100,000 Tons of Coal

tugcapt

Post by tugcapt » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 8:59 am

I have brought coal to that plant rewinder.The reason they import coal is its cheaper. Coal miners overseas work unsafe mines for slave wages therefor its cheaper to import it.No other reason.Even the ships that bring it here are cheaper.The deck hands make about 150 a month spend almost all there lives on the ship and send there money back to whatever country they come from.there are almost no American ships on the high seas anymore.
Keith

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 9:22 am

Cool pics Capt.,
I grew up living along the Delaware River in NE Phial and worked in Claymont just below the Barry. My work location just south of Sun Oil in Marcus Hook. Tell us a little about the tug boat itself. How much power, size engine, etc. How many hrs per shift and where are the tugs docked? How many guys work a tug? River pilots? How far up the river do they steer the ships? What does the *M* stand for?

On a another note, when we were teens. we would canoe the Delaware near Penny Pack Creek in NE Phila. Tug boats running solo going against the tide would make the best wake. We'd hang along the edges of the channel when we spotted a tug off in a distance. Once the wake approached, we paddle like mad to *ride the surf*. Lots of fun.

We would canoe from the Holmesburg Prison in Phila to the Delaware River over NJ, to the Rancocas Creek & Dredge Harbor and anywhere else we could muster up the energy. Using the tides was the only sensible way to move north or south. This often meant camping out overnight.
Fishing in the dark or by campfire was hard but that was the best time to catch the huge Carp.

ken

Post by ken » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 9:58 am

Very cool pic's. I use to work on a push boat on the Mississippi. Nothing like seeing a super tanker unloaded moving down the river. :D

rewinder

Post by rewinder » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 12:55 pm

Tugcapt, It always amazed me watching tugs manuver ships thru the Portsmouth area with it's strong currents, during the almost slack hi tides.

I've caught many a big striper drifting the bridges there and furthur up past the Shiller plant. Fishing at the mouth of the river it was always a thrill to see a nuke sub going in or out. Also it cracked me up to see the crew of those bulk carriers haul up a lobster trap they had tied to the rail, while there tied up to the docks

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 3:26 pm

Awesome! I'm making Tim Allen's noise of approval... grunt grunt grunt

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 7:38 pm

Thanks for the great pics. Coal, boats and water all together. You can't beat that for interesting. :clap:

MrMikie

Post by MrMikie » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Nice pictures Keith, I enjoyed them.

I know where its ending up too.

I live on the other side of the river in Groton, CT.

It is neat to see them being towed with the long cable. I have seen it a few times when I am out in my boat of the South side of Fishers Island NY. The tug was probably driven by you Keith, LOL

tugcapt

Post by tugcapt » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 8:48 pm

Hi Cap to answer your questions.The tug"North Sea" is 126 ft x 40 feet drawing 16 feet.Two main emd engines Eletro Motive Diesel with is a division of GM.they put out 4,200 HP.Our home port is NY Harbor our yard is on Staten Is.pushing a loaded barge will burn about 4,000 gallons in 24 hrs.Towing a little less. most places I go I have enough trips where I don't need a pilot.The assist boat with the M on the stack is a Moran tug out of NY but have boats in just about every harbor from Portland Maine too Houston Texas.
You are so right about the currents on the Del River.From the Delaware Capes (Cape Henlopen and Cape May)to Philly Takes about 8 hrs on the flood and about 10 hrs on the ebb.Rewinder mentioned the currents on the Piscataqua river in Portsmouth
N.H.That river has incredible currents.No matter how many times I go up that river by law I have to take a pilot.The only other river that runs that that hard is the East River in NY.Anyway thats all the time I have at the moment (god I hate going to the mall) Might have some ice pics soon.
Keith

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”