Trip to Superior, Summit Today

Ashcat
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Hitzer 983
Coal Size/Type: Nut/Blaschak

Post by Ashcat » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 8:53 pm

I took a little trip today to the coal region to sample some coal. My grandmother was born in Centralia, so I've been to the region a number of times in the past, but never before as a coal burner.

First to Tremont (actually a Goodspring, PA address) and the Summit breaker. More than a little hard to locate, but I got help from a gas station owner. When I finally found it— the entrance (see below) was memorable and was a sight for sore eyes after driving for hours—the lady minding the scales was very patient with a beginner like me. I figured she'd just weigh the 5 gallon pales I'd filled, rather than weigh the vehicle twice :oops: . After getting 120 lbs for a test burn, I drove the few miles to Hegins, and the Superior breaker. With all I've read about Superior coal here, this is coal I am most eager to try. Well, those of us not from Hegins might assume Hegins is tiny, but it is not—it stretches for miles! Along the way, I passed the miner shrine pictured below, and stopped in Elsie's diner for lunch, choosing the Chuckwagon Special of the Day: a (sort of) chicken-fried steak sandwich next to three fried pierogies—the latter very good, but that sandwich is still barking. While at Elsie's, I spoke with some nice folks who pointed me toward the Superior breaker. Very picturesque setting. The pile from which I shoveled my ~150 lbs of nut coal was big—those boards at the top of the pile were 2x8's I think. When it came time to weigh and pay, I bragged to the cashier that mine was probably her largest sale of the day--$11.40. I had to wait behind the full-length trailer pictured below who likely had a little more than me. (If a tri-axle holds 23 tons, how much does that baby hold?)

Next on my route was Harmony in Mt. Carmel. However, I called and learned they were closed until Jan 5—foolishly, I didn't call until I got to Mt. Carmel itself.

Disappointed I didn't get to sample Harmony, I'm eager to test burn the coal I did get, but will wait for colder temps first. If Superior or Summit really sets itself apart from the South Tamaqua coal I have now, I may try to hire, this coming summer, the guy who delivered my current supply to fetch next winter's supply in June/July/August, a little farther north from where he gets it.

As I was trying to find these breakers, I reflected on how nice it would be to have latitude/longitude coordinates to plug into a GPS device—although that would have reduced the chances of me meeting some of the kind people I met. One thing that surprised me was how many cords of wood waiting to be burned I saw along the route. I figured that many more natives would be burning coal than wood, but price may be a factor—free is pretty hard to beat. Another surprise to me was how hard it was to locate any retail bagged coal. I wanted to try Kimmel's, having already burned about a ton of Blaschak earlier in the Fall, but no one seemed to have bagged coal for sale.

Overall, a very pleasant day. Thought I'd post a few pictures for those of us, like me, not from the area, and who've maybe never seen some of the places that get mentioned frequently here. (Some of the pics are in the Reply that follow this post)

Attachments

XMas08-Coal Trip 011.JPG
.JPG | 539.3KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 011.JPG
XMas08-Coal Trip 005.JPG

The Summit breaker

.JPG | 378.8KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 005.JPG
XMas08-Coal Trip 021.JPG

Not the greatest photo--taken while driving, with someone behind me

.JPG | 461.9KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 021.JPG
XMas08-Coal Trip 020.JPG
.JPG | 402.6KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 020.JPG
XMas08-Coal Trip 015.JPG

A small pile of nut coal at Superior

.JPG | 682.3KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 015.JPG
Last edited by Ashcat on Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 8:56 pm

Few more pics:

Attachments

XMas08-Coal Trip 017.JPG

How many tons for this trailer?

.JPG | 218.2KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 017.JPG
XMas08-Coal Trip 012.JPG
.JPG | 387.5KB | XMas08-Coal Trip 012.JPG

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Good fun! Thanks for sharing the pics.

Try to test each coal on equally cold days.

I'll guess 22 ton in the trailer.

I'm burning Superior.... I lit my first nugget on Oct 21st. It's still burning, but quite small now. I may have to add the second nugget sometime next week.

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:22 pm

Freddy wrote:
I'll guess 22 ton in the trailer.

I'm burning Superior.... I lit my first nugget on Oct 21st. It's still burning, but quite small now. I may have to add the second nugget sometime next week.
22 tons is, what, 5 or 6 of your nuggets? :lol:
How did you settle on Superior? "Failed" trials with other brands, or on reputation here?

Flyer5
Stoker Coal Boiler: Leisure Line WL110
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Flyer5 » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:25 pm

Sounds like a fun road trip . Burning coal is more than just trying to heat your home ,huh? Thanks for the pics . You will have to try Lenig sometime as well . I have coordinates to some ,when I get chance I will PM them to you .

