If I Get More Clinkers...

Cap
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Harman SF 250, domestic hot water loop, heat accumulator
Coal Size/Type: Nut and Stove
Other Heating: Heat Pumps

Post by Cap » Mon. Dec. 15, 2008 10:37 pm

Hello List!
If I see more clinkers in a one batch vs. a different batch of anthracite, what does this indicate? Better coal? Not better coal? Are there pros? Cons?

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Mon. Dec. 15, 2008 11:52 pm

You Will Get More Clinkers with that coal it has more Iron Content it also burns hotter then any other. That coal as a
fuzion temp between 2800f to 2900f So you are burning hot to make it clinker. Plus the ash content will be higher Then what you where burning before.You have Burn this coal before You should know this. So either You give up the extra BTU's per lb and put up with the higher ash content / clinkering Red ash coal . Or go back to the lower Ash content lower BTU's per lb white ash coal you where burning.The coal you where burning before was 7 To 8% ASH Content white ash Mammoth middle Split Vein.The coal you are burning now is 12% Red ASH High Iron Content coal From The Buck Mountain Vein & The Orchard Vein.Cut your Air back this coal does not need as much air as with other coal. Also do you have the Foil off your Baro you will have higher temps in the stove and if you have a stong draft you will be making more heat with more heat you will make clinkers .

Cap

Post by Cap » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 7:50 am

coal berner wrote:You Will Get More Clinkers with that coal it has more Iron Content it also burns hotter then any other. The coal you where burning before was 7 To 8% ASH Content white ash Mammoth middle Split Vein.The coal you are burning now is 12% Red ASH High Iron Content coal From .Cut your Air back this coal does not need as much air as with other coal. Also do you have the Foil off your Baro you will have higher temps in the stove and if you have a stong draft you will be making more heat with more heat you will make clinkers .
I've seperated the stove pieces from the nut/pea collection. Saving the stove coal for later. The nut/pea does take some getting use to as the smaller pieces continued to find their way into my ash pan. This is the reason I dislike pea used with the Harman grate system. I think we got the bottom of the pile on Sat. Lots of fines too. But the stove coal is the perfect size for my liking. 100% stove coal next time. Sup's. stove is even on the small side but that's how I like it. It's manageable to shovel.

I am seeing clinkers and alot of junk in the ash pan in the past few days. The output temps are EXACTLY the same as with Larry's coal. Maybe the new batch will burn longer, I haven't determined yet. My draft is set up the same. I am using the baro set at .08 since we have been damp & mild last few weeks.

Side note: I think I will look at coal before having it loaded next time if possible. I really do not like 50% pea sized coal mixed in with the nut. It burns nice but difficult to shake without losing.

coal berner
Location: Pottsville PA. Schuylkill County PA. The Hart Of Anthracite Coal Country.
Stoker Coal Boiler: 1986 Electric Furnace Man 520 DF

Post by coal berner » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 12:10 pm

Cap wrote:
coal berner wrote:You Will Get More Clinkers with that coal it has more Iron Content it also burns hotter then any other. The coal you where burning before was 7 To 8% ASH Content white ash Mammoth middle Split Vein.The coal you are burning now is 12% Red ASH High Iron Content coal From .Cut your Air back this coal does not need as much air as with other coal. Also do you have the Foil off your Baro you will have higher temps in the stove and if you have a stong draft you will be making more heat with more heat you will make clinkers .
I've seperated the stove pieces from the nut/pea collection. Saving the stove coal for later. The nut/pea does take some getting use to as the smaller pieces continued to find their way into my ash pan. This is the reason I dislike pea used with the Harman grate system. I think we got the bottom of the pile on Sat. Lots of fines too. But the stove coal is the perfect size for my liking. 100% stove coal next time. Sup's. stove is even on the small side but that's how I like it. It's manageable to shovel.

I am seeing clinkers and alot of junk in the ash pan in the past few days. The output temps are EXACTLY the same as with Larry's coal. Maybe the new batch will burn longer, I haven't determined yet. My draft is set up the same. I am using the baro set at .08 since we have been damp & mild last few weeks.

Side note: I think I will look at coal before having it loaded next time if possible. I really do not like 50% pea sized coal mixed in with the nut. It burns nice but difficult to shake without losing.
Then do not get the Nut because it always as the smaller size nut mixed in with the bigger size nut Look at the standard size Anthracite chart. You will see the sizes are very close in size . Stove coal size 2 7/16 "X 1 /58"- Nut 1 5/8 " X 13/16"- Pea 13/16" X 9/16" Buckwheat 9/16" X 5/16" - Rice 5/16" X 3/16"- Barley 3/16" X 3/32" The clicker is from the coal being RED ASH coal . Larry's coal is White Ash coal . No clickers . On A side Note did you every take the heat
exchager plate off your stove and clean it out since you had the stove . You should do it once a year to clean the Fly ash out if not you will loose some heat transfer. ON top in front of the stove there is a bolt lossen it until the plate comes
out . Clean it out put it back in .
http://www.readinganthracite.com/mining_sizes.html

Cap

Post by Cap » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 5:02 pm

Larry's coal is White Ash coal . No clickers . On A side Note did you every take the heat
exchager plate off your stove and clean it out since you had the stove . You should do it once a year to clean the Fly ash out if not you will loose some heat transfer. ON top in front of the stove there is a bolt lossen it until the plate comes
Yes, I have cleaned it often.

I just had to kill my fire due to all of the ash. It may burn hot but it sure jams up the firebox. I'm choking ash over here. :sick:
Regards to sizing, I'm spoiled with Larry's nut. Nice big rocks with no fines. I have to say, Larry's stock from last summer ranks up with the best I have used. Maybe lower heat but easier to handle and less dust.

BIG BEAM

Post by BIG BEAM » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 6:51 pm

I'm surprised you find the Superior to be inconsistent in size.I have 5 ton and it is the most consistent coal I've got.A little on the big side if anything(I like that)
You find the UAE more consistent? I was thinking of using UAE next year.
DON

deacon3j

Post by deacon3j » Wed. Dec. 17, 2008 8:56 am

Something I noticed last weekend was the size of the clinkers in Reading nut. Was running low and was going to get a load of Blashak when the truck battery died. Called the wife to go grab a couple of bags to last the night and she came home with Reading from a different dealer. Had to completely reset the furnace and even then didn't get the heat like the Blashak gives. Next morning it was burned down nice but had a dark red cast to it. Shook it a bit and then poked and started finding lots of clinkers, big 1's too. A couple were the size of softballs! Plus, there was at least half again as much ash. Don't know why but I've got a full bin of Blashak now and this new batch seems to be even hotter than what I got before. Life is good again!

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”