Bashing the Coal Industry

the snowman
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Jotul 507
Coal Size/Type: Nut, Stove coal, Egg coal

Post by the snowman » Thu. Dec. 11, 2008 4:30 pm

I just happened to be on msnbc.com and I came across a video clip of the Rachel Maddow show where coal was the topic. Specifically clean coal. She had an internet video that she stated was produced by the coal industry using small pieces of coal singing christmas songs altered to promote the idea that coal is clean. She then had an individual who is against the coal industry talking about how bad and dirty coal is. This individual went on for several minutes bashing the coal industry as did the host of the show, Rachel Maddow. It was painfully obvious she had no idea about the coal industry or the type of coal power plants consume. She was looking to make the most of this piece and her guest via satelite was allowed to bash coal. She had no reps from the coal industry to voice a rebuttal to what was being spewed as the truth about coal. This show airing this may not single handedly have an affect on the coal industry, however, shows like this as a collective may have a profound affect. As we all know the internet is a great place for coal haters to skew the truth about coal and indirectly/directly influence public opinion and eventually policy. Our current president elect just proved how powerful the internet is by his extensive us of it during the presidential campaign.

At this point I'll refer to the science experiment of the frog in a pan of water. A frog placed in a pan of water placed on a stove burner that is turned on will not jump out of the pan and will in fact boil to death, however, drop a frog into a pan of boiling water, the frog will immediately jump out. I believe the coal industry and we as coal burners need to make sure we don't become that frog in a slowly warming pan of water and become desensitized to the small attacks on our coal industry and our ability to purchase and burn coal and be witnesses to the death of the coal industry. I posted this with the intention to keep the treats both large and small in the forefront of our minds. Are we in boiling water and don't know it?

The snowman.

Dann757

Post by Dann757 » Thu. Dec. 11, 2008 7:24 pm

Yeah what is going on? I'm really enthusiastic about anthracite, less emissions than towel head sourced fuel oil, American all the way. I'm collecting basement coal from fellow Americans that are happy to get rid of it. Who is behind this coal bashing? The petroleum industry? Is this another conspiracy to extort money from Americans who took it when gas went through the roof? Why is gas so cheap now ? I guess they saw how far they could rob us, and I personally stopped all unnecessary driving.
Now oil is cheap so who is going to invest in alternative energy? I heard thousands of wind turbines and dozens of nukes would have to be built to even come close to what coal generates. Nukes cost billions, and the government can't even decide to put nuclear waste in Yucca flats after all the research and reams of paperwork.
I heard China puts a coal plant online every week. They don't give a s#$%. I don't know if global warming is a crock or not. That little pro-coal jingle was pretty weak. I saw the one with the anti-coal guy in the hard hat and that made me mad.
Nobody is talking much about algae cultivation either. I heard 10% of the area of New Mexico could supply all the algae based oil the whole country needs.
Hey, man, I just want to be able to enjoy my coal heat when it's 15* outside like it was last week...

miracleon06

Post by miracleon06 » Thu. Dec. 11, 2008 8:03 pm

Last night at work we were watching CNN and a commercial came on bashing coal. It was saying that there is no such thing as clean coal. I couldn't help of wonder how much coal they were using for the electricity to produce their commerical. Or the fact that they were obviously in the middle of nowhere for filming the commercial. Something tells me they didn't take donkeys to get there.

rrob311
Hot Air Coal Stoker Stove: Reading Allegheny
Hand Fed Coal Stove: Russo #2 Coal Wood
Other Heating: Monitor 441 Kerosene heater

Post by rrob311 » Tue. Dec. 16, 2008 9:45 am

The EcoNazi's and big government liberals can bash coal all they want, but when it is <25 degrees outside it will ALWAYS be accepted as heating fuel when people are freezing. I heard that Obama wants to bankrupt the coal industry. HOPEfully(excuse any pun) the state of PA has enough state govt. support to not allow any federal interference with the local coal economy. But who knows, unvented Kerosene heaters are illegal in the great state of MA.

johnlen3

Post by johnlen3 » Wed. Dec. 17, 2008 7:39 am

We purchased a Keystoker coal/oil furnace in July.We are still waiting for it as there was a very strong demand.Since than,Obama was elected President and we are very worried about the future of coal.We MUST do everything we can to protect our natural resources and jobs right here at home!If you hear a news story or politician talking bad about coal,call them,send an E-mail,write a letter.This is going to be a rough 4 years.

Return to “Coal News & General Coal Discussions”