Pea Vs. Stove

valleycoal

Post by valleycoal » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 3:58 pm

I hear stove coal being talked about a lot, is that the same size as pea?

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 4:02 pm

According to the Reading anthracite know your coal sizes chart, stove coal is 2-7/16 x 1-5/8. I have a bunch of it, it's burning really well in my stove. Some pieces are tennis ball size or even a little bigger.

valleycoal

Post by valleycoal » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 4:08 pm

Thanks, so it is larger then nut. Nice to know

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 4:23 pm

While on the topic if you're burning an excessive amount of coal or having trouble keeping a fire going pea coal is your best choice as it's much easier to control and has a longer burn time. The lareger the sizre coal is allows for more air which in turn accelerates burning.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 4:54 pm

It sure does. I'm trying to throttle down my fire right now. It was waning, and I seem to be enjoying a balmy temperature of 75* in here when the fire is behaving itself. As the environment chilled to an icy 71*, I added some stove coal to the fire and poked up through the grate to drop some ash. In about an hour the stack temp was going over 200* so I turned in the ash door knob a little and adjusted the baro to a rough .02. A little closing of the mpd. Stack temp is coming down a little and the fire seems to be calming down. Next time I poke ash I'll try doing every other hole, It seems I can utilize the ash buildup itself to tone the fire down somewhat. Sometimes I poke the ash out and the whole bed of coal sinks down to about halfway up the firebricks. This happened earlier and the coal I added seemed to all catch on rapidly in less than an hour. It got too roasty toasty in here so I opened the door to the unheated garage, a great ploy of mine to bring the cottage temp down quickly.
And these are all the variables that modern heating systems have eliminated. Where's the fun in that?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Fri. Dec. 19, 2008 5:49 pm

valleycoal wrote:I hear stove coal being talked about a lot, is that the same size as pea?
Here are the standard sizes for Anthracite coal .Also not shownd Is EGG Size it is larger then Stove
**Broken Link(s) Removed**http://www.readinganthracite.com/mining_sizes.html

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”