Uses for Barley Size Coal?

PelletstoCoal

Post by PelletstoCoal » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 12:50 pm

Just curious, I know of stoves that use Stove coal size ,Nut ,Pea ,Buckwheat , Rice, but Barley ? who/what uses this size? Can you mix some into the rice to enhance the burn for a stoker? Is it used in industrial/commercial applications? Never hear anyone mention it.

Frank

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 1:03 pm

PelletstoCoal wrote:Just curious, I know of stoves that use Stove coal size ,Nut ,Pea ,Buckwheat , Rice, but Barley ? who/what uses this size? Can you mix some into the rice to enhance the burn for a stoker? Is it used in industrial/commercial applications? Never hear anyone mention it.

Frank
Yes you can mix it with rice stokers most of it is used in commercial units . But there are losch boilers that where made to burn it as well Rice Buck Pea. also there are others brands. Look at the link below it will show you the different standard sizes for Anthracite coal .Rice is 5/16" x 3/16" - Barley is 3/16" X 3/32" There is also about 6 other sizes that some coal breaker's make . That are not on the standard size Anthracite coal chart 002 003 004 & 005 Rice - Buckwheat # 2 & Egg Size coal .

http://www.readinganthracite.com/mining_sizes.html
Last edited by coal berner on Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 1:27 pm

A Losch will burn anything from Barley up to pea. I've had customers that used it in EFM's as well not that I'm recommending it. Be a lot of problems during mild weather if you do that. Depending on where you're getting your coal you might have some barley mixed in with the rice. At one point the Barley was significantly cheaper than the rice but to the best of my knowledge it's not much cheaper anymore so it's kind of pointless anyway.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 1:49 pm

Richard S. wrote:A Losch will burn anything from Barley up to pea. I've had customers that used it in EFM's as well not that I'm recommending it. Be a lot of problems during mild weather if you do that. Depending on where you're getting your coal you might have some barley mixed in with the rice. At one point the Barley was significantly cheaper than the rice but to the best of my knowledge it's not much cheaper anymore so it's kind of pointless anyway.
10 bucks cheaper a ton down here Forgot To Put in The Other sizes For The Losch boiler I fixed it :P Richard have you
seen many losch boiler . They where made 8 miles from me lots of them around here. Alot of the breakers have them.
Blaschak has 7 or 8 of them from small ones to huge ones with 4 ft to 6 ft grate beds . Superior has one aswell as a efm 700 . Blaschak also has Spencer & Losch high breads units .

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 2:07 pm

Just a handful.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”