boiler with Cast Iron Baseboards

Post by ASea » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 12:55 pm

I'll tell you what, I do inspections on oil burners for my FD the "Authority having jurisdiction". The manufacturers recommendations are what we go by as they are considered the ultimate experts on the heating appliance. So if your house burns down or some other calamity befalls you, ultimately if you did not follow manufacturer instructions and then local code to the letter your insurance company could have a reason not to cover the claim. That being said, I hate power vents. They are loud and one of the reasons I don't own a stoker. Good luck and be safe.

McGiever

Post by McGiever » Wed. Aug. 15, 2018 1:13 pm

Can not let the lack of a natural drafting chimney hinder the sale of any stove. Sarcasm intended.

homeskillet

Post by homeskillet » Sat. Aug. 18, 2018 8:47 pm

I am very familiar with the use of self sealing pellet exhaust systems......just not in a coal stoker stove application. I am going to seal the piping with high temp rtv irregardless of the self sealing properties of pellet pipe. My concerns were more with the exhaust gas temps to be expected with a coal. My Ravelli pellet stove regularly ran at exhaust gas temps in excess of 500 f. I am told a direct vent stoker runs at a temp less than 500. If this is indeed true, then temp isn't a issue. Still feeling it out though...... but,....I can put a 4" pellet stainless steel exhaust including the appliance adapter, thimble and all plumbing for under $200.00. More to come

Return to “Stoker Coal Furnaces & Stoves Using Anthracite (Hot Air)”