Anthracite Vs Bituminous ?

dsteinel

Post by dsteinel » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 10:32 am

What are advantages of anthracite vs. bituminous coal in a fireplace insert? I can buy a Brunco Hearthgolw fireplace insert, but the manual says you burn bituminous coal in it. My other option is to get a Hitzer 983 insert which burns anthracite? Will I have regrets if I gt the Brunco? Could I burn anthracite in the Brunco althought the manual says burn bituminous it it?

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 10:54 am

Depends on what is available in your area, but BIT coal smokes more. Anthracite is cleaner burning.

dsteinel

Post by dsteinel » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 10:59 am

The manual on the Brunco insert I am thinking of buying says the recommended fuel is "stove size bituminous coal." Does that mean I can't burn anthracite it? I live in a suburb of Baltimore and am afraid my neighbors would object to burning smokey bituminous coal? I have no experience with a coal burner so I don't want my lack of experience to get me in an untenable situation. Wouldn't want to go throught expense and hassle of installing a bituminous coal insert and have my neighbors upset with me.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 12:25 pm

sounds like you're probably better off burning anthracite.

coaledsweat
Site Moderator
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260M
Coal Size/Type: Pea

Post by coaledsweat » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 1:09 pm

dsteinel wrote:I live in a suburb of Baltimore and am afraid my neighbors would object to burning smokey bituminous coal?
Bituminous would cost about as much as anthracite in Maryland. Save yourself the grief and get an appliance designed for anthracite.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 2:45 pm

dsteinel -- Agree with coaldsweat, glad to see on the other thread you chose the H983. I live in the city Greensburg,Pa
and I am certain that we create no smell/smoke or I would have heard about by this time. Anthracite nut in bulk here is
currently US $225/t ... I picked up 10 5gal containers = 400# yesterday. baldeagle

DOUG

Post by DOUG » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 4:37 pm

I know a few people with the Brunco and they can only burn wood and bituminous coal in theirs. The way the draft is designed in the stove, I understand is the reason. I would stay away from the Brunco, it's not even in the same league as the Hitzer. You'll be happier with an anthracite burning unit.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Thu. Feb. 12, 2009 4:51 pm

I'll put it this way. Everyone that has access to bituminous and anthracite only burn anthracite. Bituminous is no fun unless it's the only game in town.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Fri. Feb. 13, 2009 12:17 am

not true freddy, I have burned both, I have easy access to both, but anthracite is a little more $$. I would prefer bituminous in a hand- fired or a stoker. once you know how to burn it properly the fact that it has volitiles and produces some soot does not create any additional mess or problems. after you know how to burn it properly with the right setup/equiptment the only dirt/ dust issue is the same between both coals, coal dust from loading and ash dust from ash removal. bituminous coal is more forgiving and easier to burn in many ways than anthracite. I would burn bit coal even if they cost the same $$ per btu. there are certain considerations that make burning bit coal less desierable (unless you have a stoker) such as living in very close proximity to others or an inapropriate setup for bit coal (less than 8" chimney, poor stove etc) but that is really it in my opinion.

the main problem is there are very few purpose built bituminous coal burning stoves or stokers. most people that do burn bituminous burn it in combo wood/coal furnaces, woodstoves, or anthracite stoves. whenver you try to burn somthing in an appliance not well designed for it you are not going to have a very fun experiance; especially compared to burning anthracite in a stove/boiler etc. that was well designed for it from the ground up. think of it this way- how much would you like anthracite if you kept trying to burn it successfully in a fisher wood stove?? you might get it to "kind of" burn, but not well and it would be an ungodly hassle, this combined with a lack of knowledge on how to fire bit coal properly is why most people prefer anthracite. take greg and his bit stoker for example; if he would have installed it in refractory hearth and allowed a 4" ash bed to form around it like it was designed, he probably would have enjoyed the experiance much more, but without that type of installation for a stoker that was designed for it, coke trees would form and cause problems with the burn. bituminous issues are adressed by equiptment that is designed apropriately for it and proper firing techniques, then it burns as well or better and easier than anything else.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Fri. Feb. 13, 2009 5:07 am

Berlin, thank you. Very informative.

dsteinel

Post by dsteinel » Fri. Feb. 13, 2009 4:18 pm

It sounds like some stoves are designed for bit coal, some for anthracite. Does anyone know how the designs of these two type of coal stoves differ? Does the anthracite stove allow for greater draft which is required for burning anthracite? I have heard that some manufacturers can set up the same stove for one type of coal or the other and mark the stoves accordingly.

Berlin

Post by Berlin » Sat. Feb. 14, 2009 12:34 am

i know that Vermont Castings does make their vigilant in a bit coal model, and, from what I hear, it works decently well, other than them (and even theirs isn't that great) I know of no other manufacturor that builds, based on what I've seen, a decent bituminous stove designed from the ground up - at least in current production.

dsteinel

Post by dsteinel » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 6:24 am

I talked to someone who is knowledgeable about the Brunco coal burning insert and they told me that the reason it won't burn anthracite is that the firebox is too big. Should I believe them? Does a large firebox in a stove mean it won't burn anthracite?

Doug

lowfog01
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Mark II & Mark I
Coal Size/Type: nut/pea

Post by lowfog01 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 6:43 am

dsteinel wrote:I talked to someone who is knowledgeable about the Brunco coal burning insert and they told me that the reason it won't burn anthracite is that the firebox is too big. Should I believe them? Does a large firebox in a stove mean it won't burn anthracite?

Doug
I'm so happy! After reading the forum and paying attention I think I know the answer to this one.

Yes, believe them. Anthracite likes a deep coal bed and a confined space; a large fire box is going to spread the coal bed out too much and cause the fire not to burn as well. It would be very frustrating to attempt to burn Anthracite in such a large firebox. You should go for a stove designed for the fuel you intend to burn.

How'd I do guys? Please educate us both if I missed anything. Lisa

Pete69

Post by Pete69 » Sun. Feb. 15, 2009 7:12 am

I cant imagine having a fireplace insert that could have too big of a firebox to burn anthracite. Just look at the size of the firebox on some of the coal furnaces. I believe burning Bitt. coal requires less primary combustion air, and a source of secondary combustion air to burn the volatiles.
The Vermont casting's has a restricter plate for the primary air inlet and a hole from the outside of the stove that lets secondary air into the exhaust baffle, for burning Bitt. coal. The baker insert, although designed to burn anthracite, may be able to burn Bitt. coal as well, because it has air inlets on the loading door as well as the ash door.
Burning Bitt. coal needs a stove designed to effectively burn off the smoke and volatiles with the use of combustion air,baffles, and secondary burn chambers.
As far as burning anthracite in the Brunco, I don't know as I am unfamiliar with that stove.
My recommendation is the Baker insert.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”