Ready for the Storm?

Devil505

Post by Devil505 » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 4:11 pm

Just got in from sledding with the kids & grandkids. We got maybe 10" here but my cul de sac wasn't plowed well & we couldn't get out until my son-in-law picked us up with his 4x4 GMC. Snow blower got a good work out this morning & it was perfect snow for it........light & dry. Every dam time I clean up the end of the driveway, another plow NOW comes by & I have to do it again!! :mad:
Getting a steady light "Ocean Effect" snow here all day.

ray in ma

Post by ray in ma » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 10:13 pm

They said the storm watch would be over by 3 A.M. but I guess they didn't say what day.
Went out about 10 this morning and moved about 8" out of the driveway but it never stopped snowing all day, only got about another 3" or so

kootch88
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by kootch88 » Sat. Dec. 20, 2008 10:33 pm

PC 12-47E wrote:The snow has just started in midcoast Maine and 15*F.

The SF-250 is running 200*F on the stack and the heat collector is pumping out 260*F Air.

Hay Devil, were you in Framingham for the blizzard of '78? I was in Worcester at that time , with

about 4 FEET of snow... Not fun!

R.S.
I was in Swansea. We got four feet and had a whole week off from school. People forget we had quite a bit of snow shortly before that storm which added to the fun. I made a couple hundred bucks shoveling driveways, made an igloo big enough to stand in in a drift that was near 20 feet high and about 50 feet long. I guess that is a cave, not an igloo.

billw

Post by billw » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 12:22 am

We got about 6" yesterday and another 4 to 6 is predicted tomorrow. I had to fix the snow blower last night. I was going down the side of the house instead of hand shoveling the path. I got a little to close to the chain link gate. I'll be buying a new gate this spring. Fortunately only the shear pin broke on the blower. I knew I should have shoveled the dam path. :oops:

Freddy
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 130 (pea)
Coal Size/Type: Pea size, Superior, deep mined

Post by Freddy » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 5:54 am

Sunday, 6AM, Central Maine: A dusting yesterday, 10-18" predicted for later today & tonight along with 30 MPH winds. Sounds like a doozie!

TimV
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Older Ashley Cabinet ( pre US Stove gobble up)
Hand Fed Coal Furnace: Energy King 480 EK
Coal Size/Type: Warm weather smaller coal. Cold weather larger coal.
Other Heating: Oil Furnace Backup when repairs are needed

Post by TimV » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 7:36 am

:D You Asked For It :!:
Mother Nature Delivered It :!:
Now Get Out And Enjoy It :!:
This is shaping up to be what was once termed a "normal winter" although I see temps are climbing to upper 30's latter this week

Hollyfeld

Post by Hollyfeld » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 7:48 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:I had a nice 9 hour drive yesterday from Warwick, RI to home. Should have been about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive. :mad: Drove into the storm around New Haven. Gotta love Rt. 95 and the Tappan Zee Bridge. :x

We have around 8" of snow here. I'm leaving shortly for Maryland to get the pick-up I bought. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to the driveway...
They do not know how to drive in it here.
I saw enough of that yesterday. Anywhere the traffic opened up a little there were cars and big SUVs in ditches, facing the wrong way up against a guardrail, etc.
That sux...

I left work at 5 and would have gotten home faster than normal if I didnt stop for a pizza. 206 was EMPTY from Bedminster all the way to Byram.

Not that im rubbing it in. :roll: The last ice storm we got back in October took me over 2 hours. Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.

around 8" here, if not more.

CoalHeat
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1959 EFM 350
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman Magnafire Mark I
Baseburners & Antiques: Sears Signal Oak 15 & Andes Kitchen Range
Coal Size/Type: Rice and Chestnut
Other Heating: Fisher Fireplace Insert

Post by CoalHeat » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 7:51 am

206 was EMPTY from Bedminster all the way to Byram.
Unheard of...you must have been dreaming. How many times have you sat in traffic on that road?

ScottD

Post by ScottD » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 10:33 am

Good luck Freddy!
I love the snow. Somehow it doesn't feel so cold when there is snow on the ground. Maybe it's just me.
At least your all set for coal! Always have heat at your place.
It has been snowing continuously here since Friday afternoon. Just dusting through yesterday and last night, but it has not stopped. Supposed to get more today and into the night.
But we are New Englanders and we deal with it! :doh: Right Freddy? :D

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 8:26 pm

We got just under a foot of snow yesterday, just off the NE tip of Lake Ontario. Last night went down to 2* and snowed much of the night. Today we got snow most of the day, accumulating over another foot. About 20* now with high winds about 25 mph. Hitzer simmering away beautifully. By the way, I live about 30 miles from Tug Hill. Snowman is not exaggerating about Tug Hill snowfalls. Draws snowmobilers from all over the NE, but is especially popular with Pennsylvanians. Have done a lot of 4 wheeling up there all year-round myself. :)

gambler

Post by gambler » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Not much snow here in western Pa but a lot of wind and it is 6* outside now. Boy I love this time of year although I could do without so much wind. But I will take the cold how ever I can get it.

slb04786

Post by slb04786 » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 8:08 am

It got down to -25 here Saturday night. Started snowing in Northern Maine about 6:00 PM Sunday night. Monday morning it's blizzard like conditions. There was a 4' snowbank at the end of my driveway this morning. I brought the 4 wheel drive into work this morning. I'll fire up the 6.5' snowblower this evening. I probably won't be able to get in the driveway without snowblowing a pass or two.

Paulie

Post by Paulie » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 8:31 am

We got 15" snow Fri-Sat, plus another 6-7" of really heavy snow Sunday here a little south of Boston. Cold here now, freezing up hard outside.
The stove is a champ. Touching it only every 12 hours at full tilt, much easier to keep steady heat while out plowing
and de-icing. The wife does not have to touch it. As far as equipment-shovels, three Jeep Wranglers with plows, small
loader, 1 snow blower, and a couple of young bucks to keep store clean while the rest of crew is on the road. Ah,,,,
winter. :roll:

New Hope Engineer
Coal Size/Type: Nut pea

Post by New Hope Engineer » Mon. Dec. 22, 2008 8:33 am

Wood'nCoal wrote:I had a nice 9 hour drive yesterday from Warwick, RI to home. Should have been about a 3 1/2 to 4 hour drive. :mad: Drove into the storm around New Haven. Gotta love Rt. 95 and the Tappan Zee Bridge. :x

We have around 8" of snow here. I'm leaving shortly for Maryland to get the pick-up I bought. Maybe tomorrow I'll get around to the driveway...
They do not know how to drive in it here.
I saw enough of that yesterday. Anywhere the traffic opened up a little there were cars and big SUVs in ditches, facing the wrong way up against a guardrail, etc.
Glad I don't live on that side of the river anymore! :P

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”