Cold Weather Coming to Your Area Soon

tjv

Post by tjv » Sun. Sep. 24, 2006 7:58 pm

Thats whats needed to get some action on here.!!!!
A hint of cold makes the heating guys phone ring.
My cousin is a plumbing heating guy . He said last month he has done zilch for furnace cleanings. One frost last week and he now has a backlog of 16 jobs!
Maybe it will get nippy and folks will be posting or answering on the boards. tjv

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 4:18 am

This forum only took off last year, currently it's doing quite well compared to last September. Click the statistics button on the top menu and look at the bottom of the page.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 9:02 am

Yep, the airport reported 38* last night, but they are about 300' lower elevation and near the city. The usually roprt about 4-5* warmer than I see on the farm.

I had frost on the roof of the garage, so heating season is here.

The next several weeks will be busy with buying coal, bringing it in. Finishing the coal bin. Installing a different chimney. Adding a pipe circuit to the shop etc. Gonna be a busy several weeks.

BUT I'm looking forward to putting the propane tank on a diet. My local propane supplier said that propane was going to be around $1.80 a gallon for pre-buy customers. At that price, without wood and coal supplimental heat my bill to heat my buildings and home would be in excess of $1400/month for a below freezing month. With coal, about $4-500. HUGE savings!!

Keep warm!!

Greg L

ktm rider

Post by ktm rider » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 10:05 am

$1,400 a month !! WOW.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 1:07 pm

And I'm not talking about keeping the place like a sauna either. I used to keep the house at 60-62*, the apartment at 45* and the shop at 40*.

The problem is the house [aka the MONEY PIT] is old, with sections aging from 1849 through 1950. The ceilings and attics that I can get at are well insulated, I removed siding and added 1" foam board and Tyvek house-wrap, and some of the 41 outside windows have been replaced with thermopane windows, and the rest have clear mylar sheathing over them for insulation. But the place is 4000 square feet and the hot water heat runs inside the un insulated walls in some areas and I can't separate out the un insulated areas from the insulated, And I can't just drain and blow out the system either. So I just have to heat the place.

With coal I have a warm home, I keep it around 70-72* What a luxury!!
Used to be when I came home from work and staying five nights in warm hotels, I just froze for several days in the 60* house [meatlocker]. Now I just go out and toss some more coal on the fire and turn up the thermostat. And in my new master bed and bath, I have hydronic [hot water] heated ceramic floor tile, so I have warm feet too!

I'm expecting to burn around 7-8 tons of coal this year and a few cords of wood, all of that will be less than $2000 I hope, and that is about 1/3 of my projected propane bill. It's worth the work and effort.

Greg L

BinghamtonNY

Post by BinghamtonNY » Mon. Sep. 25, 2006 1:49 pm

I'd love to see some pics of this place.. Sounds cool!!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”