Is There Any Such Thing ???

envisage
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Werner Foundry 350a
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Warm Morning 400, Fire Boss Wood/Coal Hyrbrid
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat, Pea, Chestnut and Stove

Post by envisage » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 9:19 am

I am burning coal for the first time in my Warm Morning Model 400 down in the basement, and I am loving every minute of it! Prior to this I have been burning wood. I have access to plenty of firewood every year. I have 2 other wood stoves, one of which is in my living room which I use to supplement the Warm Morning down in the basement. Here's what I would like to know, is there a stoker stove that can also burn regular firewood and/or nut coal? I would love to replace the wood stove in the living room with a coal stoker stove, but I do not want to be tied to burning rice or buckwheat coal only, as I have 12 tons of nut/stove anthracite coal, and 17 cords of firewood already on the property. Thanks! :-)

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 9:25 am

Moved to the discussion forum , Off-topic is for non coal questions.

There's nothing that I'm aware of like that

WNY
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Keystoker 90K, Leisure Line Hyfire I
Coal Size/Type: Rice

Post by WNY » Thu. Dec. 18, 2008 10:00 am

Not stoker type that can burn both wood/coal. The problem, you don't have any place to put the wood, the stoker/grate is right in the middle (Normally) and very small. You probalby couldn't even put a log on it easily.

Only the Hand Fired ones can normally do wood or coal.

LsFarm
Stoker Coal Boiler: Axeman Anderson 260
Hand Fed Coal Boiler: Self-built 'Big Bertha' SS Boiler
Baseburners & Antiques: Keystone 11, Art Garland

Post by LsFarm » Sun. Dec. 21, 2008 9:00 pm

There are no actual stoker stoves that burn nut and wood. However there are gravity hopper fed stoves that burn nut coal, and maybe even wood.

Look into the Hitzer line of stoves.. they have several hopper feed stoves that use gravity to let the coal in the hopper feed the fire.. Thus extending the burn time between loading more coal.. I believe one of the Hitzer models has a removable hopper so you could burn wood in it with the hopper removed.

http://www.hitzer.com

Greg L

Floydman89
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Leisure Line Pioneer

Post by Floydman89 » Tue. Dec. 23, 2008 4:34 pm

The Hitzer 30-95 can burn wood, but the fire box is not that big.... I'm sure if you started using it with coal.. You would just sell the firewood and buy COAL!!!!!!!

grizzly2
Other Heating: Oil foilfurnace, Jotul#3 woodstove,electric base board.

Post by grizzly2 » Wed. Dec. 24, 2008 2:41 pm

The Hitzer 30-95 has a firebox quite a bit larger than my Jotul 3 woodstove. I burned a little wood in mine with the hopper in the correct position for coal feeding and the hopper was in the way of stoking the fire with anything but small splits of wood. I reversed the hopper so that is slopes toward the back and reaped two benefits. There was now much more clearance between the hopper and the front of the stove to put larger pieces of wood into the firebox, and the hopper blocked flame from going directly up the flue. With the underdraft only, the wood does tend to burn with the action of a pellet stove blowtorch flame. However by closing the thermostaticaly regulated draft door and opening the ash door vents just a little, I did manage to heat quite nicely with wood. Another 'however" is that the glass blackened immediately. I'll bet it would burn stove coal OK with the hopper removed. Stove coal may tend to not feed out the bottom of the hopper until the coal in the firebox has dropped down too far (not shure). Of course this is not the stoker you say you would like, nor is a Hitzer set up to burn rice or wheat. :?

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”