Rocks & Stones in Rice Coal?

CasualObserver
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6
Coal Size/Type: Rice - now using Rossi Coal

Post by CasualObserver » Fri. Sep. 01, 2006 10:15 am

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the forums here for about a year. I recently decided to take the plunge into a dual fuel Keystoker KA6 boiler. I just received me first load of coal for it and notice what appears to be a decent amount of stones in the coal. It is rice sized coal. I have attached a couple pictures and would appreciate feedback on if this is normal. If it is not normal, do you think it would mess up the keystoker by using this coal? The stones seems to be the same uniform size as the coal.

Need less to say, if it is not normal, I am also not happy having paid for a bunch of rocks either :roll:

I have never heard anyone mention stones of any kind on the forums so seeing this is making me leery.

Thanks!

Attachments

Coal3-low.jpg
.JPG | 50.2KB | Coal3-low.jpg
Coal1-low.jpg
.JPG | 51.2KB | Coal1-low.jpg

Richard S.
Mayor
Stoker Coal Boiler: Van Wert VA1200
Coal Size/Type: Buckwheat/Anthracite

Post by Richard S. » Fri. Sep. 01, 2006 11:17 am

That appears to be ash, I've never seen it with that much. Maybe a fe pieces now and then. As far as using it that shouldn't be a problem as they are sized correcly and will just pass through.

FedFire47

Post by FedFire47 » Fri. Sep. 01, 2006 3:34 pm

As usual the admin is right lol. One thing to remember though if you do have rocks in your coal and they hit your grates, the grates will break. No questions asked. Trust me I know.

CasualObserver
Stoker Coal Boiler: Keystoker KA6
Coal Size/Type: Rice - now using Rossi Coal

Post by CasualObserver » Fri. Sep. 01, 2006 3:43 pm

If all of that is ash and there is a decent amount, I am guessing that will cut down on the BTU of the coal since ash obviously doesn't burn. Given that this must be bottom of the bucket coal, what would it normally go for in PA as a pickup without delivery charges?

I expect you are right too, I took about ten of them out, tapped them with a small hammer today and they break apart quite easily, not like solid rocks. They also weigh about the same as the coal, not as heavy as normal rocks.

Rather irked as you might imagine at this point.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”