NY Times Article on Coal Heat

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 4:58 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/27/business/27coal.html
Burning Coal at Home Is Making a Comeback

....Online coal forums are buzzing with activity, as residential coal enthusiasts trade tips and advice for buying and tending to coal heaters. And manufacturers and dealers of coal-burning stoves say they have been deluged with orders — many placed when the price of heating oil jumped last summer — that they are struggling to fill.

“Back in the 1980s, we sold hundreds a year,” said Rich Kauffman, the sales manager at E.F.M. Automatic Heat in Emmaus, Pa., one of the oldest makers of coal-fired furnaces and boilers in the United States, in a nod to the uptick in coal sales that followed the oil crises of the 1970s.....
Where are these forums... plural they speak of. :D

Edit: LOL, I see the bucket with the PVC pipe in one of the pictures. OK which one of you is Mr. Buck?

rockwood
Hot Air Coal Stoker Furnace: Stokermatic
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Rockwood Stoveworks Circulator
Baseburners & Antiques: Malleable/Monarch Range
Coal Size/Type: Lump and stoker + Blaschak-stove size

Post by rockwood » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 5:27 pm

Don't know Mr. Buck but I was also wondering what forum(s) they were talking about when I read that article yesterday.??

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Sat. Dec. 27, 2008 5:57 pm

Some of the "Home and Garden" type forums and HVAC forums might have some information. The only other place that even comes to here would be the forums on heath.com but they deal mostly with wood and send everyone here with coal questions. :D

FYI if you need info on wood or wood pellets that's the place to go.

gaw
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA-6
Coal Size/Type: Rice from Schuylkill County

Post by gaw » Sun. Dec. 28, 2008 9:37 am

Richard S. wrote:Where are these forums... plural they speak of. :D
What about ron54? :annoyed: I heard he was starting a coal forum, maybe thats the other one. :down:

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Mon. Dec. 29, 2008 3:52 pm

This is the NY Times and they do embellish,just a little. :shock:
DON

WIcoal

Post by WIcoal » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 4:13 am

Like heating with coal? Wish you could convince a friend that coal heat is better than heating with corn or wood pellets? Send the NY Times (Burning Coal) article in an email. Better yet, send the article in an email to any local pellet stove dealer. Even better, send the article to manufacturers of wood pellet stoves that make multi-fuel stoves and manufacturers of corn stoves; and ask them to make them be able to also burn Rice coal.
I have. But, if just one person in the whole country asks the manufacturers, and nobody asks the dealers to ask the manufacturers; nothing will change.
Does anyone care and is there a need? You bet; call Blaschak Coal and ask Jack Stauffenberg if your asking the dealers and manufacturers of pellet and corn stoves, to have stoves that can also burn rice coal; is important to the coal industry. The coal industry needs your help. No they are not going to shut down, but they need growth into the residential heating market. Your help could get rice coal bags into more retail locations, especially here in the Midwest. Please help!
(I am not a salesman or dealer, just someone who wants my local pellet stove dealer to sell rice coal because they sell a multi-fuel pellet stove; that burns rice coal. That dealer is 15 miles away. Coal stoves and coal is over 100 miles away.)
Thank you.

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Wed. Dec. 31, 2008 5:45 am

Or, they are talking of every forum on the internet....from gardening, to machining, to changing baby diapers, every forum eventually mentions the high cost of heating the home and then....and then..... "Have you been to coalpail.com & seen what those people do?"

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”