Cleaning Glass in Door

njh7

Post by njh7 » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 12:00 pm

What is the best product to try to clean the door of the LL Pioneer we have? Have been using liquid cleaner, but still looks 'cloudy' and appears etched. Is there any way to clean the etching?? Also, how often should we clean out the stove inside?? Thanks, Leisure Line, for such a wonderful stove!!! :D
Last edited by njh7 on Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Jan. 29, 2009 12:12 pm

Nope. Most use the Rutland glass cleaner, wet newspaper, etc...it will etch over time, even if cleaned everyday. Sorry. :(

Do a search on Glass Cleaning, or Glass Etching

Cleaning Glass/Stove

Glass Cleaner

Do a search on Stove Cleaning and/or Maintenance. Most do a cleaning at least once or twice per season, depends on the build up of Ash, draft, etc...Just have to use your judgement and keep an eye on it. A thorough cleaning needs to be done at the end of the heating season to stop the corrosion, rust, etc...

A quick vacuum once a month around the ash bin, etc...is always good too.

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Fri. Jan. 30, 2009 4:39 pm

Its NICE the first FEW months ... after that .. its NOT worth cleaning anymore ...( my opinion )

I wonder if Jerry is working on something new??? Like Better Glass?

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Fri. Jan. 30, 2009 6:18 pm

Nothing new to report on the glass. It all comes from the combustion fan blowing all the junk around inside of the stove.
Jer

njh7

Post by njh7 » Sun. Feb. 01, 2009 11:07 am

Thanks for all the info. I did research and am trying the Weiman cleaner mentioned. My question still is: are there any products which will 'polish' off the etching, or is the answer just to replace the glass every season to keep it looking clearer? Jerry, is there any suggestions from Leisure Line??

av8r
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Leisure Line Hearth with twin turbos (sounds like it)

Post by av8r » Sun. Feb. 01, 2009 1:48 pm

njh7 wrote:Thanks for all the info. I did research and am trying the Weiman cleaner mentioned. My question still is: are there any products which will 'polish' off the etching, or is the answer just to replace the glass every season to keep it looking clearer? Jerry, is there any suggestions from Leisure Line??
It's not glass, it's a ceramic material. Once etched, there is no way to clean it like new. The acid from the coal etches the material. Enjoy it while you can see through it, then settle in to enjoy the orange glow the rest of us have gotten used to.

OR

Buy a new piece of ceramic every 3-4 months.

Jerry & Karen

Post by Jerry & Karen » Sun. Feb. 01, 2009 7:13 pm

I'm afraid what av8r says is true. It's almost impossible (or impossible) to keep it clean. If you hit on something let us know. Sorry
Jer

StanT

Post by StanT » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 7:45 pm

I took a scotch brite pad, Put it on my disc sander, took door off, cleaned it with window cleaner and the scotch brite on the sander, Cleaned all the residue off in about 5 minutes. Then I cleaned it again with paper towels, Now the good part as I have been playing with rouge, diamond dust paste etc. none worked sooooooo, In the bathroom I go and get about 3 inches of ultra brite toothpaste, smeared it all over the glass, took sander and buffed it for about 5 min. It got super clean but did not take the scratches out. so now I vacuum the dust off the glass before I clean it. Now for the good part. after the tooth paste I cleaned it very good with window cleaner, green works is what I like. after about 3 times I let it dry for 15 min. I use a teflon dry lube on my Hunting stuff. So I got my spray can of JIGALOO out and sprayed the glass. Then I wiped it with a clean rag and you could just feel how slippery it got. Then I let it dry for 10-15 min. put it back on. the fire looked as bright as the first lite. Still gets dirty but cleans ez after every clean with green works I spray the JIGALOO on, working good for 5 days and was fairly easy to do. I will keep you posted every week to see how long till the glass gets bad again. Ps Jigaloo is in some walmart and home depot stores less than $5.00 :D

Stan

009to090

Post by 009to090 » Thu. Feb. 19, 2009 8:08 pm

We use Fast Orange (with pummace) Hand Cleaner. (Walmart, Home Depot, etc....) Buy the gallon container, it comes with a pump. 2 or 3 pumps on a dry paper towel. Scrubb in circular motion. Cleans transparent ceramic 'glass' to crystal clear clarity. Been using it on the doors for our FireplaceXtrordinaire for 10 years now. Started using it this year on our DVC-500 door.
Amazing stuff. Make sure stove has cooled down first. If you need to clean the 'glass' while stove is still hot or still burning, use a single-edged razor blade, and start scraping quickly.

Chris F.

morrisfamily3098

Post by morrisfamily3098 » Fri. Feb. 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I have given up although mine is in the basement :bang:

StanT

Post by StanT » Fri. Feb. 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Been a while, with the jigaloo its ez to clean and still clear as ever,

Stan

coalvet
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Crane Model 404, Harman MK I
Coal Size/Type: Nut
Other Heating: NG Boiler

Post by coalvet » Fri. Feb. 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Single edge razor blade in the appropriate holder works like a charm. Seriously, this works for me just like scraping paint off a window!

Rich

Cold_Mainer
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Pocono BV 90,000 BTU
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by Cold_Mainer » Fri. Feb. 27, 2009 11:26 pm

njh7 wrote:Thanks for all the info. I did research and am trying the Weiman cleaner mentioned. My question still is: are there any products which will 'polish' off the etching, or is the answer just to replace the glass every season to keep it looking clearer? Jerry, is there any suggestions from Leisure Line??
I tried using rubbing compound with an electric buffer. No luck. Bought some special mineral pada that are used to remove the oxidiation from car gheadlights. No luck.

I'm getting used to the orange glow........don't like it.......but 'It is what it is".

tvb

Post by tvb » Fri. Feb. 27, 2009 11:39 pm

StanT wrote:Been a while, with the jigaloo its ez to clean and still clear as ever,

Stan
What's a jigaloo?

Poconoeagle

Post by Poconoeagle » Fri. Feb. 27, 2009 11:42 pm

its a orange can of lubricant. spray all purpose lube. tricky catcy name , congruant with the younger crowds party mentality. :roll:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jig-A-Loo

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”