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:28 pm

Ashcat wrote:I took a little trip today to the coal region to sample some coal. The pile from which I shoveled my ~150 lbs of nut coal was big—those boards at the top of the pile were 2x8's I think.
I look forward to these trips too! Lots of dirty fun. :shock: Pictures of these places is like going back in time.
BTW, you were in the stove coal pile. The nut at Superior looks like range. I have some. It's quite small. But the stove pile is very nicely sized.

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:39 pm

Cap said: BTW, you were in the stove coal pile. The nut at Superior looks like range. I have some. It's quite small. But the stove pile is very nicely sized. Wow--looks to be sized just like the nut I got from Summit and South Tamaqua. Oh well, hardly a surprise when the directions were: See that pile of coal infront of those trucks? That's the nut. from 100 yards away.

Flyer5: Burning coal is more than just trying to heat your home ,huh? Thanks for the pics . You will have to try Lenig sometime as well . I have coordinates to some ,when I get chance I will PM them to you .

Yeah, Lenig was on my list, too, but I had to be home before the wife got home from work. Even though I was home in the nick of time and had her car (Honda CRV) all cleaned up, I still got the comment: I just don't understand this obsession with coal. :mad: I wonder how many of us here have heard those exact words?

I'd appreciate any coordinates you might have. Thanks.

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:46 pm

Hey Ashcat I see you were in my neck of the woods today. I live about 5-6 miles from Hegins. Next time you are in the area, try Traci's Place for lunch. It's only about a mile from Superior. Much better than Elsie's ;)

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 9:59 pm

Ashcat wrote: Yeah, Lenig was on my list, too, but I had to be home before the wife got home from work. Even though I was home in the nick of time and had her car (Honda CRV) all cleaned up, I still got the comment: I just don't understand this obsession with coal. :mad: I wonder how many of us here have heard those exact words?
Took your wives car to the coal yards without telling her! :shock: Take her with you next time. :)
My wife and I grew up around coal so I don't have to worry about that because we both know the benefits of using coal (I'm sure your wife does too). The only thing my wife does say negative about coal is that she doesn't want to have to "shovel coal when she's 80" so she's making me keep the gas furnace even though we're both about 40 now. :mad: :)

Ashcat

Post by Ashcat » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 10:25 pm

jjmason said: Hey Ashcat I see you were in my neck of the woods today. I was in Ashland, too, on my way down 61 from Mt. Carmel southward (if my memory serves correctly). Very cute towns. BTW, I was again struck by how almost every house is white/light colored. Maybe it's my imagination.

Rockwood said: Took your wives car to the coal yards without telling her! No, I told her--she was driving my car for the day. She really does like the quality/consistency of the heat compared to forced hot air.

jjmason

Post by jjmason » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 10:32 pm

L ilive much closer to Hegins(born and raised) my mailing address is just Ashland RD. Yes that would have been 61. It turns right in Centralia towards Ashland. I never took notice to the majority of light colored homes...just used to it I guess. Shows the coal dirt better! :lol:

coalmeister

Post by coalmeister » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 11:12 pm

Thanks for taking the time to shoot & post the coal tour pics! Very interesting to see the Summit breaker as that is where my truckload came from.

VigIIPeaBurner
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Keystoker Koker(down)
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Vermont Casting Vigilant II 2310
Other Heating: #2 Oil Furnace

Post by VigIIPeaBurner » Tue. Dec. 30, 2008 11:51 pm

Ashcat - thanks for sharing your day trip :) You won't have to wait too long for some cold weather to gage the differences of you samples. Should be screaming cold shortly :D ... but only outside.

steveyrock

Post by steveyrock » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 4:13 am

I was at Superior 12/23 to get nut coal for a friend.I was behind a tri axle who was loading rice coal.I was amazed how fast those conveyor belts load a big truck compared to a chute.Before the guy loaded me he asked if I wanted it dry and being it was 24 degrees I said hell yeah, but the 2800 lbs still froze a bit and we had to break it up some to shovel off the pickup.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 5:56 am

Ashcat wrote:How did you settle on Superior?
I had not seen a nugget of coal for 30 years, nor burned any in my entire life when I bought my supply of Superior. It was this forum that suggested that Superior IS superior. So, I honestly don't have much to gauge on, other than a few friends that are burning Kimmel, but I can say my Superior is very clean, very consistent, and does burn well. All three friends that are burning Kimmel are happy too. It's a bit different, but is working very well for them. One of them burned through 3 ton of Reading when he first got started. That stuff was hit & miss....some bags were OK, other bags were awful with lot's of fines, chunks of rock, and didn't seem to have much heat.

I'm burning around 50 lbs a day.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”